What's new

Looking for Suggestions please

Ok, so reaching out for some help to noses far wiser than mine (or at least more experienced ones). The last time I bought cologne was probably 2003. Dunhill X-centric, not necessarily proud of it - but I probably had being in nightclubs or other peoples beds more in mind than what a scent actually was. Had a job shortly after that didn’t allow employees to wear scents so I lost the habit and think the closest thing to a cologne I’ve had since has been Old Spice. But lately I’ve been enjoying new aftershaves and want to continue that into colognes and eau’s.

So looking for suggestions of favorite scents that might hit some of the notes I remember liking about x-centric; citrus/floriental/spice/woodsy/musk combos.

From what I’ve read online, these are the notes of x-centric:
Top Notes: Cypress, Green leaves, Nutmeg, Clary Sage, Grapefruit, Cardamom, Cinnamon
Heart Notes: Freesia, Rose, Lotus
Base Notes: Cedar, Guaiacwood, Patchouli, Amber, Musk.

Any suggestions?

Do you like incense or any other type of scents? Candles? Old books? The smell of freshly cut 2x4's?

Perhaps consider going on a sniffing expedition at a department store.

Penhaligon opus 1870.

This is exactly what you are describing.

Call around locally. You will find a store that has samples out for you to try.

This also is a favorite of mine when I want that woodsy appeal.

proxy.php

Opus 1870 is a great suggestion. Try it if you can find it. Some Art of Shaving stores carry Penhaligons. I've never smelled X-Centric, but based on the notes you listed, you may enjoy L'Occitane Eau des Baux. You may have a L'Occitane store near you so you can get your nose on it fairly easily. Eau des Baux features the notes of cypress and cardamom just like X-Centric.

Do you like incense or any other type of scents? Candles? Old books? The smell of freshly cut 2x4's?

Perhaps consider going on a sniffing expedition at a department store.

Great question! Candles I enjoy thoroughly, incense less so. The smell of old books, leather, walking through live woods w/ foliage more so than 2x4’s

Opus 1870 is a great suggestion. Try it if you can find it. Some Art of Shaving stores carry Penhaligons. I've never smelled X-Centric, but based on the notes you listed, you may enjoy L'Occitane Eau des Baux. You may have a L'Occitane store near you so you can get your nose on it fairly easily. Eau des Baux features the notes of cypress and cardamom just like X-Centric.

That is sounding very appealing, I’m going to check these out! Thanks!

Penhaligon opus 1870.

This is exactly what you are describing.

Call around locally. You will find a store that has samples out for you to try.

This also is a favorite of mine when I want that woodsy appeal.

proxy.php
I’ll definitely try that. Someone told me that Oscar Wilde was a Penhaligon’s wearer, not sure which scent, but then again, I guess what 19th century gentleman wouldn’t be dabbing a Penhaligon scent?

Top Bottom