What's new

Looking For Suggestions On A Razor

Great thread!! You have all of the ‘usual suspects’ at multiple price points.

The main thing is to enjoy the journey!! :a29::a29:

I would suggest an open comb or slant razor since you are curious in trying those you’ll most likely end up trying both types along the way if you continue to use de razors.

They are also more efficient compared to the other two mild razors you currently have.

There are some good suggestions such as the Parker 24c for the OC and also the Merkur 37c is smooth and efficient.

The PAA Bakelite open comb slant you get to try both an open comb and a slant with the same razor... however it may be a good idea to start with either just an open comb or slant first so you are familiar with how they shave.

I find the Bakelite open comb slant very efficient and smooth as long as you don’t apply hardly any pressure since the light weight of the Bakelite razor can make you use too much pressure if your used to using a heavier razor.

Good luck with your next razor.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Being on the road a lot, it's nice to have 2 different "shaving kits".

I'm going to suggest an "out of the box thinking" option.

As a frequent traveller, I find that the Feather "Artist Club" folding straight razor is a great travel companion. Very easy to travel with, and unlike traditional straight razors no need to strop or hone, as it uses disposable blades like the DE.

There's the more inexpensive one ... Feather Artist Club SS Razor, Black ... and the more expensive "deluxe" one ... Feather Artist Club DX Folding Pearl Razor ... so you can pick the one that suits your budget. I have only tried the latter, so cannot offer a personal comparison between the two. (But remember, they take the same blades, so it's the handle & blade holder that makes the difference between them.)

As a frequent traveller, I find that the Feather "Artist Club" folding straight razor is a great travel companion. Very easy to travel with, and unlike traditional straight razors no need to strop or hone, as it uses disposable blades like the DE.

There's the more inexpensive one ... Feather Artist Club SS Razor, Black ... and the more expensive "deluxe" one ... Feather Artist Club DX Folding Pearl Razor ... so you can pick the one that suits your budget. I have only tried the latter, so cannot offer a personal comparison between the two. (But remember, they take the same blades, so it's the handle & blade holder that makes the difference between them.)
I'd have to agree, I use a Razorine for travel. Very slim and easy to pack, and easy to learn.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

I would suggest an open comb or slant razor since you are curious in trying those you’ll most likely end up trying both types along the way if you continue to use de razors.

They are also more efficient compared to the other two mild razors you currently have.

There are some good suggestions such as the Parker 24c for the OC and also the Merkur 37c is smooth and efficient.

The PAA Bakelite open comb slant you get to try both an open comb and a slant with the same razor... however it may be a good idea to start with either just an open comb or slant first so you are familiar with how they shave.

I find the Bakelite open comb slant very efficient and smooth as long as you don’t apply hardly any pressure since the light weight of the Bakelite razor can make you use too much pressure if your used to using a heavier razor.

Good luck with your next razor.

Oh! Decisions, decisions :euro:. I will go ahead and say the razors I WILL eventually be trying out will be a vintage gillette 59 fatboy and/or a 68 slim, a slant, an open comb and Doc4!!! You really messed me up with that curve ball! I am for sure going to be getting a straight razor and that Feather is very tempting... BUT for now... I think it's going to be the RazoRock Game Changer .84-P or the Rockwell 6C (although that straight is really trying to make its way into the mix).

As they say here at B&B when in doubt “get both “ imho I think the Game Changer .84 is a great razor to add along your current ones.

It’s definitely more efficient than the Weishi and Merkur 34c and it’s a 316L Stainless Steel machined razor for less than $60.

As they say here at B&B when in doubt “get both “ imho I think the Game Changer .84 is a great razor to add along your current ones.

It’s definitely more efficient than the Weishi and Merkur 34c and it’s a 316L Stainless Steel machined razor for less than $60.

Yeah I think it's going be the RazoRock. I just need to decide on the handle, may have to wait for it to be in stock though.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Doc4!!! You really messed me up with that curve ball! I am for sure going to be getting a straight razor and that Feather is very tempting... BUT for now...

I'm glad you were engaged by my suggestion ... and I hope you enjoy whatever your eventual choice(s) are!

Budget is a bit flexible but under $70-80 would be good.

I need to take a side view photo of the slope I prefer on my Parker Variant and find a fixed razor that matches that level of aggressiveness. I think I read the Mühle R41 is very aggressive. I'm not sure what to get as far as that goes. I suppose you just get use to it.

Maggards video on YouTube of that razor is not very flattering. They point out several flaws.

I appreciate the different price point suggestions. Helpful. That Razorock Gamechanger looks intriguing... So does the Rockwell 6C. I just bought a Razorock Chrome brush and haven't had a chance to use it yet bet it looks and feels incredible!!! It has a great weight in the hand. See pictures below.

I've thought about getting my birth razor in a slim or fatboy. I may soon but not this go around.

I may do that later next time.

Thanks, I'm going to take my time and find a vintage I like but not this time.

On a side note I just thought I'd share the 2 new brushes I picked up. I have the RazoRock Chrome Silvertip Plissoft Synthetic with me on the road but haven't used it yet, can't wait! It's amazing that brush is so cheap. Great reviews of it as well.
proxy.php

The 2nd brush that I have only used once, this morning, is really nice as well. It'll be staying at the house though. The Semogue Owners Club Cherry Wood Handle Super Badger Brush.
proxy.php

I’ve had that same Plissoft brush for a few years, excellent brush.

Enjoy! Careful, though, it's more aggressive than your 34C. Maybe don't put a Feather blade in it just yet.

The only time I use the 34C HD is if my Variant isn't around, even then I usually choose the Weishi. The 34C is definitely a better quality/more solid build than the Weishi but it's just become a bit aggravating to use in that it is not aggressive at all. It seems to "clog" easily as well... but I may just in my natural progression be out pacing the 34C considering where I am at now. The Weishi is actually a really nice razor but it's not very aggressive.

As I said I love the Variant but having a fixed blade with really no play in the blade alignment will be a nice constant to rely on. Honestly I couldn't even tell you the number setting I use on my Variant which may sound strange but I just align it visually from the side view of the blade angle and go with.

As a fellow Variant partisan: when I took off for a month-long trip to Europe (Vienna/Salzburg/Prague/London), I bought a Parker A1R Travel razor with a pack of KAI blades and a tube of D.R. Harris Arlington shave cream (wanted the shave stick, but couldn't find it in time). Loved the setup tremendously, in terms of results and simplicity. In fact, my only knock against the A1R is a small-but-noticeable fit/finish matter: a tiny edge of the cap didn't take the chrome plating properly, so there's a tad o' brass showing. That's it, and if I bothered to contact Parker, I could likely get the cap replaced, but don't feel an urgent need since there's zero impact on the razor's performance. I love how the thing comes apart and stores in it's silly-tiny fitted leather pouch - travels seriously well.

Attachments

• europetravelkit.jpg
    europetravelkit.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 10
As a fellow Variant partisan: when I took off for a month-long trip to Europe (Vienna/Salzburg/Prague/London), I bought a Parker A1R Travel razor with a pack of KAI blades and a tube of D.R. Harris Arlington shave cream (wanted the shave stick, but couldn't find it in time). Loved the setup tremendously, in terms of results and simplicity. In fact, my only knock against the A1R is a small-but-noticeable fit/finish matter: a tiny edge of the cap didn't take the chrome plating properly, so there's a tad o' brass showing. That's it, and if I bothered to contact Parker, I could likely get the cap replaced, but don't feel an urgent need since there's zero impact on the razor's performance. I love how the thing comes apart and stores in it's silly-tiny fitted leather pouch - travels seriously well.

I have a Vetelli Bag I use on the road, it's great, holds plenty.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom