What's new

Looking for suggestions for a next razor

Heyo! I'm looking for some suggestions for my next razor. I don't need a new razor, but I do want one.
I'd like to try something a bit more premium than what I already have. I'm also in the EU, so I'm not looking to purchase from outside EU, which does eliminate some nice razors for sure.

The razors I currently have:
Rockwell 6S, Merkur 34c, RazoRock Lupo .95, Merkur 37c slant, Gillette slim, Mühle R41 OC, Fatip SLOC

And out of those, the one I use the most is the Lupo. I can get a very nice shave with the Lupo (and most of the other ones), and I like them. But I'm also curious as to what I might be missing out on. I'm looking at Timeless razors, Tatara (and a SE artist club for variety Hawk v3 maybe). Here's the stock at the store I'm looking at: Tatara, Timeless. I have a nice discount at Rasoigoodfellas I'd like to use. ;)

I wouldn't mind trying a Blackland Blackbird either, but there doesn't seem to be any stock in EU.

Any suggestions would be welcome - thanks!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have the ESC Claymore Evolution.... an Artist Club single edge razor.... I couldn't be happier. It is more expensive than the RR Hawk V3 but the head is at a 90 degree angle to the handle. It's very maneuverable...

Here's what a couple people with far more experience than I have say about it: Executive Shaving/Alpha Claymore Evolution. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/executive-shaving-alpha-claymore-evolution.612985/

Don't miss post #31.... in case you don't want to wade through the whole thing.

I have the ESC Claymore Evolution.... an Artist Club single edge razor.... I couldn't be happier. It is more expensive than the RR Hawk V3 but the head is at a 90 degree angle to the handle. It's very maneuverable...

Here's what a couple people with far more experience than I have say about it: Executive Shaving/Alpha Claymore Evolution. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/executive-shaving-alpha-claymore-evolution.612985/

Don't miss post #31.... in case you don't want to wade through the whole thing.
Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, after Brexit, it's a bit too much of a pain to shop from the UK. I will for sure keep this on my short list though. ;)

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Would ordering directly from the manufacturer’s retail site work better? I don’t know if the slightly less Scottish version shaves differently, but they look identical online. Might be USA, though, and they’re probably not EU.

Of your original mentions, why not a Tartara with a mix-and-match plates and caps? I’ve read great things about the Nodachi cap/Masamune SB plate from reviews by @SilentAssassin , @sarir97 , and a few others. With Timeless, their scalloped cap with either a scalloped SB or an open comb is visually stunning.

If you go with the RazoRock Hawk V3 series, I’ve heard the ‘standard’ is the best plate of the bunch. I got the one with the OC plate (it looked like teeth from the “Wallace & Gromit” movies, so it was irresistible) and it’s very efficient for people who aren’t me and let me shave my head from 19mm coconut fuzz down to BBS in one nick-filled ATG pass. I’m scared and a big fan of it, but also found from others that the standard plate is more than just right.

I do know Canada is not in Europe (except Montreal sometimes), but perhaps the Karve Overlander could be the new toy for your whisker trimming needs?

My apologies for rambling. To me, the non-slanted Fatip Grande (nickel-plated for luster, of course) is one of the most versatile luxury razors around, but no one; especially not me; stops there.

Best of luck in your quest and I look forward to reading your decision

Might be USA, though, and they’re probably not EU.
Thanks for the link! There wasn't any information about where the company is based on their site, or their social media. I assume US.

Of your original mentions, why not a Tartara with a mix-and-match plates and caps? I’ve read great things about the Nodachi cap/Masamune SB plate from reviews by @SilentAssassin , @sarir97 , and a few others.
That's probably exactly what I'll end up doing. I figure I'll get the full Nodachi from Rasoigoodfellas, and later on add on the Masamune cap and handle directly from the vendor.

Thanks for your suggestions - much appreciated!

If you‘re looking for a daily DE that delivers great shaves without any fuss or effort, I humbly suggest the Rex Ambassador. It does well with any blade, can be adjusted from extremely mild to moderately aggressive, and the knurling is like Velcro. I call it my boring razor because it delivers with zero effort like being on cruise control.
C1F99979-97D2-4552-A3B0-144302B0D390.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, after Brexit, it's a bit too much of a pain to shop from the UK. I will for sure keep this on my short list though. ;)
I talked to Brian Mulreany, the owner of ESC, the other day... He said Brexit is really hurting them.... without the sales to the EU, their numbers are down considerably... he gave me a number but I don't want to talk out of turn... but it shocked me.

So sad...

To clarify the relationship between ESC and Alpha Shaving in regards to the Claymore Evo, this explains it better than I could:

Last edited:
Given what you already own, I’d suggest stepping out of your comfort zone and shoot for an SE razor. The Blackland Vector is King in this division and Shane of Blackland will ship to Europe.

I talked to Brian Mulreany, the owner of ESC, the other day... He said Brexit is really hurting them.... without the sales to the EU, their numbers are down considerably... he gave me a number but I don't want to talk out of turn... but it shocked me.

So sad...

To clarify the relationship between ESC and Alpha Shaving in regards to the Claymore Evo, this explains it better than I could:
I agree, it's very sad that UK businesses are hurting because of this. Both myself and my wife shopped from the UK regularly before Brexit. I don't think everyone were aware of the consequences back then. Thanks for the video! He sounds very proud of what they've created.

Given what you already own, I’d suggest stepping out of your comfort zone and shoot for an SE razor. The Blackland Vector is King in this division and Shane of Blackland will ship to Europe.
Yes, the Vector is on my radar for sure. But I prefer to order within EU, and now that @Blackland Razors has mentioned that they won't support resellers for now, I'll hold out for a while longer. Or maybe pick one up next time I'm visiting the US. ;)

If you‘re looking for a daily DE that delivers great shaves without any fuss or effort, I humbly suggest the Rex Ambassador. It does well with any blade, can be adjusted from extremely mild to moderately aggressive, and the knurling is like Velcro. I call it my boring razor because it delivers with zero effort like being on cruise control.
That's a good looking razor! Thanks for putting it on my radar, I will add it to my wish list and read up on it. If this is your boring razor, what's your fun razor?

I just love the beauty of straight razors. I have the SR my grandfather used on board the USS Missouri in WWI. He was a barber on the ship..... but I'd never have the guts to shave with one.
I like the idea of straight razors. In all honesty, I think the learning curve would be too steep for me, and there would be too much to keep track of in regards to setting an edge, honing, stropping, etc. I actually still have an old Wapienica SS straight razor that I bought in 2009, still in mint condition. I've shaved with it exactly once, and I had weepers all over my face. Bad technique, probably bad lather, etc. But it did scare me off!

Fantastic that you still have your grandfathers razor. Maybe you could have a barber give you a shave with it, if it's in good condition. ;)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I like the idea of straight razors. In all honesty, I think the learning curve would be too steep for me, and there would be too much to keep track of in regards to setting an edge, honing, stropping, etc. I actually still have an old Wapienica SS straight razor that I bought in 2009, still in mint condition. I've shaved with it exactly once, and I had weepers all over my face. Bad technique, probably bad lather, etc. But it did scare me off!

Fantastic that you still have your grandfathers razor. Maybe you could have a barber give you a shave with it, if it's in good condition. ;)
It's in excellent condition considering it was manufactured in the early 1900s... no rust, etc... scales are good. But it would need to be sent to a professional honer before I'd have anyone shave me with it.

Still, it only costs around $30 plus shipping to get that accomplished. hmmmmm not a bad idea.

It's in excellent condition considering it was manufactured in the early 1900s... no rust, etc... scales are good. But it would need to be sent to a professional honer before I'd have anyone shave me with it.

Still, it only costs around $30 plus shipping to get that accomplished. hmmmmm not a bad idea.
Don't forget to make a post/story with photos here on B&B if you go for it! :)

Top Bottom