What's new

Looking for Steak Knife recommendations

My wife and I have decided that our steak knives are the weak link in our table set. We don't want anything bulky or serrated and we don't mind spending a bit. I don't think I could stomach $50/knife, but over $100 for a set of 6 or 8 is definitely expected. I could probably swing $25/knife if they're REALLY worth it, but I'm not in a hurry to part with my money unless it's needed. I could even swing a set of 5" utility knives if they're really good and priced right.

So, my needs, in a nutshell are: straight blade, not serrated; not big and bulky like the wooden handled ones from Outback; priced under $25/knife

so, what d'ya got? Thanks!

Yeah, I wouldn't buy really nice steak knives unless you are going to start eating off of cutting boards. Cutting on a dinner plate just destroys any nice edge you may have on a nice knife. I do have really nice Japanese kitchen knives and just ok steak knives for this very reason. Maybe just pick up something inexpensive that you like and don't give it another thought.

I always thought Henckels were decent knives. Decent quality for a decent price and, if you learn how to sharpen them properly, will stay razor sharp and last a good while.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Most steak knives have serrations at the tip. Probably for good reason. Cutting against a plate is going to dull your knife.

For a light handle I really like the style of the Laguiole steak knives. Also Opinel.

I would have recommended my knockoff Laguiole knives with rosewood handles. $40 on Amazon I believe (I got mine at TJMaxx for $20), 6 knives. These are clearly not well constructed knives (blades are definitely stamped metal), but they look decent and work decently well. Considering that I used to use butter knives, these were a step up.

http://www.amazon.com/Sabatier-Lagu...1384753301&sr=8-30&keywords=laguiole+rosewood

Real Laguiole knives would probably be excellent, but I don't know If you can get real ones for $25 per knife.

ok, so I'd possibly just find some Calphalon or Henkels, or even Chicago Cutlery knives locally but here's a link to some that might interest you.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nsearch.html?vwcatalog=chefknivestogo&query=steak

There are many to choose from here but most might not fit your price criteria.
The serrated Victorinox Rosewood set at $130 for 6 knives would fit within your budget and is an excellent choice, and a great value, but they are serrated and maybe not the look you're going for.
The Japanese Tojiro knives at $40 a knife or the German F Dick knives at $32.95 might fit your needs.
The Wusthof knives are great but the Gourmet series is quite inferior and I wouldn't recommend it, the Classic and Gran Prix series are much higher quality but also much more expensive at closer to $50 per knife.

Also, if you're in the states, The Bed Bath and Beyond Stores carry Henkels, Wusthov, and some other decent brands and have a 20% off coupon available occasionally that will even apply to cutlery. I think they give you one right away if you sign up for their mailing list. This may help push some more choices into your price range.

Opinel paring knives. Straight edge, available in carbon or stainless. Nice thin blades, sharpen nicely and take a wicked edge. Not so fancy you don't mind using them on a china plate, and then having to resharpen.

The serrated Victorinox Rosewood set at $130 for 6 knives would fit within your budget and is an excellent choice, and a great value, but they are serrated and maybe not the look you're going for.
Are their straight blades of equal quality. I have some of their kitchen knives and am happy with their quality. They're not nearly as good as my Shun knives and the knives from the recent group buy, but I have a Victorniox boning knife I actually prefer to use over a Wusthof boning knife that shares its drawer. If their steak knives are of similar quality, I'm sure I'd be happy with them. Amazon has 6 listed for a similar price you mentioned.

Are their straight blades of equal quality. I have some of their kitchen knives and am happy with their quality. They're not nearly as good as my Shun knives and the knives from the recent group buy, but I have a Victorniox boning knife I actually prefer to use over a Wusthof boning knife that shares its drawer. If their steak knives are of similar quality, I'm sure I'd be happy with them. Amazon has 6 listed for a similar price you mentioned.
Unfortunately, I don't think they offer them in a non serrated version. The victorinox knives are very good blades for the cost and are even used often in the professional setting. It's tough because there aren't too many really nice steak knives in a reasonable price range here. I looked at some really nice ones but couldn't bring myself to drop $400 on 8 knives that really aren't used all that often. The owner of the chefknivestogo website actually talked me out of the really expensive steak knives. I mean you battle to keep them sharp while they are constantly being made dull from the plates they are being used on. It's a shame to drag a beautiful knife accross a ceramic dinner plate like that and just destroy the edge every time you use it. The victorinox knives would be an excellent choice and for most of your guests probably one of the best steak knives they've ever used. Maybe give the serrated version some consideration. If you do decide to go the costlier route then the wusthof classic knives are really nice and bed bath and beyond will honor their 20 percent off coupon on them. This will make them even cheaper than any price you find on amazon. You'll still be at $40 per knife though. You can go to the store and actually hold the knives and see the quality. They carry the Shun knives now as well, same deal with the coupon.
The chefknivestogo web site is excellent, very competitive pricing and great to do business with. I've ordered from them several times. Good luck.

Last edited:
the brazilian made serrated steak knives with the wooden handle are very decent and last a long time.

I too invested in high end steak knives, but its not really worth it , the plates ruin them. unless you plan on using a wooden cheese board to serve your food :)

we have a few of these we got as gifts, i shunned them for a long time but they are quite nice

https://paderno.com/shop/jumbo-steak-knife/

Edit:

just read your whole post .. sorry about that heh.. the knives i bought that are VERY nice are Tojiro made from VG 10 but they are not within the budget im afraid. In case you are curious they are called Tojro DP steak knife. If you buy 6 you can get them for about 35$ a knife.

Last edited:
That's why we only use paper plates! ;)

i honestly know someone who eats his meat dishes on a small wooden cheese board like plate in order not to dull his steak knives. makes for an interesting eating experience too as there is not much noise :)

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Like many here, my wife and I are knife snobs. This actually led to us not having steak knives for many years--nice ones were too expensive to justify for how often we would use them. Last Christmas a friend bought us a set of Fiestaware steak knives (6 for $50 or so) and I quite like them. Decent quality non-serrated blades, available in different colors and color combos, comfortable handles, and Cheap enough to not care that they're not the ne plus ultra of steak knives.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Mine would be considered bulky but I have a 8 piece set from Costco made by Paderno. They were cheap, look nice and do the trick. I was looking at the Laguiole also when I was shopping for a set of steak knives but found out that putting them in the dishwasher might damage them so that's why I went with the Paderno.

Well, it looks like my wife found a great deal and pulled my research fun out from under me, haha. She ordered some Wusthof Grand Prix II knives for about $25/knife. They were on sale at Macy's today and may still be for $110 for 4.

Edit: I forgot to say, thanks for all of the advice passed along. I know I'll have more sharpening work ahead of me with straight blades, but I'm up to it. It's mostly me and my wife using them, so we'll just have to tread lightly when cutting down to the plate. I'll also have some practice sharpening it seems!

I think she made a really good choice and actually found something that met all of your criteria.
Which is something we were having a very difficult time doing.

She got a very good price and the reviews are quite favorable. Check ebay pricing if you want to add 4 more, you may find them slightly cheaper but then again it's ebay and you have to deal with everything that goes along with it.

I think they will serve you well. As long as you keep them out of the dishwasher (which I'm sure you already do, considering the high quality of your other knives) they will likely last you a lifetime.

Well done.

OP got his knives, but for anyone else on a steak knife budget, I'd like to suggest the Victorinox fibrox handled steak knife set, ~$50 from amazon. I don't have these steak knives, but I have plenty of other Victorinox knives from the same product line. I'm very impressed for the price. Extremely sharp, hold an edge, easily resharpened and dishwasher safe (yes, you may need to resharpen more often) but I'm in for the convenience factor.

Top Bottom