What's new

Looking for something special for the holiday season

The last couple years I have gotten something special and unfamiliar to us for the holiday season. Last year it was a country ham and country bacon. While it was not a winner it was fun. The year before was goose. Goosefat is AMAZING.

This year I have been contemplating charcuterie, but am open to other ideas.

Any thoughts?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Sometimes I do lobster and crab legs.

Hey, lobster and crab are red after you boil 'em...holiday color, right?

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
We always had tamales.
That way for Christmas we always had something to unwrap!!

Sometimes I do lobster and crab legs.

Hey, lobster and crab are red after you boil 'em...holiday color, right?

I'm the only one in the family who like lobster and crab. Probably would not be in the spirit of the season to get lobster for 9 just so I could eat it all while others went hungry. Then again I am pretty sure I am on the naughty list already so hmmmmmm.

Ground turkey fatty. The center is stuffing and you glaze the outside with a sweet cranberry.

This kind of sounds like a stuffed turkey meat loaf.

We always had tamales.
That way for Christmas we always had something to unwrap!!

Tamales were the Christmas eve meal for a number of years but we haven't been able to get tamales in a while. "mom" the tamale lady is no where to be found. What is available these days, around here, are beef or pork flavored masa wraps.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
This kind of sounds like a stuffed turkey meat loaf.

Not quite...but sorta. They're wrapped in a bacon weave. It tastes like a whole turkey dinner in one bite. Here's some pictures of my turkey fatty I entered in a BBQ competition. I won 4th out of about 53 entries.
IMG_1409.JPG
IMG_1412.JPG

Thanksgiving and Christmas are usually pre-destined. We have a party on Dec 23rd because no one every had parties near Christmas. I may do a pork tenderloin on the grill for that. Otherwise, there is usually country ham around, "trash" (chex mix), fudge, Beef Stick and homemade cheese balls.
My family always did oyster stew, corn pudding, sweet-and-sour green beans, rice with "gut gravy" but my wife and kids dislike.

That looks mighty tasty. Prime Rib is the traditional Christmas dinner. Not rotisserie though. Me and my rotisserie have not played well with each other. I don't want to risk a Prim Rib.
Thank you, it was some of the best beef I've ever ate. Given the cost and potential for failure I was concerned about cooking it on a rotisserie but found a recipe that seemed simple enough and the commentary was all positive. If you'd like I can dig it up.

Thank you, it was some of the best beef I've ever ate. Given the cost and potential for failure I was concerned about cooking it on a rotisserie but found a recipe that seemed simple enough and the commentary was all positive. If you'd like I can dig it up.

I’m always looking for new ideas, if you don’t mind sharing.

I’m always looking for new ideas, if you don’t mind sharing.
Of course not, B&B is all about sharing :)

Rotisserie Prime Rib

Ingredients
Meat:
-bone in prime rib with fat cap left untrimmed
-sea salt
-coarse cracked pepper
-grape seed (or other neutral high heat oil, extra virgin olive has too strong a taste)
-garlic cloves halved

Bath:
-12” x 10” x 2” disposable aluminum pan
-two bottles of a bold wine (white or red depending on your preference)
-4 large bay leafs
-6 garlic cloves
-any other aromatic herbs (rosemary, thyme) you’re partial to

Smoke:
- ½lb cherry, pecan or oak chips

Preparation
Meat:
-if not already done by the butcher truss the roast with twine parallel to every second rib
-make a slurry of oil, salt & pepper (1 teaspoon pepper & 1 tablespoon of salt per ¼ cup of oil)
-12 hours before grilling rub the meat with the slurry, tightly seal and keep refrigerated
-for each rib on the front and back of the roast make an incision (½” wide x 1” deep) and insert a halved garlic clove (increase or decrease the amount of garlic based on personal preference)
-1 hour before grilling remove from refrigerator, keep covered or sealed and let it come up to room temperature
-find center point of the roast and skewer

Bath:
-pour one bottle of wine into aluminum pan
-add bay leafs, garlic and aromatic herbs

Smoke:
-soak wood chips for 30 minutes then either add to cast iron smoker box or double wrap in aluminum foil and pierce vent holes

Grilling
-pre-heat grill to 275
-adjust burners so there will only be indirect heat to the rotisserie (i.e. if burners run side to side only have the front and rear burners on)
-add bath pan to the center of the grill so it will be under the meat
-add smoke box or aluminum pouch to the either the direct heat off the front or back burner
-add skewered roast to the rotisserie
-check roast every 30 minutes to insure there’s still wine in the pan, add as necessary
-cooking time will vary but plan on 20 minutes per pound to get to medium rare (for medium rare internal temperature of meat = 140deg), vary time to reach preferred doneness
-when grilled to desired doneness transfer to cutting board and remove skewer, tent with aluminum foil for 15 minutes
-carve as desired

Let me know if you try it and how it turns out :)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
I have gotten something special and unfamiliar to us for the holiday season. ... am open to other ideas.

Any thoughts?

Our family used to do "home-made pizza" for Christmas eve dinner. We'd get pita bread from the supermarket for the base, and load up whatever toppings tickled our fancy (tomato sauce base, then "whatever" ... olives, onions, shrimp, pine nuts, sausage, green pepper ... whatever one wants, really ... and then top off with a healthy helping of grated mozza.)

Really good, and with enough toppings, surprisingly filling.

(If you want something even more filling, make it with a fathead dough.)

Turducken....checking the menu spreadsheet...it was Christmas Eve dinner in 2011, along with sauteed spinach and salad and rolls

I am unapologetic in saying that I got it prepared from Savenors Market; it was sooo worth it, pop it into the oven and when done it carves effortlessly because it is boneless.

These are the guys making it:

Salmon? I buy filets, place em skin side down on HD foil, give em a shot of lemon juice and a double shot of Newman's olive oil and vinegar dressing, + S and P. Seal em in the foil, place in a 375 oven for 30 min. A spatula (turner) can then be used, leaving the skin behind.

Rack of lamb? Roast baby potatoes for 20-25 minutes, then place rack(s) atop spuds for another 20-25 min. 425 oven.

Quiche? Served with a lovely green salad?

Top Bottom