What's new

Looking for something more aggressive

I did some research here on the forum and other places and thought I came to a conclusion that the blackland dart would be a good option for me. But, I don't really see it for sale anywhere. It looks like they may not make it anymore 🤷 or maybe just oos.

Anyway, my current daily drivers are typically maggards v3a and merkur 37c slant. I like them both a lot, and I definitely feel that they were a good move toward the aggressive side, but I feel like I wouldn't mind something a little more aggressive. I feel like I've pulled together a few options that are aggressive, but I don't know that they are more aggressive than what I have used. Thoughts?

I did some research here on the forum and other places and thought I came to a conclusion that the blackland dart would be a good option for me. But, I don't really see it for sale anywhere. It looks like they may not make it anymore [emoji1745] or maybe just oos.

Anyway, my current daily drivers are typically maggards v3a and merkur 37c slant. I like them both a lot, and I definitely feel that they were a good move toward the aggressive side, but I feel like I wouldn't mind something a little more aggressive. I feel like I've pulled together a few options that are aggressive, but I don't know that they are more aggressive than what I have used. Thoughts?
The dart is no longer in production. I recommend blackland blackbird, rex ambassador, Stirling stainless (no longer made but can be found on BST), merkur futur

Fayiz D.

I did some research here on the forum and other places and thought I came to a conclusion that the blackland dart would be a good option for me. But, I don't really see it for sale anywhere. It looks like they may not make it anymore 🤷 or maybe just oos.

You might be able to tick up the aggression with a different blade. I didn’t see what blade you are using?

You might be able to tick up the aggression with a different blade. I didn’t see what blade you are using?
I'm using mostly Russian blades (gsb, Rubie, voskhod, ladas, and rapira specifically) and feathers.

Part of it is me just getting a taste of RAD... So maybe I just want to try something new ..

I'm using mostly Russian blades (gsb, Rubie, voskhod, ladas, and rapira specifically) and feathers.

Part of it is me just getting a taste of RAD... So maybe I just want to try something new ..
If you want to step up the aggression, try a BIC, Kai or Feather blade. I found that I really liked the Feather and BIC. I never got around to the Kai, but others on hear say it’s up there with the Feather

If you want to step up the aggression, try a BIC, Kai or Feather blade. I found that I really liked the Feather and BIC. I never got around to the Kai, but others on hear say it’s up there with the Feather
Yeah, I rotate feather in. I feel like one of the common descriptions I've heard with dart was being able to feel the blade against your face. And I like that idea, which makes me want something like that.

Plus, again, RAD...

Yeah, I rotate feather in. I feel like one of the common descriptions I've heard with dart was being able to feel the blade against your face. And I like that idea, which makes me want something like that.

Plus, again, RAD...
Ive never tried one myself but the Muhle R41 gets rated as one of the more aggressive razors out there and relatively inexpensive as well.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

The best razors and blades for you are dependent on you:
  • Beard type (course, medium fine)
  • Skin type (sensitive or not)
  • Face type (creases, folds, smooth)
  • Experience level (experienced, moderate, newbie)
Please help us help you by elaborating on these points. :)

The best razors and blades for you are dependent on you:
  • Beard type (course, medium fine)
  • Skin type (sensitive or not)
  • Face type (creases, folds, smooth)
  • Experience level (experienced, moderate, newbie)
Please help us help you by elaborating on these points. :)

Beard type is probably fine, maybe the fine side of medium.

Skin sensitivity, I could probably shave with a broken piece of glass and use bleach as aftershave and feel fine.

Face type, smooth.

Experience level, I would probably say moderate. I used to use straight razor like 10 years ago. And then I stopped shaving. Came back to shaving with a double edge about 9 months ago. So maybe to elaborate, just barely on to moderate from newbie.

One of the things I have found is that the more aggressive razors I've used have allowed me to minimize passes and get to the shape level I want. That's my desire for a razor that's a little more aggressive than my maggard v3a.

Thanks!

In terms of intermediate aggression (ie, more than you have now, but not most aggressive and still smooth)... I would suggest Mühle Rocca, Alpha Shaving Outlaw, Carbon Shaving + base plate and Rex Envoy).

For the most aggressive tier, Mühle R41, Carbon ++ base plates, Rex Ambassador would be some options.

Check out the Blackland Blackbird, Tatara Nodachi, ATT Windsor H plate, Yates with H plate, Muhle Rocca and EJ 3one6. These razors aren't super aggressive but they are really efficient and comfortable. And as others have mentioned the venerable Muhle R41 (they make a stainless version now).

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
May I please suggest an open comb Fatip? Whether the larger, hollow “Grande“ handle or the denser, more compact “Piccolo” handle, it has a lot going for it. Positive blade exposure, solid blade support, and a thin-enough cap make it very efficient.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Skin sensitivity, I could probably shave with a broken piece of glass and use bleach as aftershave and feel fine.

Face type, smooth.

Experience level, I would probably say moderate. I used to use straight razor like 10 years ago. And then I stopped shaving. Came back to shaving with a double edge about 9 months ago. So maybe to elaborate, just barely on to moderate from newbie.

One of the things I have found is that the more aggressive razors I've used have allowed me to minimize passes and get to the shape level I want. That's my desire for a razor that's a little more aggressive than my maggard v3a.

Thanks!
Thank you for a very thorough response. :)

Finally, what is your price range?

Thank you for a very thorough response. :)

Finally, what is your price range?

$50 or less within the week vs $100 +/- within the month. Possibly more, if some really convinces me lol, but anything on top of that is coming from my cigar/pipe tobacco budget 🤣😂.

I'm totally down to spend more if someone can tell me the return on investment is worth it. Frankly, I thought based off of reviews I had found the one when I started reading about the dart... I started frantically googling, ready to spend the money on one right away, only to be disappointed.

I have certainly thought about the r41. My only hesitation is that, so far, my experience with open combe has not been great. This could easily be what I was using as opposed to the concept of open combe. I don't know if this relates to the fact that the reason I'm looking for something aggressive is to minimize passes, because my hair is soft. Maybe with soft hair open comb doesn't matter as much 🤷 I dunno, like I said it could very well be just the ones I was using as I tried two (maggard and a no name).

Face type, smooth.

Thanks!
Mule Rocca or the R41
Razorock Lupo w dual head
Karve

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
$50 or less within the week vs $100 +/- within the month. Possibly more, if some really convinces me lol, but anything on top of that is coming from my cigar/pipe tobacco budget 🤣😂.

I'm totally down to spend more if someone can tell me the return on investment is worth it. Frankly, I thought based off of reviews I had found the one when I started reading about the dart... I started frantically googling, ready to spend the money on one right away, only to be disappointed.

I have certainly thought about the r41. My only hesitation is that, so far, my experience with open combe has not been great. This could easily be what I was using as opposed to the concept of open combe. I don't know if this relates to the fact that the reason I'm looking for something aggressive is to minimize passes, because my hair is soft. Maybe with soft hair open comb doesn't matter as much 🤷 I dunno, like I said it could very well be just the ones I was using as I tried two (maggard and a no name).

The Dart is an excellent razor which has, unfortunately, been discontinued. :(

Did a comparison of razors from USD$75 - USD$125:

My current recommendations, given your beard type, etc.:

Karve Brass - I am very smitten with the Karve Brass SB-G, but it has a lot of blade and may be too more than you want right now. The nice thing is that there are multiple plates with different levels of efficiency so you may want to start with an SB-C or SB-D and get the SB-G later. Tier 1.

Fatip Lo Storto Originale - Beautiful Italian, all Brass razor. You may have to periodically adjust the blade alignment but, for USD$40, you get top tier performance. Tier 1.

I will expand to include others, but have to run to an appointment. ;)

As always, YMMV. :cool:

Assured TTO from Dollar Tree. An all-metal one piece for $1 that is very aggressive, equal to a Slim on 10 if you could crank one up that far. It comes w 5 medium aggressive blades that are quite good. It also pairs well w Lord blades like the Plat or Rainbow. Here on B&B it’s low cost is viewed w disfavor, but it is quite good nonetheless and could be the aggressive shaver you seek. At $1 why not give it a try?
Another economical aggressive razor is the famous Yuma. At about $6 it is a low risk experiment. Very aggressive. I pair it w a Lab Blue and it is at the edge of the shaving envelope.
Of course my Slim cranked up to 9 w a Rainbow SS is a very aggressive shave that works very well for me. I found the Slim in an antique shop for $10, in perfect condition.
You don’t have to spend a lot of money to enjoy an aggressive razor.

Assured TTO from Dollar Tree. An all-metal one piece for $1 that is very aggressive, equal to a Slim on 10 if you could crank one up that far. It comes w 5 medium aggressive blades that are quite good. It also pairs well w Lord blades like the Plat or Rainbow. Here on B&B it’s low cost is viewed w disfavor, but it is quite good nonetheless and could be the aggressive shaver you seek. At $1 why not give it a try?
Another economical aggressive razor is the famous Yuma. At about $6 it is a low risk experiment. Very aggressive. I pair it w a Lab Blue and it is at the edge of the shaving envelope.
Of course my Slim cranked up to 9 w a Rainbow SS is a very aggressive shave that works very well for me. I found the Slim in an antique shop for $10, in perfect condition.
You don’t have to spend a lot of money to enjoy an aggressive razor.
Gillette slim? Just making sure lol 😂

The Dart is an excellent razor which has, unfortunately, been discontinued. :(

Did a comparison of razors from USD$75 - USD$125:

My current recommendations, given your beard type, etc.:

Karve Brass - I am very smitten with the Karve Brass SB-G, but it has a lot of blade and may be too more than you want right now. The nice thing is that there are multiple plates with different levels of efficiency so you may want to start with an SB-C or SB-D and get the SB-G later. Tier 1.

Fatip Lo Storto Originale - Beautiful Italian, all Brass razor. You may have to periodically adjust the blade alignment but, for USD$40, you get top tier performance. Tier 1.

I will expand to include others, but have to run to an appointment. ;)

As always, YMMV. :cool:
Ummmmmm.... I really like that krave.... Do you think if I went straight for the big guns and grabbed a g I would just be begging for trouble? I'm a pretty methodical shaver, and I rarely have issues with the de's, straights, and shavettes I own. I have never really focused that much on aesthetics with my razors, short of preferring one handle over another, but the brass krave is damn sexy....

Top Bottom