What's new

Looking for something more aggressive

Do you think if I went straight for the big guns and grabbed a g I would just be begging for trouble?
Based on your current setup, the Karve B would be roughly equivalent. It has neutral blade exposure and provides a nice comfortable shave. Incidentally, it is the plate that the razor was built around.

C is a nice step up, and my go-to for face shaving. I only have the E above that, and it is a pretty big leap. I prefer higher aggression for head shaving. Yes, I think G might be a bigger step, but that is not based on any personal experience with the G.

Not only is the Karve beautiful, it is smooth as butter.

Based on your current setup, the Karve B would be roughly equivalent. It has neutral blade exposure and provides a nice comfortable shave. Incidentally, it is the plate that the razor was built around.

C is a nice step up, and my go-to for face shaving. I only have the E above that, and it is a pretty big leap. I prefer higher aggression for head shaving. Yes, I think G might be a bigger step, but that is not based on any personal experience with the G.

Not only is the Karve beautiful, it is smooth as butter.
Oh geez! I had no idea that the aggressive maggard would only be equal to the b! That's crazy!

How does the E do? Maybe that would be a good enough big leap forward for me.

Oh geez! I had no idea that the aggressive maggard would only be equal to the b! That's crazy!

How does the E do? Maybe that would be a good enough big leap forward for me.
I foolishly gave an opinion on something I have no basis to have an opinion on. I have only read that the 37C is mild. I really know nothing about the Maggard razor at all. I assumed it is like a standard Muhle/EJ '89. I really have no idea how aggressive the Maggard is or what to compare it to.

I would describe the Karve E at about the Muhle R41 level, but more smooth than the Muhle. The good news is the plates sell and trade very well here on BST if you are not satisfied.

I foolishly gave an opinion on something I have no basis to have an opinion on. I have only read that the 37C is mild. I really know nothing about the Maggard razor at all. I assumed it is like a standard Muhle/EJ '89. I really have no idea how aggressive the Maggard is or what to compare it to.

I would describe the Karve E at about the Muhle R41 level, but more smooth than the Muhle. The good news is the plates sell and trade very well here on BST if you are not satisfied.
Okay cool! Maybe I'll grab an e or f then! I'm pretty happy that most of their plates come in an option of open comb or not. I haven't had the best experience with open comb, but it may be the fact that I haven't really had any good quality open comb razors yet.

FWIW, and YMM. Just my own opinion, but I too do not have good experience with open combs. Even though the Karve is a smooth comfortable shave, I experienced some after burn on my neck a few days ago after using the open comb C.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Ummmmmm.... I really like that krave.... Do you think if I went straight for the big guns and grabbed a g I would just be begging for trouble? I'm a pretty methodical shaver, and I rarely have issues with the de's, straights, and shavettes I own. I have never really focused that much on aesthetics with my razors, short of preferring one handle over another, but the brass krave is damn sexy....

The plates are readily available and not that expensive.

I have the SB-B, C, D, E, F, G and OC-B, C, F plates.

Normally I would steer you to the SB-C to start. If you like to "walk on the wild side", go with the SB-D plate and and pick up the SB-G plate when it's back in stock. :)

On my face, the SB-G plate is highly efficient and still smooth. Give it respect and it is not aggressive at all. The SB-D plate is like the G's "little brother". I prefer the D to the E.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

Gillette slim? Just making sure lol 😂

You crank a Gillette Slim to 9 with a Feather blade... They are not slouches.

I have two Gillette Slims and they are 58 years old each (1963 I-3 code). They are great razors, can be found at reasonable prices and if you want to dial it back for a mild shave or up for an aggressive shave its up to you. 🙂

As @Quaznoid pointed out you don't have to spend a lot to get an aggressive shaver :straight:

1811E213-7398-469E-8274-83EA7752B3F4.jpeg

256C6B35-19EA-4329-8170-8B4FD378E6F0.jpeg

Last edited:
I can verify this about the Slim. I was wondering if mine was adjusting correctly (never had one before). I put a new Feather blade in and set it at 6 for first pass. Left some stubble on my neck (right side grows from Adam’s apple to far side-horizontal). Dialed it up to 8 for the next pass. Hello, weepers! Third pass dialed down to 2. BBS with a bit of feedback from the alum block.

Aggressive doesn’t mean lots of $$$

(To reiterate what’s already been said)

I can verify this about the Slim. I was wondering if mine was adjusting correctly (never had one before). I put a new Feather blade in and set it at 6 for first pass. Left some stubble on my neck (right side grows from Adam’s apple to far side-horizontal). Dialed it up to 8 for the next pass. Hello, weepers! Third pass dialed down to 2. BBS with a bit of feedback from the alum block.

Aggressive doesn’t mean lots of $$$

(To reiterate what’s already been said)

Just have to remember to open the TTO between each dial adjustment, then close after setting the dial adjustment. Also ensure that the 1/4 quarter last turn is functional. A good cleaning and lube with mineral oil will keep them working :cool:

Zaza Platinums are the worst blade I've ever used hands down........Nothing could save them or even make the shave improve!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

In terms of intermediate aggression (ie, more than you have now, but not most aggressive and still smooth)... I would suggest Mühle Rocca, Alpha Shaving Outlaw, Carbon Shaving + base plate and Rex Envoy).

For the most aggressive tier, Mühle R41, Carbon ++ base plates, Rex Ambassador would be some options.
I have a Muhle Rocca-96 and I have a Blackland Dart.......the Dart is more aggressive and dangerous with a Feather!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you would be better served just going for the SB-G.
I hope I am not derailing this thread, but I think it would be helpful to the original poster in his search for a more efficient razor. I have had the good fortune this week to use a Yates 921 on loan. The Yates has been a wonderful experience in the realm of smoothness, comfort, and efficiency. My experience is very similar to yours in your legendary "Comparison of Razors in my Den $75-$125" post. Yates 921M=very comfortable mild-medium daily shave; 921H increases the efficiency but sacrifices none of the comfort. The 921EH plate to me adds blade gap and feel, maintains the comfort, but I find no gain in efficiency over the H.

I am finding the Yates to be even more comfortable than the Karve. The 921H is about the same efficiency level as Karve E, but to me the Yates H feels as comfortable, safe, and effortless as a Henson.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I hope I am not derailing this thread, but I think it would be helpful to the original poster in his search for a more efficient razor. I have had the good fortune this week to use a Yates 921 on loan. The Yates has been a wonderful experience in the realm of smoothness, comfort, and efficiency. My experience is very similar to yours in your legendary "Comparison of Razors in my Den $75-$125" post. Yates 921M=very comfortable mild-medium daily shave; 921H increases the efficiency but sacrifices none of the comfort. The 921EH plate to me adds blade gap and feel, maintains the comfort, but I find no gain in efficiency over the H.

I am finding the Yates to be even more comfortable than the Karve. The 921H is about the same efficiency level as Karve E, but to me the Yates H feels as comfortable, safe, and effortless as a Henson.

Thank you very much for your kind feedback re: my comparison of mid-priced razors. :)

I have an EH plate on the way and will add my impressions to the thread after I shave with it.

Both the Karve and the Yates are very good razors. My personal preference is for the Karve - I like the feel of Brass on my face. :cool:

Great suggestions in this thread!

I would go for a FaTip (if you must order this week) or one of the SS options suggested above (if you can hold off for a bit longer).

Just a wealth of great suggestions. I would like to add what I have experienced which might help you.

R41: You can buy just the head (cap & plate) from Maggards for $25 and add your own handle. I did this and enjoyed it so much that I ordered the stainless. I found it not only smooth, but one of if not the most efficient razors I have used.

Yates: I bought the bead blasted H plate with the thin long handle and love it. It is very smooth and efficient. For fun I then ordered the EH plate. This increased efficiency by a good amount, but stayed pretty smooth. It will bite if you get careless as most highly efficient razors will. I would put this along side the R41 for efficiency and smoothness.

Karve: This was the second razor I bought and learned a ton from it. Started with the B&C/ SB plates. I have moved to B-G on the SB and B-F on the OC plates. I could be very happy with the D plates in both SB & OC, but the G/SB & F/OC are great fun and will stay with the R41 & Yates EH.

I just wanted to add that the Karve OC plates are very smooth and really opened up the world of open comb razors to me. I always thought they looked a little scary, but now I love them.

Top Bottom