What's new

Looking for something more aggressive than my Merkur Model 180

I stopped using expensive cartridge blades about a year ago and the Merkur 180 was my first DE razor. I knew it wasn't the most aggressive thing when I got it, but I was nervous about cutting up my face. I do have to go over my face three times when I shave and it does a decent job. I used a butterfly type of razor they sell at Sally Beauty supply which seems to be much more aggressive than the 180. If I skip a day, I only have to go over my face once with it. Thing is, I realize that it's a piece of junk. I wouldn't mind moving up to something that is a little more aggressive than the 180 but I don't know where to start. Since these things are expensive, I'd like to see if I can get some advice instead of trial and error. I would like to stay away from the butterfly types if possible. Here is the Sally Beauty Supply one I used. I think it was $10:
http://www.sallybeauty.com/safety-razor/SBS-676100,default,pd.html

RazoRock SLAB ..nice middle of the road aggression wise, well built razor. I think it was $40 and it has a stainless steel handle. the handle alone is worth the $40 I paid for the razor.

Scoobyjax, what blade(s) are you using? Maybe just a change in blade will give you what you are looking for.

Hello and welcome to B&B! The suggestion above could work for you, and in case you don't know what shimming is, you pick 1 or 2 used blades, you cut the sharp edges and place them under the new blade you're using.

Hello and welcome to B&B! The suggestion above could work for you, and in case you don't know what shimming is, you pick 1 or 2 used blades, you cut the sharp edges and place them under the new blade you're using.

What effect does this have? Changes the angle of the blade?

No, from my understanding it desn't change the angle,,,
but increases the gap between the blade edge and the base-plate.
Essentially, putting the edge 'closer to the action' so to speak.

I like Astras and think they are pretty sharp. You might give a Feather a shot, if you haven't already. Just a thought...

Try a Feather because they are very sharp compared to Astra. For best value and sharpness get Personna Labs or spend a little more and get Polsilver Super Iridiums.

Well, I tried 1 shim yesterday.....no difference. I tried 2 this morning....couldn't notice. I guess I'll try 3 tomorrow. I'm thinking I may just need a new razor. There's got to be an easier way than just buying a few and finding out which I like the best....although, if I buy them online, I guess I could get 3 or 4, try them out, find the one I like and return the rest?

... There's got to be an easier way than just buying a few and finding out which I like the best....although, if I buy them online, I guess I could get 3 or 4, try them out, find the one I like and return the rest?
I'm not sure whether that is doable, and I guess it depends on the vendor's return policies. However, at least to me, it seems a little unfair to stick a merchant with a few used razors when none of them is defective. Maybe that's just me being anal retentive or something. Anyway, you can always sell whatever you buy and don't like here on the Buy/Sell/Trade page for probably pretty close to what you spent.

I'm not sure whether that is doable, and I guess it depends on the vendor's return policies. However, at least to me, it seems a little unfair to stick a merchant with a few used razors when none of them is defective. Maybe that's just me being anal retentive or something. Anyway, you can always sell whatever you buy and don't like here on the Buy/Sell/Trade page for probably pretty close to what you spent.

True, I can do that. I'm just not sure which ones to try. Are there any brick and mortar stores that sell these razors?

True, I can do that. I'm just not sure which ones to try. Are there any brick and mortar stores that sell these razors?
I would first try using a Feather blade. Then, if you still want/need to try different razors, yes there are b&m stores, but whether there are any readily available to you depends on where you are based. Where are you located? Art of Shaving stores abound in malls and cities, but their prices, especially on hardware, are astonishingly high.

When it comes to what to try next, you will get a ton of YMMV responses, depending on each poster's experience and personal preference. E.g., I have become partial to open comb razors, which are reputed to be more aggressive than their safety bar counterparts. There are a number of OC razors that can be purchased quite reasonably. E.g. some of the Cadet razors like the TP-44 can be bought at places like shaveabuck.com with either a safety bar or open comb head for around $20. IIRC Italian Barber is/was selling the RazoRock Jaws for about $15. My current personal favorites are vintage Gillette New Long Combs, which can be had on B/S/T or ebay or etsy quite reasonably if you don't require them to be cosmetically perfect. Others have been suggested above, and I'm sure you will get tons of other suggestions.

Well, I tried 1 shim yesterday.....no difference. I tried 2 this morning....couldn't notice. I guess I'll try 3 tomorrow. I'm thinking I may just need a new razor.

So you opened the gap to make the razor more aggressive and didn't notice any difference. Issue probably isn't the razor.

Mühle R41 will surely reduce your passes. It is considered to be the most aggressive razor and as close to a straight as you could get in DE world.

The 2013 version sold everywhere is not as dangerous as the 2011 version. It might be the razor you are looking for.

Mühle R41 will surely reduce your passes. It is considered to be the most aggressive razor and as close to a straight as you could get in DE world...
That's for sure. However, based on the information in the OP, I think that would be more of a leap than he is ready for at this point. JMO.

Top Bottom