What's new

Looking for something Like Proraso Red

How we doing folks?

I'm About a year in to the DE shave game(Merkur 34c with Bic or Feathers) and Im looking to branch out from my trusty Proraso red. Ive got some hardcore hairs so the "barba dure" has always been great for me. I do use their preshave as well. I've not had great results with other soaps though.

First one I tried was Prorasso White and it never really felt quite right. I tried the Red due to a recommendation from a friend and its been my go to, Ive never have issue with it perfect shave every time. Claddagh and Trinity by Murphy and Mcneil were great other than it really burning my skin. Cella Almond smells great but doesn't give the best shave I find it a little light for my hair. RAD Smooth which is a local place was one of the best scents of plumeria but the lather was almost nonexsistant, worse than the Cella so only good for touchups when I happen to grow a beard.

So in reality Im fine with my Red its a trusty soap, but I want to branch out to different scents and Im having a hard time finding something that both smells good and preforms as well as the Red without burning me up like the M&M. Hoping the elders here have some suggestions for me :)

Hope yall have a great one today

You might want to try The Body Shop Macca Root shaving cream. It does not smell like Proraso Red but I find it provides a similar type of lather. I can't see anyone having an allergic reaction to it but no guarantees on that.

How we doing folks?

I'm About a year in to the DE shave game(Merkur 34c with Bic or Feathers) and Im looking to branch out from my trusty Proraso red. Ive got some hardcore hairs so the "barba dure" has always been great for me. I do use their preshave as well. I've not had great results with other soaps though.

First one I tried was Prorasso White and it never really felt quite right. I tried the Red due to a recommendation from a friend and its been my go to, Ive never have issue with it perfect shave every time. Claddagh and Trinity by Murphy and Mcneil were great other than it really burning my skin. Cella Almond smells great but doesn't give the best shave I find it a little light for my hair. RAD Smooth which is a local place was one of the best scents of plumeria but the lather was almost nonexsistant, worse than the Cella so only good for touchups when I happen to grow a beard.

So in reality Im fine with my Red its a trusty soap, but I want to branch out to different scents and Im having a hard time finding something that both smells good and preforms as well as the Red without burning me up like the M&M. Hoping the elders here have some suggestions for me :)

How we doing folks?

First Welcome to B&B. See that you joined today and this is your first post. Let us know more about your equipment (brush, razor, blades) and preferences and we can provide more focused advice.

Some initial thoughts:
  • Try your Cella again using more soap. My most similar soap (really these are softer croaps) is Tcheon Fung Sing red bowl and I found that my brush just didn't directly load enough product. I had to scoop out a good almond size amount (with an expresso spoon) and then build lather in a separate container. Very different from my Proraso Red that easily loads from its container onto my 26mm plissoft brush.
  • If you want to stick with softer soaps Italian Barber has a number of softer Italian croaps that you can try. Just pick the scents that most appeal to you.
  • Let us know if you want to try harder soap pucks or creams. Connaught Shaving in the U.K. offers some excellent Cyril R. Salter Creams that I've found to work very well. I have both the Wild Rose and Vetiver scents and find them enjoyable. Check out other B&Ber reviews on the other scents like Sandlewood.
  • If you order from Italian Barber try some of their What The Puck hard soaps. Low priced yet perform at a premium level with pleasant scents. I've used the Black fougere and Blue barbershop scents. Their Razorrock brushes are also a great value. I use their Monster, Big Bruce and Blondie brushes all for under $10 on sale. The first two use a 26mm synthetic plissoft know and the latter a 26mm bleached boar knot (the brush is a renamed Zenith 80N that is well regarded). They have lots of different sized/types at similar pricing per your preferences.
  • If you order from Connaught consider throwing in some classics like Mitchell's Wool Fat and Tabac. You can just get the refill pucks and use your own container. Best price you will find on these soaps anywhere. If your budget allows for an order of 60 GBP/roughly $72 U.S. shipping is free.
I'm sure you will get plenty of other recommendations from other fellow B&Bers. Ultimately YMMV (your mileage may vary) and what matters is what works best for you. Enjoy your wet shaving journey and lets us know what you decide to do.

I recommend Mike's Natural soaps and Stirling soaps. With Stirling order the sample sizes in different scents to find what you like.

I second the Stirling Soaps recommendation. Their sample soaps are super affordable and excellent and they have a wide variety of scents. I use Proraso Green so I'm afraid I can't give you a recommendation for the Red scent.

I'd suggest trying out Saponificio Bignoli. It's another Italian soft soap and comes in various scents (including a Sandalwood that I prefer in both scent and performance to Proraso Red)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you like Sandal woods I suggest Taylor of old bond street Sandal wood cream, it has a herbal scent with the sandal wood and it is a must more for any shave den + very popular for any person who shave.
Another Sandal wood that is slightly less herbal but top notch is Cyril R Salter Indian sandalwood that is also one of my favorites.
The Proraso Red aftershave will also work with these creams and you get your moneys worth with almost 6 OZ of cream.
SOTD March 11 2023 .jpg
SOTD Feburary 13 2023 .jpg
SOTD Feburary 5 2023 .jpg

Have some great shaves!

I am a Proraso Red man as well. I rotate between that and TOBS sandalwood. TOBS may be slicker, I love the smell of both. Geo F Trumper's sandalwood is slick but very different smell. For me when it comes to feel on the face , its hard to bead Proraso or TOBS

Top Bottom