What's new

looking for some info on whetstones

so i have shun hiro sg2 8 inch chef's knife and i was trying to sharpening the things but i dont think my current whetstone will work for, its a king kds 1000/6000 combo stone, the rockwell rating for this knife is 64 and the rating for the stone only goes up to 62 for the knives it can sharpen. i tried sharpening my shun on it but i couldnt get a burr to develop on either side of the blade. what stones should i get to sharpen this thing? any thoughts would be greatly apreciated. thanks!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
so i have shun hiro sg2 8 inch chef's knife and i was trying to sharpening the things but i dont think my current whetstone will work for, its a king kds 1000/6000 combo stone, the rockwell rating for this knife is 64 and the rating for the stone only goes up to 62 for the knives it can sharpen. i tried sharpening my shun on it but i couldnt get a burr to develop on either side of the blade. what stones should i get to sharpen this thing? any thoughts would be greatly apreciated. thanks!
I would not think a 1000 would provide a noticeable burr. I hope a knife geek will weigh in, but your stones may be working. If you ping someone like Chefs Knives to Go they may be able to help, perhaps sticking a lower grit stone in first (if you truly want a burr) and then going to 1000 and finishing with 6000. More likely they will steer you to higher grits like 8000.

Last edited:
DB091890-72FE-432F-A87F-1A895260CB71.jpeg

Naniwa Aotoshi, here with my circa late ‘70-early ‘80s Henckels 8” Chef’s knife.
About 2k grit. Excellent for all my kitchen cutlery. Pocket and sporting knives also.

The King KDS 1000/6000 should work fine for sharpening your Shun. Check out the Burrfection YouTube channel, he sharpens a lot of high rockwell chefs knives and highly recommends the King KDS combo.

That being said, it sounds like you either have a technique problem or an understanding/expectation problem, not a stone problem. Ryky’s channel or some other sharpening videos may be able to help you sort things out.

Shapton glass stone hr is developed for harder steel. The stone you have should work, but you may have to spend some more time to get there.

The King KDS 1000/6000 should work fine for sharpening your Shun. Check out the Burrfection YouTube channel, he sharpens a lot of high rockwell chefs knives and highly recommends the King KDS combo.

That being said, it sounds like you either have a technique problem or an understanding/expectation problem, not a stone problem. Ryky’s channel or some other sharpening videos may be able to help you sort things out.
definatly a technique problem, im still learning. are there any blades that you could recommend that i could practice on? thanks again

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
definatly a technique problem, im still learning. are there any blades that you could recommend that i could practice on? thanks again

Pick up some Dexters to practice on. Softer steel but you can refine your technique and they are still great kitchen cutlery. I've found them at Goodwill for a buck or two.

That King 1K/6K is a good one.

Top Bottom