What's new

Looking for some help

Can anybody eventually help me with the identification of that double edge safety razor?
Your answer will be highly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Nikolay

Attachments

• gillete 1950 1.jpg
    gillete 1950 1.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 15
  • gillete 1950 2.jpg
    gillete 1950 2.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 16
  • gillete 1950.jpg
    gillete 1950.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 14

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
A Gillette Super Speed (Flair Tip). If you turn the razor upside down and look at the bottom of the head, you should see a letter on the upper left side, and a number on the upper right side. Using a date code chart (or letting us know what it is) you can determine the year and quarter it was produced. Congrats, they are good razors!

Thank you both for the quick response.
Well, I don't own that razor; actually, I just saw it on the web.
I found some additional pictures of it, now I'll upload them.
Concerning the price of the razor - it's about 34 USD; so, let me ask you something else:
1. Could you consider that razor as an "aggressive" one (for instance, comparing it with the R 41 head, I'm talking about the "2013" model)?
2. Is the price reasonable?

Thanks in advance!

Nikolay

Attachments

• 708b8fc3bd5a6313697dddfe932e0932.jpg
    708b8fc3bd5a6313697dddfe932e0932.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 805d62fed405a439d8d8c3949a02fc71.jpg
    805d62fed405a439d8d8c3949a02fc71.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 8
It's about what I paid for mine in near mint condition with no box.

I think its considered to be a mild to moderately aggressive shave from what I found out.

Someone more experienced than me might be able to say more as I'm quite new to de shaving.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Thank you both for the quick response.
Well, I don't own that razor; actually, I just saw it on the web.
I found some additional pictures of it, now I'll upload them.
Concerning the price of the razor - it's about 34 USD; so, let me ask you something else:
1. Could you consider that razor as an "aggressive" one (for instance, comparing it with the R 41 head, I'm talking about the "2013" model)?
2. Is the price reasonable?

Thanks in advance!

Nikolay
I see the number 3 on the base plate so that's the 3rd quarter (July, August, September), but I can't make out the letter which would give you the year. My Super Speeds are moderately aggressive....no where near the R41 (to me at least). They are perfectly fine shavers, but not particularly "special" to me.

As to price, I can't help you there....reasonableness is in the eye of the purchaser. My advice would be to use the B&B search and checkout the BST for previous sales to see what they went for, or look at "sold" listings on a certain auction site.

Thank you for the quick response.
Nowadays I'm also looking for the R41 "2011" head, because I'm currently using the 2013 model in combination with a Merkur 41C's handle - it works pretty well for me.
Sadly, I can't find the "2011" head anywhere; but obviously, it should be much more aggressive than the 2013 model:

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 5
I don’t think you would like a super speed if you’re looking for something like a r41. The super speed does not have much, if any blade feel.

R

romsitsa

Hello, all Gillette TTOs are way milder than an R41, except maybe for the early British ones. The 2011 is simply a bad construction, so if you can find a narrower cap for your 2013 the result would be the same.

Adam

A Gillette Super Speed (Flair Tip). If you turn the razor upside down and look at the bottom of the head, you should see a letter on the upper left side, and a number on the upper right side. Using a date code chart (or letting us know what it is) you can determine the year and quarter it was produced. Congrats, they are good razors!

+1! Very nice shavers IME!! Congrats! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Top Bottom