What's new

Looking for some good lightly scented aftershaves

Normally I wear Polo by Ralph Lauren as my cologne, and a deodorant. I'm pretty satisfied with that setup, and feel at a loss when it comes to figuring out what scents go together well or even complement each other, and which make those around me want to run for the hills. So due to this, I'm interested in finding an aftershave that is either unscented, has a very light scent, or has a scent that quickly dissipates. Or if anyone on here is knowledge about the matter, one that matches well with the Polo.

I just started wetshaving, and never really used aftershave in the past (when I was younger I thought it burned far too much and disliked it), so I don't have much knowledge or experience with its various types. I will add though, that I got some Clubman Pinaud recently and like both its scent and the burning sensation it provides, so I'm not averse to alcohol based products. The only problem is that I feel the Clubman Pinaud's scent is too long lasting and powerful, because I can still smell it on my hands hours afterward.

Thanks in advance, guys!

4711 (citrus-y, disappears in 5 seconds)

AV Ice Blue Sport (similar to Cool Water, inoffensive and wears off quick)

Florida Water (almost no scent to my nose)

Lucky Tiger (citrus-y and goes away in minutes flat)

Can't go wrong with any of those 4!

I feel like a broken record pitching Stetson Cooling Moisture again (have done so in several threads the last few days), but it does sound like a good choice for you. It's got bit of Menthol in it, which is nice. It's a low alcohol formulation, so not much burn, however. The scent fades pretty quickly. The only place that seems to have it is Wal-mart, and it's around 6 bucks for the 3.4 oz glass jar. It seems very skin friendly and is great at patching up a rough shave if you have one.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/203763-Stetson-Cooling-Moisture-Aftershave

When it rains, it pours, am I right? Your persistence has led to put it on my list for the next time I'm at Walmart.

I feel like a broken record pitching Stetson Cooling Moisture again (have done so in several threads the last few days), but it does sound like a good choice for you. It's got bit of Menthol in it, which is nice. It's a low alcohol formulation, so not much burn, however. The scent fades pretty quickly. The only place that seems to have it is Wal-mart, and it's around 6 bucks for the 3.4 oz glass jar.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/203763-Stetson-Cooling-Moisture-Aftershave

poraso

speick

golddachs tonic

everything from DR Harris. Start with PINK

This.
Also, I recommend RazoRock King Louis AS. It has a very light scent and it works like magic.
It would work well with any EDT. The light scent dissipates almost immediately. I consider this a slight negative, but it sounds like just what you are looking for.

Last edited:
When it rains, it pours, am I right? Your persistence has led to put it on my list for the next time I'm at Walmart.

Ed- let me know if you find it at your local walmart. I have not seen it at mine and we are not far apart. Also I am sending you a PM so as to no hijack this thread.

nrv216

Wow, thanks for the quick responses everyone! However, I now have a few follow up questions. I did a quick search on Busco Real (having heard good things about it before too) and found both an AS and ASB version, which are hidden in the quote below. Which product is better? I'm somewhat confused about the difference between AS and ASB in general. Is the former just more soothing, or does it moisturize? I'm still taking a look at a few of the others, though it's a pretty time consuming process. Some of them are listed on sites as discontinued, out of stock, etc. Are there any good sites for shopping for this sort of thing?

Nivea Sensitive asb (cheap), Eucerin asb (not so cheap), Clinique Skin supplies for men Post shave healer (opposite of cheap). All are very good.

I'm not a fan of balms. To me, they're a bit more sticky and some of them (Nivea comes to mind) leave traces of the balm as well. Balms tend to be thicker, and are supposed to help with razor burn and so forth. It's all preference, but I prefer a splash anyday.

Also, I also picked up a bottle of the Stetson from Wal-Mart. Dirt cheap, made of glass which always rules, and smells pretty good, like a less offensive Brut. I'm more of an Old Spice AS guy, but it's definitely in the rotation now.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
You could get unscented Witch Hazel. Thayers makes a very good unscented WH. If you get the Dickinson's WH, well, that one smells like vodka but the scent is gone quickly.

I'll second Lucky Tiger, which is VERY good for the skin (I use it when I shave my face and head, and it works well for both). The light orangey scent is gone in one minute, but it's very light even when just applied.

Normally I wear Polo by Ralph Lauren as my cologne, and a deodorant. I'm pretty satisfied with that setup, and feel at a loss when it comes to figuring out what scents go together well or even complement each other
A good start would be to identify the scents in Polo and then find a suitable complement. If you're not good at doing this yourself there are resources out there on the internet. I'm not familiar with it myself.

Which product is better? I'm somewhat confused about the difference between AS and ASB in general.
Don't overlook the Wiki:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Aftershaves
Aftershaves come in various forms, the two most common being balms and splashes/lotions, balms for moisturizing the skin and lotions as astringents. Which types of aftershaves you should use varies from person to person and is to a large degree dependent on skin type.

Which is better is subjective (as better is with any topic) but what you need to make your decision is quoted above.

Normally I wear Polo by Ralph Lauren as my cologne, and a deodorant. I'm pretty satisfied with that setup, and feel at a loss when it comes to figuring out what scents go together well or even complement each other, and which make those around me want to run for the hills. So due to this, I'm interested in finding an aftershave that is either unscented, has a very light scent, or has a scent that quickly dissipates. Or if anyone on here is knowledge about the matter, one that matches well with the Polo.

I just started wetshaving, and never really used aftershave in the past (when I was younger I thought it burned far too much and disliked it), so I don't have much knowledge or experience with its various types. I will add though, that I got some Clubman Pinaud recently and like both its scent and the burning sensation it provides, so I'm not averse to alcohol based products. The only problem is that I feel the Clubman Pinaud's scent is too long lasting and powerful, because I can still smell it on my hands hours afterward.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Its not a true aftershave,but I have always loved Monsieur Balmain( a light citrus/lemon scent) during the summer months. I have the 'Eau du toilette' which is not at all overpowering.However,the scent doesn't last too long(typical of citrus scents). Another very good citrus one is the wonderful Italian aftershave/cologne "Acqua Classica di Borsia".

Craig

Top Bottom