What's new

Looking for some good, cheap hair products.

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on the forum, but I've browsed through the site for a couple months looking at old threads and such and I was wondering if any of you knew of some well-made, inexpensive, and good-smelling hair products?

I've been using Brylcreem for over a year now and that's probably my favorite, scent-wise and it has a decent hold if you use enough. I also have Groom N' Clean, Tres Flores Brilliantine (the goop in the little jar, not the tonic), and some of the newer gels and glues like Johnny B. and Gorilla Snot gel. I'm trying to move away from the newer, weird-smelling gels to the more traditional, classy, and manly hair products, like pomades, hair tonics, creams, etc. I was thinking about some hair tonic to tame my hair frizz but all I found at the store was Vitalis, which I didn't really like. And I've heard a lot of good things about Clubman's and Jeris' hair tonics but I don't know if they'll help with hair frizz.

I'm of Mexican heritage so my hair is thick and wavy and frizzy if that helps any, so go ahead and share some of your favorite inexpensive hair products and let me know why you like them! :thumbup:

You've come to the right place, sir! Welcome to the forum and welcome to part of the forum where hair is for styling, not for shaving.

Water-Based:
I always recommend Layrite products for a great entry-level pomade. It washes out easily and leaves your hair feeling good after you wash it. I think I got it for $9/tub straight from Layrite's website. Good stuff. Might not be that cheap anymore, the last time I bought it was about 2 years ago. Another choice a lot of people go with is Suavecito but for me it acts more like a gel and hardens up too much. I like to be able to re-style my hair throughout the day without having to go to the bathroom to wet my comb.

Petroleum-Based:
I love my Murray's Superlight as well. I get mine at Walmart for $2.75. It's oil-based so it'll stay in your hair unless you really wash it. Definitely enough hold to tame the frizz and maintain your style all day. There's also DAX products that I've found are unbeatable, just not as cheap as Murray's if you can't find it locally. www.daxhaircare.com is where you can order it directly from them. I recommend their High Life line of products.

Hair Tonics:
If you're more into lighter products like hair tonic, a good one to consider is Lucky Tiger Three-Purpose Hair Tonic. It's got a slight slickness to it so it will probably do well at taming the frizzy hairs. You can find samples at certain sites to try different brands out - (www.shoeboxshaveshop.com). And I regularly use Pinaud Clubman Greaseless Hair Tonic which might not have the right qualities for your hair style but it smells really good and feels good on the scalp.

Good luck, sir!

Last edited:
Thank for the tips Adam. Will definitely be checking out some of those!

Has anyone tried any of these products? And have anything to say about them?

- Wildroot Hair Groom
- Royal Crown Hair Dressing
- Clubman Styling Gel (green) or any of the other ones (the yellow and clear gel)
- Dax Wave and Groom Hair Dress
- Jeris Hair Tonic (which one is better w/ or w/o oil?)
- Clubman Eau de Portugal and Eau de Quinine

Steven - Good questions and you might get several types of answers. I've used some of these products that you've asked about:

Wildroot is a thick white tonic that looks almost like lotion when it pours out. It has very good pliable hold and a distinctive scent that fades somewhat. You may or may not like the scent. It does well on thick dark hair such as you've described yours and it washes out without much trouble. It definitely would help curb any "frizz."

The two Clubman tonics you've mentioned have distinctive scents that may or may not appeal to you. For me, neither of them had a significant hold, though.

Jeris tonics are sort of old-fashioned barbershop tonics in nature. The one without oil has only a scent and very little hold. It reminds me a little bit like Vitalis which also have very little hold. A lot of guys say they like the Jeris scent, though. The one with oil has much better hold but it depends on how much you use. It will definitely tame the frizz, too.

Both Groom and Clean and Tres Flores will also help with the frizz issue if you use enough. VO5 is similar to Brylcreem in what it can do, too. A lot of this is very particular to individuals as hair is seldom ever "exactly" like someone else's. Another thing a lot of barbers seem to be encouraging these days, also, is to wash hair less frequently as that can often cause the "frizz' you have mentioned. Daily hair washing is necessary for guys who work in jobs where they get dirty each day but a lot of other guys (like me) are down to a couple times a week. It help a lot with control. Good luck!

Thanks GeorgeTurner, I do wash my hair every day, usually to get the Brylcreem and G&C out. By washing you do mean using shampoo and conditioner in your hair right? Just rinsing it in the shower doesn't count as washing?

Thank for the tips Adam. Will definitely be checking out some of those!

Has anyone tried any of these products? And have anything to say about them?

- Wildroot Hair Groom
- Royal Crown Hair Dressing
- Clubman Styling Gel (green) or any of the other ones (the yellow and clear gel)
- Dax Wave and Groom Hair Dress
- Jeris Hair Tonic (which one is better w/ or w/o oil?)
- Clubman Eau de Portugal and Eau de Quinine

Royal Crown is good but I found that if I didn't wash it all out thoroughly every day, it was nasty. Light/Med hold and good shine though. It's a pale white color with a subtle and traditional scent.

DAX Wave and Groom is similar to Murray's Superlight. A little firmer than Royal Crown with a bit of a warier consistency. Very traditional sweet smell.

Clubman Eau de Portugal is one of my favorites for warm weather. Very citrusy and refreshing. No hold, but good for freshening up a bit.

I have the clubman blue green gel, pretty good stuff no flackyness late in the day and a medium hold
Also have the portugal I like the orange smell but doesn't really do anything hold wise

You've come to the right place, sir! Welcome to the forum and welcome to part of the forum where hair is for styling, not for shaving.

Water-Based:
I always recommend Layrite products for a great entry-level pomade. It washes out easily and leaves your hair feeling good after you wash it. I think I got it for $9/tub straight from Layrite's website. Good stuff. Might not be that cheap anymore, the last time I bought it was about 2 years ago. Another choice a lot of people go with is Suavecito but for me it acts more like a gel and hardens up too much. I like to be able to re-style my hair throughout the day without having to go to the bathroom to wet my comb.

Petroleum-Based:
I love my Murray's Superlight as well. I get mine at Walmart for $2.75. It's oil-based so it'll stay in your hair unless you really wash it. Definitely enough hold to tame the frizz and maintain your style all day. There's also DAX products that I've found are unbeatable, just not as cheap as Murray's if you can't find it locally. www.daxhaircare.com is where you can order it directly from them. I recommend their High Life line of products.

Hair Tonics:
If you're more into lighter products like hair tonic, a good one to consider is Lucky Tiger Three-Purpose Hair Tonic. It's got a slight slickness to it so it will probably do well at taming the frizzy hairs. You can find samples at certain sites to try different brands out - (www.shoeboxshaveshop.com). And I regularly use Pinaud Clubman Greaseless Hair Tonic which might not have the right qualities for your hair style but it smells really good and feels good on the scalp.

Good luck, sir!
+1
Steven - Good questions and you might get several types of answers. I've used some of these products that you've asked about:

Wildroot is a thick white tonic that looks almost like lotion when it pours out. It has very good pliable hold and a distinctive scent that fades somewhat. You may or may not like the scent. It does well on thick dark hair such as you've described yours and it washes out without much trouble. It definitely would help curb any "frizz."

The two Clubman tonics you've mentioned have distinctive scents that may or may not appeal to you. For me, neither of them had a significant hold, though.

Jeris tonics are sort of old-fashioned barbershop tonics in nature. The one without oil has only a scent and very little hold. It reminds me a little bit like Vitalis which also have very little hold. A lot of guys say they like the Jeris scent, though. The one with oil has much better hold but it depends on how much you use. It will definitely tame the frizz, too.

Both Groom and Clean and Tres Flores will also help with the frizz issue if you use enough. VO5 is similar to Brylcreem in what it can do, too. A lot of this is very particular to individuals as hair is seldom ever "exactly" like someone else's. Another thing a lot of barbers seem to be encouraging these days, also, is to wash hair less frequently as that can often cause the "frizz' you have mentioned. Daily hair washing is necessary for guys who work in jobs where they get dirty each day but a lot of other guys (like me) are down to a couple times a week. It help a lot with control. Good luck!

Tarrant - How's the smell? Is it your traditional Pinaud Clubman aftershave scent, like the shamoo, or something different?

I prefer water-based pomades, and will echo Layrite pomade, though I've only had experience with the Original. Another favourite of mine of equal calibre is Crown Shaving Co. Hippie Killer, though a bit more expensive. Both medium holds with medium to high shines. Wash out very easily and hold great all day long. Fantastic scents for both as well.

I also have some Suavecito on the way, which has been highly praised here, that I'm very excited to receive. I purchased their pomade bundle (Original and Firme) for under $24USD on their website, which is cheaper than some single tubs out there.

Very helpful crew of gentlemen in this forum. I've taken the advice from many of them, and I haven't been led astray. Good luck to you, sir!

Last edited:
Groom and Clean works great for my Flat Top.

I'm actually starting to like Groom and Clean. I like the hold and properties of it but I always thought the smell was a bit offensive. But to my surprise, when I put it on yesterday, I actually kind of liked it. Guess some stuff just grows on you over time :001_rolle

Anybody else want to share their favorite hair products? They don't have to necessarily be what I'm looking for, just want to hear about some good hair products and what you like about them.

Top Bottom