What's new

Looking for SE recommendations.

Have decided to try a single edge razor. Does anyone have any suggestions? Blackland Vector and OneBlade Genesis look interesting.

Both are great options and yet are totally different razors. Vector is a fan favourite with pronounced blade feel and almost perfect aesthetics.
Oneblade is a bit more controversial, mostly because of its pivoting head and expensive FHS blades, although with some effort regular GEM blades can be used.
Also, Oneblade provides effortless and almost too-easy shaves while Vector feels like a more traditional SE or DE razor. Note that I'm referring to Oneblade Genesis or Hybrid, the Core is a bit different and doesn't shave as close as the Genesis imo.

Other options to consider are ATT SE1 and Colonial General for AC blades as well some vintage GEM razors which are easily (and cheaply) obtainable and use GEM blades.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would try a vintage SE first to see how you go. I bought a few Schick Injectors and a couple of Gems. I just couldn’t get the angle right. I kept defaulting to the DE angle and finished up just scraping my face. Worst razor burn ever. My fault though, not the razors. The few times that I did get it right the Shave was pretty good. I just went back to DE for my sake. Well worth a try especially if you get it right.

Start with a middle-of-the-road vintage razor, like one of the GEM/Ever Ready 1912 variants or a Micromatic Clog-Pruf or a Schick type I, J or L. These choices aren't the most aggressive, nor are they the mildest (well, Schick type L is pretty mild). If you like the one you pick, you're off to the races; if you don't, you aren't out much money. If you want to explore more aggressive or milder razors, they're out there.

The best thing about SE shaving, other than the superior shave? There's no what-blade-is-best-for-me snipe hunt involved with the SEs. There are only a few blades to choose from, and of those the GEM PTFE-coated blade and the Schick injector blades made in China receive the lion's share of the blade accolades.

Good luck, have fun - don't forget the SE angle is much more shallow than you're used to with DE.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Choose a platform: Gem, AC or injector (or one of the really idiosyncratic vintage ones that used proprietary blades).

No reason you can't explore all of them, of course!

Not being an injector person, I'll let others make those recommendations.

I agree about finding a middle-of-the-road Gem. The older 1912-pattern is very mild and forgiving but the handle threads are an obsolete standard (8-24 IIRC) so you may need to learn to like the vintage handle as well. YMMV. More recent Gems like the G-Bar/Heavy Flat Top, Featherweight, Clog-Pruf shave differently. All of them are fairly inexpensive still, so you can try several for "one money."

I'll also suggest Ever-Ready. While they were also part of ASR with Gem, they had their own product line and even similar looking razors had differences. The Ever-Ready 1914 pattern "Little Lather Catcher" is a very nice little shaver. The 1924 Shovel Head is generally considered more aggressive than the ER 1914.

If you like OC razors, the Gem MMOC (Micro-Matic Open Comb) is a popular choice. There are some modern "Gem-ish" razors that are OC as well (PAA Starling V2 OC is one of my faves). If you run across an ATT G1 I'd say pick it up. It's not OC but it has potential and is a good shaver.

I'm a bit less involved with AC format. I can recommend blades more than razors, as I've only so far used the ATT SE1 and SE2. It's YMMV, but my advice with AC is to remember that it's a big sharp blade and maybe start out with a package of Feather ProGuard or other guarded blade. The Feather Pro blades I found better than the Feather Super Pro before I tried the ProGuard. I tried the Schick P-30 and realized I didn't have the mojo for it. Others really like it. I will eventually get to trying out more blades. Between the two razors I suggest definitely that you start with the SE1.

O.H.

Great advice gents. I’m open to the vintage gem idea but where do you find them?

I bought my gem Bullit tip and 1912 damaskene from eBay and I see those regular on eBay
They are not my cup of tea though
Prefer the modern oneblade, focus dynamic and broman next to my de razors

Both the razors you mentioned have return policies. Try one or both of them out and return them if they don't speak to you. That's even cheaper than going vintage and you'll gain experience without spending anything.

My thoughts for whatever they're worth ...

I would start with one of these choices
  • GEM Featherweight
  • GEM Clog-Pruf
  • GEM Micromatic Open Comb (aka MMOC)
  • Razorock Hawk V2
The GEMs are all vintage. I think the Featherweight deserves even more love that it gets. As the name suggests, the Featherweight is a very light razor. That aside, it has a commendable combination of smoothness and efficiency. The MMOC is the most aggressive of the bunch, and both it and the Clog-Pruf are very popular. IMO the Personna PTFE SS blades are the blades to use in a GEM razor. The Hawk is a lightweight, modern, Artist Club (AC) razor - cheap, well made, reasonably efficient, and smooth. A real value.

I would not start with a Sabre, even though I own one with both plates, and I like it. It has the impeccable workmanship for which @Blackland Razors is noted (as they are for their excellent customer service), and IMO it has a degree of class unmatched by the vintage choices - especially if you get the matching stand. However, you will be lucky to fully appreciate the Sabre (or any razor) in 30 days, at which point, you will no doubt wonder if a $25ish vintage razor would suit you as well. Better to start on the cheap and go from there.

I have strong and positive feelings about the OneBlade Genesis V2, but as has been mentioned, it is controversial and not for everyone. I could elaborate, but suffice it to say I would not start with a OneBlade.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Last edited:
J
My thoughts for whatever they're worth ...

I would start with one of these choices
  • GEM Featherweight
  • GEM Clog-Pruf
  • GEM Micromatic Open Comb (aka MMOC)
  • Razorock Hawk V2
The GEMs are all vintage. I think the Featherweight deserves even more love that it gets. As the name suggests, the Featherweight is a very light razor. That aside, it has a commendable combination of smoothness and efficiency. The MMOC is the most aggressive of the bunch, and both it and the Clog-Pruf are very popular. IMO the Personna PTFE SS blades are the blades to use in a GEM razor. The Hawk is a lightweight, modern, Artist Club (AC) razor - cheap, well made, reasonably efficient, and smooth. A real value.

I would not start with a Sabre, even though I own one with both plates, and I like it. It has the impeccable workmanship for which @Blackland Razors is noted (as they are for their excellent customer service), and IMO it has a degree of class unmatched by the vintage choices - especially if you get the matching stand. However, you will be lucky to fully appreciate the Sabre (or any razor) in 30 days, at which point, you will no doubt wonder if a $25ish vintage razor would suit you as well. Better to start on the cheap and go from there.

I have strong and positive feelings about the OneBlade Genesis V2, but as has been mentioned, it is controversial and not for everyone. I could elaborate, but suffice it to say I would not start with a OneBlade.

Good luck whichever way you go.
Please elaborate on the OneBlade. No one ever seems to complain about the performance. The price is astronomical but a Feather AS-D2 sale will be contributing to the purchase price. I could actually do without the fancy stand and leather case but that doesn’t seem to be an option.

The OneBlade is quite a modern design. This is a contrast to my other traditional wet shaving equipment and I am in two minds on it. A touch of modern engineering would round out my collection quite well though. I am noticing that single edge blade cost a lot more than DE blades. Not sure why.

I only have experience with the Blackland Vector. I have never used any other SE razor. The Vector has quickly risen to the top of my list of favorite razors. It was extremely easy to get used to and I always had irritation free shaves. I also thoroughly endorse Blackland customer service!! Just a great company @Blackland Razors that produces awesome products!!!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My favorite SE razors:

Blackland Sabre

20200302_121213~2.jpg

GEM Featherweight Deluxe

20200217_091845~2.jpg

Both provide incredible shaves! :)

I only have experience with the Blackland Vector. I have never used any other SE razor. The Vector has quickly risen to the top of my list of favorite razors. It was extremely easy to get used to and I always had irritation free shaves. I also thoroughly endorse Blackland customer service!! Just a great company @Blackland Razors that produces awesome products!!!
I noticed that the ac blade is a lot wider than a standard de blade. With my straight I have that found the longer blade makes it harder to get into tight spots. Any issue with this on the Vector? There are some reports of sharp corners on the Vector. Have you found this to be an issue?

I noticed that the ac blade is a lot wider than a standard de blade. With my straight I have that found the longer blade makes it harder to get into tight spots. Any issue with this on the Vector? There are some reports of sharp corners on the Vector. Have you found this to be an issue?

That was fixed well over a year ago :).

Top Bottom