What's new

Looking for SE recommendations.

I can recommend the Supply injector.
20200306_130546.jpg

Or you can go vintage.
20200118_165623.jpg

It would be good if you could buy the head only as my preference is for knurled handles.

There are a few reasons for this. I'm protective of my designs as the heads and handles are made to perfectly compliment one another, both aesthetically and functionally. Other razor makers design a bunch of different handles and heads and slap them together. That's not how I design. I design complete razors. So I want customers to experience the razor (at least at first) as it was designed. Specifically with the Vector, the head is so compact that the tops of many handles are too wide and will partially cover the lather holes. The Vector handle is also plenty grippy and other handles just look terrible on the Vector because their proportions are way off relative to the small head. In short, I don't foresee this changing.

Side note: OneBlade doesn't have knurling either. Nor do the vintage GEMs mentioned here. There are other ways to make a handle grippy. :)

Great advice gents. I’m open to the vintage gem idea but where do you find them?

There are usually a good selection on ebay - many are overpriced, don't pay more than 20AUD for a 1912. I got a really superb example of a Gem Jewel (like an Ever Ready Streamline) from an Australian seller so I know they are out there.

Many thanks for the suggestions gents. The winner this time round is the Oneblade Hybrid but you’ve given me a lot to think about.

The main reasons were as follows
1. Fantastic reviews of shave quality. Mantic raves about them and I haven’t seen a single negative comment on shave quality.
2. The design is unique and very different from anything that I already have. Between my Ralf Aust straight and Timeless double edge, I will now have a wide coverage of different systems and styles ranging from historical, traditional to ultra modern. This range of styles fits in well with my other collections, general tastes and interests.
3. At 20% off the hybrid bundle was available at the right price. It is a slight compromise but I’m happy that right quality of materials have been put in the right place. The bundle also has some useful items. I like to have a carry case for my dopp bag while blades and a blade bin are essential. An extra $350 AUD for a steel handle is a little excessive. For me this would have been an over investment in a system that is unlikely to be my daily driver and may not have blades available in the future.
4. I think that I can finally bin the Mach 3 all together with this. The Oneblade looks like it can go anywhere without concern. Even the Mrs. should be comfortable enough to deploy it on the back of my neck from time to time.

This piece will add a new dimension to the collection. It is different enough that there is probably still room for a traditional se at some point in the future.

Please elaborate on the OneBlade. No one ever seems to complain about the performance. The price is astronomical but a Feather AS-D2 sale will be contributing to the purchase price. I could actually do without the fancy stand and leather case but that doesn’t seem to be an option.

The OneBlade is quite a modern design. This is a contrast to my other traditional wet shaving equipment and I am in two minds on it. A touch of modern engineering would round out my collection quite well though. I am noticing that single edge blade cost a lot more than DE blades. Not sure why.
I don't want to elaborate on the controversy, even though it is reasonable for you to ask. Instead, I'll just state my own views. Others can chime in and speak their own piece, and you can also sniff around the forums and see what has been said before.

The head has a pivot
The OneBlade has a pivoting head. Some people object to that, claiming it makes the OneBlade like a cartridge and/or different from a safety razor. I don't agree. The OneBlade pivots against a stiff spring, which puts it completely under the shaver's control. If you don't want the head to pivot, then don't press. The OneBlade also has slightly positive blade exposure, as nearly as I can tell. In contrast, the few cartridges I know pivot uncontrollably to conform to the face (so you have no control over the blade angle), and they have negative blade exposure, which requires pressing. If you press with a OneBlade, you may - if you are lucky - avoid being cut. But even if you avoid bleeding, you will likely feel some post shave irritation because you pressed the head against your skin. Pressing is bad technique with any safety razor. OTOH unlike most safety razors, the OneBlade gives you a "heads up" when you screw up: You will often hear the "click" when the OneBlade spring drives the head back after you release the press. All things considered, I think the one blade shaves very much like a safety razor and not at all like a cartridge. Attention to pressure and angle is rewarded, and lack of attention is punished.

The razor is expensive
Duh! This may be unfair, but I imagine the OneBlade folks have all along been trolling for overpaid yuppies and other affluents. Some people object to this - something which I find understandable, but it is not my issue.

The razor is built to take the Feather FHS-10 blade
I won't waste time trying to put lipstick on a pig here. FHS-10s are made only by Feather. Other formats (GEM, AC, DE, Schick injector) have competing producers. Not surprisingly, FHS-10s are the most expensive blade, on top of which, most users that I have seen report that FHS-10s are short lived blades - yielding only one or two good shaves. So the cost of OneBlade ownership is high.

GEM blades can be used in the OneBlade, but they have to be despined, and in the V2, the edges must also be trimmed with a nibbler, Dremel, or some other tool. I've done this many times. It is easy enough as far as it goes, but the trimming, and hence the fit is inexact, plus there are very tiny metal shavings that must be accounted for and kept away from pets and little grandchildren.

Control of US distribution of FHS-10 blades
Some shavers have reported that OneBlade not only makes the razors, but also controls the distribution of FHS-10 blades within the US. I have neither any reason to doubt these people nor any proof that they are correct. In any case, many folks are uncomfortable with the idea of the same entity controlling both production of the razor and distribution of the blades. Recently, multiple sellers have popped up on Amazon, but it is not clear who controls them. (See this thread.)

My take and bottom line
I am very glad I got the OneBlade Genesis. It is among my few GoTo safety razors - and not because it is flawless, but despite its flaws. It is far from cost effective, and I have two main objections to the design - the handle and the choice of FHS-10 blades instead of the GEM format. There was a time when I was on some heart medications, and I could not grip the handle without cramping up. I had to put Monster Grips on the OneBlade handle in order to use the razor. A round, knurled handle - or better yet - a removable handle would be a big improvement. As far as blade format goes, I think I am among many shavers who feel that the OneBlade screams for a GEM version, and who find the lack of a GEM version irritating.

Nevertheless, at the end of the day, I love shaving with this razor. It is very mild and efficient and, particularly with a fresh blade, a joy to shave with. Attention to zero pressure and proper angle will be required, but it will also be rewarded very smooth and very close shave.

Many thanks for the suggestions gents. The winner this time round is the Oneblade Hybrid but you’ve given me a lot to think about.

The main reasons were as follows
1. Fantastic reviews of shave quality. Mantic raves about them and I haven’t seen a single negative comment on shave quality.
2. The design is unique and very different from anything that I already have. Between my Ralf Aust straight and Timeless double edge, I will now have a wide coverage of different systems and styles ranging from historical, traditional to ultra modern. This range of styles fits in well with my other collections, general tastes and interests.
3. At 20% off the hybrid bundle was available at the right price. It is a slight compromise but I’m happy that right quality of materials have been put in the right place. The bundle also has some useful items. I like to have a carry case for my dopp bag while blades and a blade bin are essential. An extra $350 AUD for a steel handle is a little excessive. For me this would have been an over investment in a system that is unlikely to be my daily driver and may not have blades available in the future.
4. I think that I can finally bin the Mach 3 all together with this. The Oneblade looks like it can go anywhere without concern. Even the Mrs. should be comfortable enough to deploy it on the back of my neck from time to time.

This piece will add a new dimension to the collection. It is different enough that there is probably still room for a traditional se at some point in the future.

- Busy day here, and I see my reply came a bit late. Regardless, I think you made one of the good choices, and very reasonably skipped paying for the handle. Congratulations!

J

Please elaborate on the OneBlade. No one ever seems to complain about the performance. The price is astronomical but a Feather AS-D2 sale will be contributing to the purchase price. I could actually do without the fancy stand and leather case but that doesn’t seem to be an option.

The OneBlade is quite a modern design. This is a contrast to my other traditional wet shaving equipment and I am in two minds on it. A touch of modern engineering would round out my collection quite well though. I am noticing that single edge blade cost a lot more than DE blades. Not sure why.
The oneblade has a pivot head just like broman, focus dynamic that makes it a bit controversial
Most have issues with the longevity and cost of the propriety feather fhs blade. 2-3 shaves max.
Performance is very good and comfortable for most.
The classic gems and the injectors beat it due to longevity cost per shave.
For me the genesis will go because I can get an easy shave from my other pivot razors and much more freedom and longevity with half de blades which cost a fraction. The build quality ergonomics and feel of the genesis is outstanding though.

There are a few reasons for this. I'm protective of my designs as the heads and handles are made to perfectly compliment one another, both aesthetically and functionally. Other razor makers design a bunch of different handles and heads and slap them together. That's not how I design. I design complete razors. So I want customers to experience the razor (at least at first) as it was designed. Specifically with the Vector, the head is so compact that the tops of many handles are too wide and will partially cover the lather holes. The Vector handle is also plenty grippy and other handles just look terrible on the Vector because their proportions are way off relative to the small head. In short, I don't foresee this changing.

Side note: OneBlade doesn't have knurling either. Nor do the vintage GEMs mentioned here. There are other ways to make a handle grippy. :)
Lol I had paracord around my genesis. Was coming from the Mach and missing the anti slip rubber. Removed it later no longer needed.

Oneblade can be used with gem blades for much more longevity and imho an even smoother shave but it will take you some work to modify the gem blades to fit.

The oneblade has a pivot head just like broman, focus dynamic that makes it a bit controversial
Most have issues with the longevity and cost of the propriety feather fhs blade. 2-3 shaves max.
Performance is very good and comfortable for most.
The classic gems and the injectors beat it due to longevity cost per shave.
For me the genesis will go because I can get an easy shave from my other pivot razors and much more freedom and longevity with half de blades which cost a fraction. The build quality ergonomics and feel of the genesis is outstanding though.
I’ll admit that blade cost was a consideration. The single blades all seem to be much more expensive than the de blades. FHS-10 seems to be about the same as Artist Club. I generally use the feather double edge and I rate the brand highly. I only use the double edge blades once as it is. If the FHS-10 lasts two shaves it should work out about the same. Luckily you seem to be able to get them from multiple sources in Australia. G&C from Spain has the best bulk buy rates if the Oneblade ends up seeing frequent use.
A pivot is a bit high tech. Is it cheating? I don’t really care. I like the old school stuff and I have plenty of if that’s the mood I’m in. If it works, a big of technology is sometimes a good thing. It all has its place. I wouldn’t deny myself a good shave on principal. I’m a purist but not a sadist.

A pivot is for some a bit cheating
I went from a cart to the genesis which made transition easy
But after that I got a de and learned to shave proper which gave better results with the genesis also.

Imho the blade loading of the genesis is the best solution of the pivot heads.

Keep in mind that ac and injector blade life is much much longer as a feather fhs.
I can shave 2 days max with a feather fhs. And easily a week with a gem and two weeks with a bic de in a fusion or broman.

In general a fixed head and stiff blade will yield better results
But a pivot head is very comfy

Have fun

Bought a OneBlade Core, didn't really like it enough to become proficient with it. When I happened upon the right angles/approaches, it was very good, but it depended on a very narrow margin of efficient technique.

I use the FHS-10 blade in my AutoStrops, and I can't for the life of me understand why so many users deride it as short-lived. I get at least 5 or 6 uses from these blades, and could stretch them further if I wished, but I'm a stickler for BBS. It doesn't help the blade's reputation when OneBlade advises the user to toss them after one or two shaves.

As the OP is in Oz, the whole US distribution kerfluffle doesn't apply - he can probably order blades from vendors in Asia or even some in the EU without trouble.

Usually they are very competitive priced compared to holland
Only wish shipping was a bit less or free from a certain amount.
Hopefully they will start to stock what is now uk or USA only

Top Bottom