What's new

Looking for Safety Razor Guidance

Keep it simple and inexpensive: a Tech or a Schick injector. Cheap ($5 - 15), widely available and easy to use. Perfect your technique and don’t spend a lot on hardware. The razors I recommend will work well right from the beginning and will provide a lifetime of shaves

Last edited:
Hi all -

Was more active here several years back but almost exclusively regarding straight razors. I have some good razors, soaps, after shaves, brushes, etc., BUT, I have never had/used a safety razor. I have looked around the forums, but hoping for some help.

Due to some personal changes, my skin has become extremely sensitive and straight razor shaving has become a challenge, also for a personal reason I would prefer not to discuss. I am a straight razor person, but my hands and face have asked for a change.

My understanding is that a safety razor is the most "foolproof" and easy on the skin/user. As such, looking for guidance.
Not concerned about budget, as I am guessing the Fila's and other vintage stuff I have was a bigger wallet hit.

To the point:

- Recommended Safety Razors with ease of use and durability at top of mind?

- Recommended blades with ease on the face as the main driver?

Thank you in advance for your help.
With your increased skin sensitivity you may prefer a milder razor. Many of us, including myself, use the King. C. Gillette DE razor. The blade exposure and construction delivers BBS shaves with hardly ever any weepers. Readily available on-line and in some stores. Lots of B&Ber post on this with additional details.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The ATT X1 is an excellent razor. One of the best in my view of it.

1-10-23.X1.SV-Felce.BigMo.640JPG.JPG

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This is also a maybe right away. I’d like to try a GEM but could see four to start: X1, Superslant, Henson Mild and a Gem (maybe Sabre, maybe Starling, maybe older).

A number of gentlemen use the GEM/ER platform regularly. I know some use very old razors and are quite informed about the relative merits of the various older models.

I have two Superslants. I'm not a fan of the L3 baseplate, but don't hate it. The L1++ baseplate turned out to be very much to my liking.

Without knowing something about my skin and whiskers none of that means much. My beard is what I'd call average. Not terribly dense but just average in most respects. I have very tough and wiry old man whiskers which are challenging in some area particularly my soul patch, upper lip, and around my mouth. My neck beard map is difficult. My skin is not terribly sensitive, but it's prone to dryness.

I can shave with any razor, but going ATG on my upper lip much prefer mild feeling razors.

Schick injectors are another option. I don't use mine much anymore, but it's not because I don't like 'em. I like them very much. There are plenty of good, old, and inexpensive models out there. At one time I ranked an injector #1 of all my razors. I'm not trying to sell you on an injector, not at all, but you might find my thinking on why I like the injector of interest and helpful.

There are a lot of very good razors, but that's not saying all of the very good razors work equally well for all of us as our whiskers and skin and preferences vary. Also some guys shave every day like me while others shave once a week.

Happy shaves,

Jim

A number of gentlemen use the GEM/ER platform regularly. I know some use very old razors and are quite informed about the relative merits of the various older models.

I have two Superslants. I'm not a fan of the L3 baseplate, but don't hate it. The L1++ baseplate turned out to be very much to my liking.

Without knowing something about my skin and whiskers none of that means much. My beard is what I'd call average. Not terribly dense but just average in most respects. I have very tough and wiry old man whiskers which are challenging in some area particularly my soul patch, upper lip, and around my mouth. My neck beard map is difficult. My skin is not terribly sensitive, but it's prone to dryness.

I can shave with any razor, but going ATG on my upper lip much prefer mild feeling razors.

Schick injectors are another option. I don't use mine much anymore, but it's not because I don't like 'em. I like them very much. There are plenty of good, old, and inexpensive models out there. At one time I ranked an injector #1 of all my razors. I'm not trying to sell you on an injector, not at all, but you might find my thinking on why I like the injector of interest and helpful.

There are a lot of very good razors, but that's not saying all of the very good razors work equally well for all of us as our whiskers and skin and preferences vary. Also some guys shave every day like me while others shave once a week.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks again for all your help on this, Jim. So, I have VERY coarse and tough hair. Combine that with sensitive skin and ever since I was a teenager, shaving has been a challenge. Straight-razor shaving was the closest I ever got to comfortable, so hoping I can find something close here. Irritation beyond nicks always been an issue. My "software," I believe, is of good quality, as I have quite a few soaps, balms, etc that are highly regarded.

I find I simply like the look of the GEM style, as silly as that may sound. The one side format seems intriguing to me. Probably why the ATT X1 is attractive as well. Would love to get the G1 that apparently is no longer being made.

I have grabbed a few GEMs from the Etsy shop mentioned earlier and have already ordered the Henson and Superslant 1. I may be impatient (as I tend to be) and order the X1 in the next few days, but part of me says I should see if I enjoy the Superslant as a test of liking slants in general. From there, I can go down the slant rabbit hole.

I tend to be a collector and had quite a few straight razors, many of which I will put on the marketplace in the coming weeks. As such, I know myself in that I will want to use different razors of different styles. Just a mood thing. I enjoy the variety of it. I find consistency and "sameness" to lead to boredom quite quickly.

So while many, rightfully so, tend to have a type (DE, SE, GEM, what have you), I know that I will probably play with almost all of them in a completely unorganized and unplanned rotation.

And lord knows I will still use my favorite straights here and there, perilous as it may be.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks again for all your help on this, Jim. So, I have VERY coarse and tough hair. Combine that with sensitive skin and ever since I was a teenager, shaving has been a challenge. Straight-razor shaving was the closest I ever got to comfortable, so hoping I can find something close here. Irritation beyond nicks always been an issue. My "software," I believe, is of good quality, as I have quite a few soaps, balms, etc that are highly regarded.

I find I simply like the look of the GEM style, as silly as that may sound. The one side format seems intriguing to me. Probably why the ATT X1 is attractive as well. Would love to get the G1 that apparently is no longer being made.

I have grabbed a few GEMs from the Etsy shop mentioned earlier and have already ordered the Henson and Superslant 1. I may be impatient (as I tend to be) and order the X1 in the next few days, but part of me says I should see if I enjoy the Superslant as a test of liking slants in general. From there, I can go down the slant rabbit hole.

I tend to be a collector and had quite a few straight razors, many of which I will put on the marketplace in the coming weeks. As such, I know myself in that I will want to use different razors of different styles. Just a mood thing. I enjoy the variety of it. I find consistency and "sameness" to lead to boredom quite quickly.

So while many, rightfully so, tend to have a type (DE, SE, GEM, what have you), I know that I will probably play with almost all of them in a completely unorganized and unplanned rotation.

And lord knows I will still use my favorite straights here and there, perilous as it may be.

Thanks for the skin & whiskers information. Should be helpful to anyone offering advice, too. I would suggest following David @never-stop-learning to see what he thinks of the X1. His beard sounds like yours, but he doesn't have sensitive skin. I know he loves the Blackbird Titanium Vector more; I didn't love it and returned mine. (I didn't love the handle + I didn't fin the ultra cool head shaved me as well as the X1 although the difference was small.)

I may have missed it, but which Superslant?

Nothing at all wrong with the GEM platform from what I've heard.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Evening All.
I'm new to B&B and I'm not sure if I'm in the correct forum so treat me gently. I recently acquired a Schick Repeating Razor Type B1. The razor is in need of a cleaning and tune up. Does anyone know or wish to recommend a company that does this. It's a bit beyond my current skill set.
Erich

Evening All.
I'm new to B&B and I'm not sure if I'm in the correct forum so treat me gently. I recently acquired a Schick Repeating Razor Type B1. The razor is in need of a cleaning and tune up. Does anyone know or wish to recommend a company that does this. It's a bit beyond my current skill set.
Erich

Not sure if he does these blades, but there’s an Etsy shop earlier in this chain. Guy named Chris Spencer. Super easy to deal with.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I am tempted to get an injector to see what the fuss is about now too :)

Not sure if he does these blades, but there’s an Etsy shop earlier in this chain. Guy named Chris Spencer. Super easy to deal with.
Elliot. Thank you for your assist. I will reach out to Chris. Perhaps he knows someone if he doesn’t do it himself.
Erich

Top Bottom