What's new

Looking for replacement for Merkur Vision

Hi,
Sadly my Merkur Vision decided to snap today so need to find a replacement which is similar, have tried the futur and not a fan of the shave. All recommendations much appreciated!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I am sorry for your loss! This was a very rare razor, and the Futur line is very closely related to it. I am afraid there is nothing out there anymore that is similar in design. For giving a similar shave most here will have to guess, because who does have a Merkur Vision. I don't, I wonder if there are some members who have one, though.

A wild guess... the Qshave Parthenon V2. They copied Merkur so much, maybe it does have some similarities.

But to be honest, I am afraid you will have to find another kind of razor, if the Futur and clones don't do it for you.

For the money give a snmirn a go. Big clunky but smooth forgiving relative mild but I never had a vision to compare.

Hi,
I must have bought the vision a good 10years ago as my first DE Safety and thought nothing of it. Until now has been perfect but the inner rod snapped t he top so the adjustment and butterfly closure is no longer connected to the body :(

Living in the U.K had a quick look and only one I saw was £250 on eBay and not looking to spend that sort of money as I must have spent less then half that on it originally but of course now seeing its collectible and I only ever used it as my stand alone go to.
Sadly Futur doesn't have the length or the same closure system as the VISION maybe its just something I'll have to get used to but would like something somewhat similar.

Hi,
I must have bought the vision a good 10years ago as my first DE Safety and thought nothing of it. Until now has been perfect but the inner rod snapped t he top so the adjustment and butterfly closure is no longer connected to the body :(

Living in the U.K had a quick look and only one I saw was £250 on eBay and not looking to spend that sort of money as I must have spent less then half that on it originally but of course now seeing its collectible and I only ever used it as my stand alone go to.
Sadly Futur doesn't have the length or the same closure system as the VISION maybe its just something I'll have to get used to but would like something somewhat similar.
To the value it might be doable to either get a replacement part or go to a 3D print shop to make one or call some razor repair makers
I would not bin it for sure

You could try a Merkur Progress. The price is within reason (for a new adjustable DE razor), and (at minimum setting) it's milder (and cheaper) than the Futur. It has its quirks -- see Mantic59's YouTube video for a discussion.

I went back-and-forth between my Progress and my EJ DE89, since I could never decide that one was better than the other.

. Charles

What are peoples views on the Gillette Slim / Fat boy any comparison to be made with the Vision 2000 ?

The closest is the Merkur Progress. The Progress has some quirks, but having had a Vision you are accustomed to quirks and to quirkiness. :lemo:

The Slim/Fat Boy doesn't really compare to the Vision in design or in feel, though all 3 razors are outstanding. I would recommend the Merkur Progress to you without reservation. (I have and use all 4 razors.)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I was able to open that link just directly clicking it on my mac.

The company is BM Vintage Shaving. Maybe you can find it searching Google. They're not giving their Vision razors away but why should they?

Gus @GlazedBoker knows a lot about this razor. He's responsible for my interest in the Vision. I have one which was given to me by a member. Mine was NOS and perfect. It shaves very well indeed. I know nothing of the more recent offerings from the Merkur company.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Brother els_19,

Specifically, what broke on your Vision, and how did it happen? I find that interesting, as the Vision is quite robust.

So I'm not sure if it is a screw thread or pin or how connected but its sheered off and snapped where the blade sits. Actually will take a picture easier then explaining will attach to this....as you can see has just broken off the top where they should be attached. To small a join to weld etc I believe. :'(

Attachments

• IMG_2413.jpeg
    IMG_2413.jpeg
    970.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2415.jpeg
    IMG_2415.jpeg
    957.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2414.jpeg
    IMG_2414.jpeg
    882.6 KB · Views: 15

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So I'm not sure if it is a screw thread or pin or how connected but its sheered off and snapped where the blade sits. Actually will take a picture easier then explaining will attach to this....as you can see has just broken off the top where they should be attached. To small a join to weld etc I believe. :'(

Maybe parts on eBay? (I know it's a long shot.)

How often over time have you used the razor and how have you taken care of it? Has it been a Daily Driver for you? How many times have you used it? In other words tell me more? (Asking because of none-of-my-business curiosity.)

10-3-21.Vision.LE-3Band.SS-Etherea.640.JPG

10-1-21.Vision.Box.640.JPG
10-1-21.VisionTin.Open.640.JPG
10-1-21.Vision-in-tin.640JPG.JPG

I have a NOS Vision fairly new to me. As I was told before it came my way as a gift from a member, that is was a very good shaving razor which turned out to be correct. I can see how you'd mourn the loss of yours.

Gus @GlazedBoker knows a lot about the Vision.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hi,

As you are in the UK, where there is a far more robust model engineering hobby community, you may be able to find somebody near you who both owns a lathe and has the expertise to reproduce the broken part.

If you were to provide photos and measurements of the part and its details, I might be able to produce a proper drawing that you could take to any competent machinist.

Maybe parts on eBay? (I know it's a long shot.)

How often over time have you used the razor and how have you taken care of it? Has it been a Daily Driver for you? How many times have you used it? In other words tell me more? (Asking because of none-of-my-business curiosity.)

I have a NOS Vision fairly new to me. As I was told before it came my way as a gift from a member, that is was a very good shaving razor which turned out to be correct. I can see how you'd mourn the loss of yours.

Gus @GlazedBoker knows a lot about the Vision.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Gave eBay a try for parts and nothing to be found just one guy selling the razor as a whole, have messaged them to see if they would do anything on price (worth a shot).

This has been my one and only razor since purchase which was my first DE razor ever coming from your standard 5blade Gillette razor. So must have been bought around 2010 possibly a year earlier. Since then I would say on average has been a shave once every 2weeks (minus a few times growing a beard etc over the years seeing as its been 10+ years), I would like to think its been well looked after though cleaning etc no jamming, still looking in great condition, still have my tin it came in etc.

As you are in the UK, where there is a far more robust model engineering hobby community, you may be able to find somebody near you who both owns a lathe and has the expertise to reproduce the broken part.

If you were to provide photos and measurements of the part and its details, I might be able to produce a proper drawing that you could take to any competent machinist.

The issue isn't he rod though it's the connection point between the rod and the razor hold "T" which should be connected all as one piece. The Rod in itself is fine its just that end snap, it's like it needs soldering back together but solder is obviously no where near strong enough so may need to look at the brazing route but it's a very small join and imagine a very finicky job but if it can be done probably Ould take someone seconds.

Will have to see if I can find anyone that can repair but not sure where to start...

Top Bottom