What's new

Looking for recommendations on cheap new brush

Hi, I'm relatively new to DE shaving, but I've used brushes for a long time. Well, I used a single brush for decades that fell apart this morning. It was a boar bristle, pretty stiff, but I don't mind.
I'd just run up to the store and pick up a new brush, but I discovered that everywhere that sold them before (Walgreens, Meijer, Sally Beauty Supply, Fred Meyer) stopped selling them in recent years. So now I have to actually seek out a brush online.
Can anyone recommend a cheap but surprisingly good brush? I like boar but would do synthetic.

You have experience with Boar brushes so I’ll recommend an inexpensive brush that is awesome and will provide years of great lathers.
Omega 10049 Pro Boar.
And if you really want to make your great brush last a long time, grab a second one…my recommendation Omega 10102 (also has the Pro Boar knot).
Don’t let the big lofts and large size worry you, these are great.

If you want a medium sized brush try Omega 10066

Or a Semogue 1470 if you like smaller brushes

For bigger brushes the Proraso Pro and Omega 10049 are well regarded.

But if I were you I'd get both the Omega 10066 and a Yaqi Sagrada Familia so you can try synthetic. You can get them both together for like $25 USD

Westcoastshaving.com

Maggards.com

Since most boar and pretty much all synthetic brushes are very inexpensive, I suggest you to get one of each and give them a try. Like some have already suggested, you can get a nice Omega and Yaqi without breaking the bank.

I've only used one boar brush and it was an Omega 10049 and even after I broke the hair and made her work a bit better, I still wasn't impressed with the results and I sold her. I only use synthetic brushes, which perform incredibly well and I absolutely see no reason to try anything else.

As always - YMMV.

This might help:

Favorite 50 dollar brush ? Line em up ! - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/favorite-50-dollar-brush-line-em-up.614030/page-2#post-11464914

Also what are you looking for in a brush? Soft tips? A little scrubby? Size? Just so you get better/focused suggestions
Honestly, cheapness. I know some people don't like scratchy and stiff, but I don't care. If there was an $8 brush that was soft, I'd buy that, but I'm no connoisseur and have no preference. I couldn't justify buying a single brush for $50 when I didn't spend that much in total buying four vintage DE razors (Slim, Red Tip, NEW and Old).

Yaqi Sagrada Familia is inexpensive, well performing, and highly attractive. I really like the Omega 49 too. It eventually becomes soft and lathers quickly and bountifully.

I really like having one of each. When I forget to soak the boar, it is nice to just wet the synthetic and go.

If you want a medium sized brush try Omega 10066

Or a Semogue 1470 if you like smaller brushes

For bigger brushes the Proraso Pro and Omega 10049 are well regarded.

But if I were you I'd get both the Omega 10066 and a Yaqi Sagrada Familia so you can try synthetic. You can get them both together for like $25 USD

Westcoastshaving.com

Maggards.com
Thanks! I'm looking into these now.

I own and highly recommend Semogue SOC (Semogue owners Club), Semogue 1305 and 620. All very very nice boar brushes that will treat you incredibly well for decades to come all under the $50 mark.
Don’t worry about the fad of the month you just want a tool to make lather and last while being inexpensive not ‘cheap’ Semogue has the best hairs of any boar brush and I’ve run through all of them. They use a very high grade of bristle better than Omega by a bunch.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Honestly, cheapness. I know some people don't like scratchy and stiff, but I don't care. If there was an $8 brush that was soft, I'd buy that, but I'm no connoisseur and have no preference. I couldn't justify buying a single brush for $50 when I didn't spend that much in total buying four vintage DE razors (Slim, Red Tip, NEW and Old).
Gotcha. If you have a Walmart in your area, they usually carry a Wilkinson Sword brush that can be found for around $7 ish usd. Here's a thread on it:

Also Daiso's if there are any in your are (Japanese dollar stores basically) have a brush that is like $2 I think they are.

Post back what you end up with, curious. Thanks.

I've seen the Omega 10066 selling for as little as $8 USD (even though it is currently $11.50 USD from the same vendor) and the Omega 10049 Professional is currently available for less than $10 USD from the same vendor. There are many fine boar and synthetic brushes available for well under $20 USD and many of them have already been suggested in this thread. Good luck with your quest...

Post back what you end up with, curious. Thanks.
I decided! I went with the Semogue 1470 that @SterFry mentioned. It wasn't the cheapest at $13 but it has a wood handle. Hopefully it lasts me years and when it dies I can just throw it (or most of it) into the compost.
I also snagged some soap, Ogallala Bay Rum and Sandalwood, because it was cheap (notice the theme!). I've never tried it, so please don't tell me if it's terrible.
Thanks all for your recommendations!

Top Bottom