What's new

Looking for new DE safety razor, advice needed

Good morning!
Both my vintage safety razors have finally bitten the dust.
For the last 5 years I have been using a Gillette ‘66 Superspeed and a ‘79 Gillette (not sure what model) and enjoyed the shave from each.
I began doing some research, but it seems most “reviews” are merely based on an items Amazon popularity.
And for me, the truthfulness of a lot of Amazon reviews is questionable.

I’m seeking recommendations for a new DE safety razor.
I have thick, coarse facial hair and shave every day.
I would like to keep it under $40 max, as money is tight right now.
Let me know your suggestions!

Get the new King C Gillette. Its affordable, shaves well, will last many many years with good care. I guess stores in the US stock them up.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

There is a Black Tip Super Speed on BST right now with a price drop of $12 shipped. That is a pretty cheap replacement for yoru tired Super Speed.

If you are looking for something modern, I was just gifted a West Coast Shaving open comb that so far has been a very nice razor. With the couple of experiences I have had with it I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Not sure how aggressive your razors are but without spending a lot you can pick up a 3-piece Muhle R41 and a spare R89 head (or vice versa). This will give you a nice aggressive option and a mild option.

Since you are a long time happy classic Gillette user and these are still around in your price bracket I would simply buy a used replacement.
There is enough out there new but it is always a ymmv story so get the trusted one and shave happily ever after.

At $40, lots of possibilities, ranging from another vintage Gillette, even the Fat-Boy, Slim, or Super Adjustable are usually within that range. (Mine should be on BST and/or eBay by the weekend, I just like the Rex I won so much better).

The Gillette New Type SC or LC, or both for not much more than $40. The New SC is a very nice shaver, and smooth, and I personally like it more than the Fat-Tip/Schone, and no need to play with blade alignment. Actually easier to shave with than my Timeless 95 OC, once you get the feel for it, and frankly shaves my face better than my Gillette adjustables.

You might be able to get a Rockwell 6c, which MSRPs for around $50, and can sometimes be found discounted, or lightly used for that $40, which yields multiple plates.

If you can stretch to $50, Timeless sells their Aluminum model, under scratch/dent (used), for $50, including a very nice stand.

Razo-Rock also has several nice razors in that price range, or cheaper. Just lots of possibilities, but if you have a thick coarse growth, I'd consider an open-comb or slightly more aggressive, or one that can dial up to be such, to deal with the growth. - It only gets stiffer/coarser as we get older, my growth has absolutely gotten heavier/coarser than it was 30-40 years ago.

There is a Black Tip Super Speed on BST right now with a price drop of $12 shipped. That is a pretty cheap replacement for yoru tired Super Speed.

If you are looking for something modern, I was just gifted a West Coast Shaving open comb that so far has been a very nice razor. With the couple of experiences I have had with it I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Just sent a PM about the Black Tip, thanks for the heads up!

At $40, lots of possibilities, ranging from another vintage Gillette, even the Fat-Boy, Slim, or Super Adjustable are usually within that range. (Mine should be on BST and/or eBay by the weekend, I just like the Rex I won so much better).

The Gillette New Type SC or LC, or both for not much more than $40. The New SC is a very nice shaver, and smooth, and I personally like it more than the Fat-Tip/Schone, and no need to play with blade alignment. Actually easier to shave with than my Timeless 95 OC, once you get the feel for it, and frankly shaves my face better than my Gillette adjustables.

You might be able to get a Rockwell 6c, which MSRPs for around $50, and can sometimes be found discounted, or lightly used for that $40, which yields multiple plates.

If you can stretch to $50, Timeless sells their Aluminum model, under scratch/dent (used), for $50, including a very nice stand.

Razo-Rock also has several nice razors in that price range, or cheaper. Just lots of possibilities, but if you have a thick coarse growth, I'd consider an open-comb or slightly more aggressive, or one that can dial up to be such, to deal with the growth. - It only gets stiffer/coarser as we get older, my growth has absolutely gotten heavier/coarser than it was 30-40 years ago.

I'll keep my eyes open for your listing on BST!
As for the beard hair getting more coarse as we age, I had no idea, but now that I think of it...

Super Adjustables in excellent shape can be found in that price range. If the Black tip doesn't work out, I would look at those. An ajustable gives the ability to tune it so you get the shave you are looking for.

If you add another 10/15$ you could go for a stainless steel Razorock GC 0.84-P or an interchangeable Rockwell 6C which are very effective & smooth

I purchased the Black Tip that was mentioned earlier!
However, I’m still open to suggestions.
Can’t hurt to have a couple razors on hand!

I shave daily and have same beard type. I use the FOCS and it's under your 40$ mark.
IMG_20200926_142305~3.jpg

My suggestion is the aluminum version of the RR Lupo, which is one of my favorite razors, less than $30. Lupo is very intuitive to operate and can effectively remove a lot of stubble every day. The aluminum material can accompany you for a long time. FOCS is also very good (if there is no problem with blade alignment.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom