What's new

Looking for Modern Razor help...

All of my DE razors are vintage Gillette, the only modern one i have is a Merkur 34C...What would you all suggest for a modern one for me to try?
Prefer a close comb non slant.

You don't say which vintage Gillete razors you prefer. I am partial to Techs, really like all the pre and post war versions that I own, and occasionally use a New Long Comb.

Anyway, I generally prefer mild shavers, and when use a modern razor I reach for my Feather ASD2 or Razorock Game Changer 68P. Both give me great, mild shaves.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I used my Green Cult 2.0 for the first time Thursday (Level 2 base plate). I had a comfortable yet very close shave. With the shorter/thicker handle, the balance was true. Bear in mind, only one shave and my relative limited experience.

There are a couple GC 2.0 threads going at the moment. You might use the search engine here and see what other people are saying about it.

As always, I give full-throated assent to @gdawg55 's suggestions. Those are all worthy of consideration, and I love each and every one of them.

I will add the Above the Tie Windsor SSRH. It has great aesthetic beauty, and is super comfortable and efficient. Because of its beautiful design, it is edging out the Yates 921-M as my very favorite razor. It is just that good. For a more economical choice, and if you do not mind a lighter razor, the ATT SB90 is a very fine razor that raises the efficiency of the Merkur 34C.

If you are looking for higher efficiency, the Edwin Jagger 3one6 is excellent (I prefer it to the the Rocca, but the Rocca is one smooth shaver), and the Timeless aluminum is also a highly efficient and economical "luxury" razor.

I'll suggest you try one or more of my top 6.

Blackland Blackbird
Lambda Athena
Tatara Masamune or Nodachi
Rex Envoy
Timeless .95
Muhle Rocca

You don't say which vintage Gillete razors you prefer. I am partial to Techs, really like all the pre and post war versions that I own, and occasionally use a New Long Comb.

Anyway, I generally prefer mild shavers, and when use a modern razor I reach for my Feather ASD2 or Razorock Game Changer 68P. Both give me great, mild shaves.
I have a british flare tip, a regular flare tip, a black tip, a regular tech, an aristocrat, a fatboy, a slim boy, a black beauty, a black handle flare tip

As always, I give full-throated assent to @gdawg55 's suggestions. Those are all worthy of consideration, and I love each and every one of them.

I will add the Above the Tie Windsor SSRH. It has great aesthetic beauty, and is super comfortable and efficient. Because of its beautiful design, it is edging out the Yates 921-M as my very favorite razor. It is just that good. For a more economical choice, and if you do not mind a lighter razor, the ATT SB90 is a very fine razor that raises the efficiency of the Merkur 34C.

If you are looking for higher efficiency, the Edwin Jagger 3one6 is excellent (I prefer it to the the Rocca, but the Rocca is one smooth shaver), and the Timeless aluminum is also a highly efficient and economical "luxury" razor.
Thanks @ewk

The ATT SSRH is also a very nice selection. I had one for awhile as well. It was certainly a good shaver but I moved it along….though I do missing at times.

I also have the 3one6 and it’s a fantastic razor. It’s hard for me to choose which is better between it and the Rocca. To me they perform almost identically.

We must be shaving brothers from another mother….haha.

Reactions: ewk
The Overlander and Yates 921-M are my favourite two modern razors. The brass Overlander is a great deal for what’s considered a premium razor.

I like the Timeless too but prefer the 68 to the 95. The Lupo 58 or 72 is also great.

These are all mild shavers that are still relatively efficient.

Yates also makes the 'Merica for Wet Shaving Club, which some have said is similar to the Yates 921 with the "M" baseplate. It's a little less expensive than the Yates and might be a good mild-to-mid aggressive choice.

Looks like we're on the same page. The Feather ASD2 and RazorRock Game Changer 68P or my two favorite razors.

lasta

Blade Biter
After a small tour of modern razors, the GC84 is the only one I kept. If you like Tech, the 68 is an option, but IMO, any less than the 84 I'd still rather reach for a Tech.

Top Bottom