What's new

Looking for mild higher end razor...

OK, I had an earlier rant I was replacing my modern stuff with vintage guff... well, I changed my mind mostly after getting frustrated with my collection of vintage razors not shaving as good as my Rockwell 6C (don't judge :straight:)

Soooo, I started this WS journey in 2012, even experimented with a SR. Now that I'm reengaged here on the boards after a several year hiatus, I see there are may really great US and Canada made razors to choose from now. I've chosen to support the many artisan supporters here for razors (I want 3, one for home, at my fiancé's, and one for travel, I make more money now), bowls, brushes, etc. Because we are all tired of china for a variety of factors, I was a little disappointed when I found out my 6C was made in there, only the 6S and MT are made here/canada. I still like mine, but in the spirit of America and upgrading I want to get one of these razors everyone raves about. Not interested in any adjustables, just 3 piece.

Just tried a Timeless Bronze, and believe it or not it was not for me. too much blade feel and mild overall razor burn, guess I have a very sensitive face.
I would consider a 6S, but I don't like the anodized look or colored razors. I have two 6C's, one in White Chrome, and in Gunmetal. My third travel has been a 40's Superspeed. My Slim, Sheraton, other import razors including a Gillette Heritage2 are not as comfortable as the 6C on plate 3.
Looking for modern recommendations. Since I'm after homegrown, not interested in the standard issue Muele/Maggard/everyone-else-has-one recommendations (I'm too rebellious), regardless of how well they shave or where they are made. Also looking for brushes to replace my three PFA's but that's another section of the forums I'm lurking (every time I see something cool the Artisan is sold out :mad3:). Just ordered a couple of bowls from the 'Captain. I remember when he rolled out the copper ones, so I now have one!

At the risk of the mob rioting, looting, and setting me on fire, the Feather, albeit a very well made razor, is not made in the US and not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for homegrown.
But thank you for the recommendation.
Making this new path even FUNNIER is many of the new US made ones, if they rock, are sold out. So that's a pretty good indicator of what to look for.
I've read so many threads on here in the last week I'm crosseyed, hence this post to sort it out. Even tho I have more capital to spend, I cant really afford to keep buying/returning, so need great advice on mild before pulling the trigger. Got the Timeless Bronze because it seemed many didn't like it because it wasn't aggressive enough.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The Rockwell 6S is made in America…

Tradere is higher end, made in America, and is reputed to be mild. It’s designed by @RenoRichard and made by @Blackland Razors so you’ve got higher end, mild/efficient, designed by a wet shaving fan and manufactured by a company that loves wet shaving fans all in that America place you mentioned.

Thanks @thombrogan, checking out the Tradere now. I know the 6S is made here, I just wish it was in the same White Chrome or Gunmetal. It's only offered now in all those anodized looking colors or matte, I just don't care for that.

You might consider the Rex Ambassador adjustable. I love mine.
20200526_100859.jpg

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I think I have to come back and add the beautiful photos of Pils.

IMG_20200826_152839.jpg

IMG_20200826_231233.jpg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Well...mild for me may not be mild for you, but I feel like I fall somewhere in the middle of the spectrum for what I prefer. I'd rather have a razor that goes to the milder side a little than too far on the "shave you just by looking at it" side.

Mild, somewhere above mid-scale. Hmm. Well, the most stunningly efficient yet mild razor I own is the Blackland Sabre, a Gem-style razor, with the L1 plate. I recommend buying the L2 plate at the same time. My experience is that the L1 makes the first two shaves unbelievably smooth, while the L2 plate "cuts a little off that end of the blanket" and puts it on the last two shaves while still giving excellent shaves early on. I generally prefer to use the L2.

I also really like ATT's S2 slant. It's my favourite razor (though I'm finally getting some other nice ones, it's still on top).

It's not always "mild" but I had a beautiful shave this morning from the RazoRock Wunderbar slant.

I don't engage much with regular DE razors, but I have been tracking the RazoRock BBS since it came out. I may try one because it really embodies many of the same design considerations that I have come to believe are crucial for smooth and efficient razors.

You may say RazoRock aims under your price-point, but I say that's a feature, not a bug. [grin] They give excellent value for price -- beyond the Wunderbar I also have both Hawk V3 models and a German 37. Makes me giggle to use a razor that didn't have three digits in the price tag but still shaves like it.

The final rec is for the RazoRock Hawk V3 SB -- a very mild AC razor. Actually, the OC version isn't much more aggressive but does have a little more edginess. I found the SB was actually too mild to shave with a guarded blade! A Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink works like a charm for me.

O.H.

I would also suggest that you take a look at the Haircut and a Shave Co. mixed metal N075 (SS with Al coated baseplate).
I'm testing this razor out right now, and it is VERY impressive. Mild & smooth shave, but extremely efficient.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Sounds like you're turned off on Timeless. But I can tell you...I have their SS .68 with scalloped head & base. It's mild and efficient. Gives a good shave every time I use it. What was the blade gap on that bronze Timeless you used?

I'll second the REX Ambassador. You can adjust it to whatever aggression level you like. I'm a mild razor guy too and if I turn the REX to around 2, there's very little blade feel. It's still very efficient even turned down low though.

The Timeless Ti .68 is pretty mild but honestly with some blades, I still feel it's a bit more aggressive than I like. With some blades it's great though. I really like the lighter weight of the titanium.

Personally I'm waiting to get my hands on this one as soon it becomes available again...Razorock Game changer 0.84 beautifully crafted and from what I've heard super efficient
700_GAMECHANGER.jpg

Top Bottom