What's new

Looking for medium roast decaf/half caff recommendations

Hey everyone,

I am looking for coffee I can brew later in the evening that will not keep me awake all night.
I like medium/medium roasts (not medium light, not medium dark) and am looking for decaf or half caff options.
I drink my coffee black, grind my own beans and make pour overs.
So far I have not found a decaf option that I like the taste so I have started looking at half caff options as well.
Have any of you run across a decaf/half caff that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance for your input!

There is a new decaf process that was developed in Colombia, maybe look for some decaf from there. I wish I could tell what to look for, but they should say something about this process instead of the typical Swiss water, etc. Roasted correctly, it is the only decaf that I could legitimately replace caffeinated if I had to.

I have three for you, second one is out of stock. This might be seasonal...

https://www.heartroasters(dot)com/products/decaf-colombia-plantino

https://onyxcoffeelab(dot)com/products/decaf-colombia-huila
Even though it's out of stock, they talk about the EA process

https://www.klatchroasting(dot)com/collections/single-origin/products/decaf-colombia-cauca-inza
This is the one!

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I am looking for coffee I can brew later in the evening that will not keep me awake all night.
I like medium/medium roasts (not medium light, not medium dark) and am looking for decaf or half caff options.
I drink my coffee black, grind my own beans and make pour overs.
So far I have not found a decaf option that I like the taste so I have started looking at half caff options as well.
Have any of you run across a decaf/half caff that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Ever think about roasting your own? There are many places to order green beans, such as Sweet Maria's or Happy Mug, that carry decaf beans. You get fresh roasted coffee that are roasted to the level you want, albeit with a bit of practice. A hive roaster can be purchased for less than $100, but an air popper can be used and obtained from Sweet Maria's for $20 and includes four pounds of green beans. I roasted some decaf beans from Happy Mug that came out pretty nicely.

Ever think about roasting your own? There are many places to order green beans, such as Sweet Maria's or Happy Mug, that carry decaf beans. You get fresh roasted coffee that are roasted to the level you want, albeit with a bit of practice. A hive roaster can be purchased for less than $100, but an air popper can be used and obtained from Sweet Maria's for $20 and includes four pounds of green beans. I roasted some decaf beans from Happy Mug that came out pretty nicely.
I have not thought about roasting my own but I that is definitely something to consider. Thanks!

I have not thought about roasting my own but I that is definitely something to consider. Thanks!
There are at least a few here who roast their own, so you can get help if you decide to try it. I started with a cast iron skillet on a BBQ grill, but there are many ways to get into it.

Top Bottom