What's new

Looking for info

Hey guys. I made my first SE acquisitions in a bundle of other DEs that I bought. Just wondering if you guys could provide me with any info on them. History or model, good shavers ect.

Attachments

• 20200808_114540.jpg
    20200808_114540.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 20200808_114546.jpg
    20200808_114546.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 20200808_114555.jpg
    20200808_114555.jpg
    965.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200808_114558.jpg
    20200808_114558.jpg
    1,011.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200808_114601.jpg
    20200808_114601.jpg
    975 KB · Views: 15
Other information is.....DAMN! Great starter set. Between the schick and Gem feather weight is a shovel head (I think).

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Top down in the first pic

Schick type J
Gem 1912, I think
Gem Featherweight Deluxe.

All good shavers!!
Other information is.....DAMN! Great starter set. Between the schick and Gem feather weight is a shovel head (I think).
Actually it's a 1914 Ever Ready (aka "the Little Lather Catcher"). You can see the "Lift Here" words on each side of the top cap.

Flintstone65

Hey guys. I made my first SE acquisitions in a bundle of other DEs that I bought. Just wondering if you guys could provide me with any info on them. History or model, good shavers ect.
For some date and other info on the cased razor (Gem Featherweight Deluxe) and for the razor with the words "lift here" on the top cap (Every Ready 1914), you should check out this link: American Safety Razor Dating Chart

For more info on the Schick/Eversharp Type J razor, try this thread: Schick Type I and J injectors for dummies

As for the Rolls Razor, someone else will have to step in.

Flintstone65

I did a quick search on B&B for info on the Rolls: Rolls Razor

You did exceptionally well with your SE lot. The Featherweight and the ER-1914 are truly nice shavers. I would start with the Featherweight and then use the ER-1914 -- the FW is a touch milder. Both use the same type of Gem blades. And I have a Schick Type J and haven't tried it yet, but I've heard great things about it.

I did a quick search on B&B for info on the Rolls: Rolls Razor

You did exceptionally well with your SE lot. The Featherweight and the ER-1914 are truly nice shavers. I would start with the Featherweight and then use the ER-1914 -- the FW is a touch milder. Both use the same type of Gem blades. And I have a Schick Type J and haven't tried it yet, but I've heard great things about it.
I have a good supply of DE blades which is what I generally shave with. I have not used an SE yet. What are some good blades to get for these? Also the schick looks to take a different style of blade than the others.

Flintstone65

I have a good supply of DE blades which is what I generally shave with. I have not used an SE yet. What are some good blades to get for these? Also the schick looks to take a different style of blade than the others.
Yep, the Schick will take injector blades....I recommend the Schick Injector blades in a Yellow Package. You can find them on Amazon....or if you have a little privately owned pharmacy -- my very small town has one, and they carry the Schick Injectors in a Yellow Package. Some folks call them "Chicks"....short for Chinese Schicks (as they are made in China now). Here's what they look like:
SchickInjectorBlades.jpg
Oh and don't be put off by the price relative to DE blades, the shaves are generally better, and they last a long time -- most folks get well over 10 -- some easily approach 20.

As for the GEM blades, that's a bit trickier. I get my from Connaught Shaving in England (and I live in the U.S.); much like the Injector blades, they are cheaper if you get them in bulk, and that's my source (even with the cost of shipping), I find them relatively inexpensive. But since you're just starting out, I would try TryABlade.com -- basically you can get the Gem Stainless Steel PTFE coated blades (which is what I'd recommend), and you can also try some of the others (although I hated most of the other options). They have a sample pack of different GEM blades, but the others were so bad (except for the PTFE and Pal Blue blades), that they nearly turned me off of Single Edge razors.

Someone may have some other options, but the Schick ("Chicks") are a safe bet and not hideously expensive -- and the GEM SS PTFE blades are also not terribly expensive, and they also last 10 shaves (usually 15 shaves) for me.

Hope that helps, and stop by the Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday) thread. You'll find the razors you just picked up and a lot of devoted GEM and Ever-Ready users. For Schicks, I recommend the The Society of Injector Shavers -- again, you'll find lots of folks devoted to the Schicks there. I love both the Gem-style and Injector-style vintage razors, so you'll see me hang out at both places.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead

Ya done good! Whatever you paid the little Ever Ready 1914 is worth the whole batch in my opinion. Surprisingly lovely razors.

O.H.

Whatever you do, don't try utility/scraper blades in the SEs. They are the same format of blades, but are single facet, non-coated, not very sharp, and would turn you off trying to use SEs. :)

I use The Razor Blade Company to get my Personna Gem 3-facet coated blades from. I haven't heard of anyone preferring uncoated blades. A few like PAL carbon blades.

Flintstone65

Treet carbon blades give me a super close and soft shave with no issues, other than finding them.
I'd +1 this. I buy mine on Amazon....my only issue is that I can only get about 5 shaves from mine. And while I do thoroughly dry them -- I've also oiled them with mineral oil, tried putting on some frog lube, and washing with alcohol -- I ALWAYS get some rust on mine. It never touches the edge, but the non-beveled part of the blade does seem to rust no matter what I do. I don't believe the rust impacts my shave, it just annoys me. On the plus side, the Treets are smooth from the first shave to the last shave, as opposed to the GEM SS PTFE, where the first shave (and sometimes second) is VERY harsh. But like I said, I can get over 10 shaves with the SS PTFE blade, but I can only get 5 (max) from the Treet Carbons. But blade longevity definitely seems to be a YMMV thing, IME/IMO.

For the Injector, use the Chinese Schicks ONLY! DO NOT use the abhorrent Personnas or Ted Pellas! Dull as a rusty butter knife

Flintstone65

For the Injector, use the Chinese Schicks ONLY! DO NOT use the abhorrent Personnas or Ted Pellas! Dull as a rusty butter knife
I'm not sure I'd go quite as far as a "rusty butter knife" (although it is very descriptive), but I do agree that I would not start with the Personna's/Pella's. There is definitely an U-shaped distribution on the Personna blades....you either like 'em or you dislike (or perhaps even hate), and not many folks fall into the middle. I've only tried one and I'm currently in the "dislike" camp. But the Chinese Schicks generally get good marks from most folks, so I would start there.

Top Bottom