What's new

Looking for inexpensive matte facial mosturizer

I trying to find an inexpensive matte moisturizer to apply after shaving my face. I can get really dry patches especially in the winter. I would prefer something unscented and use alum as an aftershave. I currently use a cheap equate 16oz lotion at night and need something better for the daytime. It is shiny, seems to increase irritation, and redness.

So weird I came across this. I literally got this yesterday and love it so far. The scent of Italian Lemon and Japanese Green tea is very light but very nice as well.

Body shop.
proxy.php

I'm usually pretty cheap and $13 for 1.69 oz is pretty expensive for me. I ended up ordering a few different things to try.

NIVEA Men Express Absorption 3 in 1 Revitalizing Lotion 16.9 fl. oz. $5.33
Reviews I saw a couple reviews mention it being shiny and non-shiny after around 30 minute absorption time. I do need more body lotion so it isn't too big of a deal if it isn't matte. It is supposed to be lightly scented. Unfortunately, if it doesn't work, I can only find lotions and balms listed as matte that are several times the price.​

Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Hydrating Toner 16 fl. oz. $5.97
I've seen it mentioned many times about using witch hazel as an aftershave. It seems many dislike the scent, but it is supposed to fade fast.​

Equate Hydrating Cleanser, 12 Fl Oz $5.34
There are few reviews, but they say it seems to work. I wouldn't use it and the witch hazel near the same time since they are both cleansers.​

I’ve been using Eucerin Daily moisturizing for the past few days.
It’s not as “sticky” as my previous lotion; Gold Bond Mens Ultimate, which stayed “ tacky “ for quite a while.

I trying to find an inexpensive matte moisturizer to apply after shaving my face. I can get really dry patches especially in the winter. I would prefer something unscented and use alum as an aftershave.
I make my own "dry skin cure."

THE MIX:
4 parts Water
1 part Glycerin

Pure magic, and a little goes a very long way. :thumbsup:

I make my own "dry skin cure."

THE MIX:
4 parts Water
1 part Glycerin

Pure magic, and a little goes a very long way. :thumbsup:

I had tried a similar variant and the glycerin was too tacky for my skin unfortunately. It just got worse as the day went on. Excellent moisturizing but very tacky and made my skin shine like a mirror :001_07:

I had tried a similar variant and the glycerin was too tacky for my skin unfortunately. It just got worse as the day went on. Excellent moisturizing but very tacky and made my skin shine like a mirror :001_07:
How much were you using Nav? About a small coin size drop in the center of my palm does my complete face and the whisker growing part of my neck.

How much were you using Nav? About a small coin size drop in the center of my palm does my complete face and the whisker growing part of my neck.

I was using 6 drops for full face and neck.
The mix was 2 parts glycerin and 3 parts water. It started off feeling nice but after about an hour, it was bothering me so much as my face would feel so clammy that I'd have to wash it off.

I was using 6 drops for full face and neck.
The mix was 2 parts glycerin and 3 parts water. It started off feeling nice but after about an hour, it was bothering me so much as my face would feel so clammy that I'd have to wash it off.
For me that would be miles too strong, Nav. Your glycerin to water ratio is 1:1½ whereas mine is 1:4. I admit to having overdone it on occasions but that's easily remedied by simply rinsing... I'm fortunate in being able to tell immediately by feel if I've overdone it. (BTW, I always rinse the palms of my hands [i.e. the applicators] when I'm done.)

If you don't mind, I'd be interested to know how you find a weaker solution please. :001_smile

For me that would be miles too strong, Nav. Your glycerin to water ratio is 1:1½ whereas mine is 1:4. I admit to having overdone it on occasions but that's easily remedied by simply rinsing... I'm fortunate in being able to tell immediately by feel if I've overdone it. (BTW, I always rinse the palms of my hands [i.e. the applicators] when I'm done.)

If you don't mind, I'd be interested to know how you find a weaker solution please. :001_smile

I had made it slightly concentrated as I prefer to use drops rather than a coin worth of solution, mostly as I like to keep very small dropper bottles (10mL) in the bathroom.

Even thayers makes my face tacky due to the glycerin content in a water base. One thing I've noticed is that glycerin in a cream base is OK (in winter, not summer).

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I've been using Baxter Of California aftershave balm. It has a nice citrus scent that doesn't last long.

Top Bottom