What's new

Looking for help

I’m looking for information on Ingersoll electric razors. I have searched and searched and all I found was one at the Museum of American History - Smithsonian. Does anyone know anything about them? When made or sold? Why they stopped making them? I contacted Ingersoll, only to hear back they only handle watches, but I know they made a limited number of electric razors. I found an ad for them online from the 30’s, but nothing else. Thanks in advance for any information, even if you can just point me in the right direction!

Google books is a great source, even when you can only get snippet views. Through this, I found out it was introduced in late 1937, there was an advertising campaign in college alumni magazines in 1938, it was priced at $7.50 with a profit margin of 33%, and drug stores were a primary sales channel. By 1940 or so, it seems to have vanished without a trace. If you can find back issues of Consumers Reports, they reviewed it while it was out.

I’m looking for information on Ingersoll electric razors. I have searched and searched and all I found was one at the Museum of American History - Smithsonian. Does anyone know anything about them? When made or sold? Why they stopped making them? I contacted Ingersoll, only to hear back they only handle watches, but I know they made a limited number of electric razors. I found an ad for them online from the 30’s, but nothing else. Thanks in advance for any information, even if you can just point me in the right direction!

I happened to find one with original manual, box, and bag from a family member and was wondering would anyone venture a guess as to its worth/value? Thanks again

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
We are not allowed to do any form of appraisals on the forum. Your best bet would be to find an antique appraiser or a Charted Surveyor in your local area and they might be able to help you.

We are not allowed to do any form of appraisals on the forum. Your best bet would be to find an antique appraiser or a Charted Surveyor in your local area and they might be able to help you.
Ok thanks. I was just wondering and thought someone might have an idea of how rare they were. Thank you

The beast in question;:

proxy.php

Ingersoll as a company is of course still around, but as an innovation or one-of, lots of contemporary competition - Schick, Philips, Braun, Remington - so my unqualified impression is not particularly rare or valuable (money wise), but a great example (hence the museum status) of the technology at the time. An appropriate appraiser as mention could give you an idea (sort of a niche) of market value, but valuable historically as mentioned as an example of the craft, and certainly valuable to your family history perhaps.

The beast in question;:

proxy.php

Ingersoll as a company is of course still around, but as an innovation or one-of, lots of contemporary competition - Schick, Philips, Braun, Remington - so my unqualified impression is not particularly rare or valuable (money wise), but a great example (hence the museum status) of the technology at the time. An appropriate appraiser as mention could give you an idea (sort of a niche) of market value, but valuable historically as mentioned as an example of the craft, and certainly valuable to your family history perhaps.

As an aside, I did some period research and found that Remington recently brought back a modern cordless retro sort of "duplicate" of their popular Model 70 Dual Close electric of the 1930s/40s, but wet/dry and rechargeable. Sort of an homage I suppose, but originals can actually be found really cheap and in working order if you look hard (and get a good electrician or appraiser to inspect) - modern left, vintage right:

proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom