What's new

Looking for good modern razor

Has anyone here had issues with smell from a brass, bronze or copper razor? I love the look, but when I work with copper/brass I start to hate the smell pretty quick, and I really can't understand why you'd want a razor made from it (much less a flashlight or knife handle).

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have very little advice for you. I do want to thank you for starting this thread. You've gotten some interesting answers, answers interesting to me I mean.

I wonder what you like about the particular vintage razors you are keeping to shave with. With the adjustable razors what are your settings? Which NEW do you like, the SC or the LC?

I love my NEW SC. If I had to pick just one of my razors to use forever it would be the one, knowing what I know about it so far, and having the limited experience I have with most of the others. The NEW SC is extremely rigid. It has a small gap. It shaved me very well and very comfortably from the very first shave.

My modern razors and what I think about them? Understand this first.

BOSC R US.png

Feather AS-D2. Used a lot. Excellent quality. Stainless steel. Both mild and reasonably efficient. Blade alignment is perfect every time. If mild works for you this is a great razor!

(All razors I've used require, so far, multiple passes for me to get a decent DFS on my neck. I can get very close to BBS on my difficult neck with the NEW SC, but not with two passes or three.)

The ebarbershop Type O clone injector with Japanese TWIN blade. An excellent clone! Extremely well made. Very efficient. Said to be very non irritating once mastered. Not used much yet, so I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it, and getting closer. Definitely my most efficient razor. If I can get the non irritating part down it will maybe be perfect. Blades are expensive, but are said to last almost forever.

Schöne. Said to be almost as aggressive as a Fatip Grande. Very, very nice razor. Blade alignment requires fiddling with sometimes. Brass. Comfortable shave, probably because gap is almost non-existent. Not as efficient on my neck as I'd like, but still quiet efficient, and a great razor.

Fatip Gentile. Far more efficient than I first thought. Almost no gap, so very non-irritating, and comfortable. Very similar to the Schöne with the same blade alignment issues, but these should not be a deal breaker. An excellent razor.

Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant. Used once. Probably better than my first impression of it. Worth a try for sure.

Ikon X3. A very nice slant. Lacks rigidity. Close shaver. Fairly efficient, more so than most razors I've tried. It's lack of rigidity is a problem for me as I get irritations and razor burns very easily. It is aluminum of good quality, but I worry about aluminum threads holding up. If it were rigid I'd like it a whole lot more.

This entire post and this entire thread are something else.

Enablers R us.png

Buy them all!

I have in transit a SS Colonial General about which I hear great things. I have in hand a beautiful, new looking GEM G Bar I'm hot to try. Etc. But, you're asking about modern razors, and I've told you what I know about the ones I've used.

I have no idea what you should buy, and no other advice. I am myself in search of the perfect razor - very efficient, very well made, and absolutely comfortable - which I will ask to marry me and bear my children. Not that I plan to be faithful.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Honestly I have no idea which it is. Here is a picture. I like the availabilty at local stores for these gillettes. And I just love old stuff! Thanks everybody

Attachments

• 20170925_134233.jpg
    20170925_134233.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 36
Honestly I have no idea which it is. Here is a picture. I like the availabilty at local stores for these gillettes. And I just love old stuff! Thanks everybody
Setting 9 on my fatboy, and around 5 on my slim, which for some reason I just dont feel as comfortable with

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

You like its shave?

What Tech do you have? Pre war baseplate holes are long triangles. Post war, rounded, long rectangles. How does it shave for you? Do you like it? A lot? What do you not like?

Telling us about what you like and don't like about specific razors you've tried helps us give you better advice.

Consider the Parker Variant. It is adjustable, has good knurling and is nicely balanced. It can go from very mild to aggressive with a twist of the knob, and performs well with numerous blades. Lastly, it is a bargain at its price of approximately $57. For me, it can be my dessert island razor. And, of course, YMMV!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
And how many do have one or more bent teeth?
You're welcome to try and bend something on a Rockwell :)

I cant say I've seen a bent Fatip. Gillette OLD types, I've seen more straight ones than bent, but after 100 years we're all entitled to a couple crooked teeth ;)

Can I bend the base plate on a Rockwell so it will be a more rigid design? Didnt think so.:001_tt2:

You like its shave?

What Tech do you have? Pre war baseplate holes are long triangles. Post war, rounded, long rectangles. How does it shave for you? Do you like it? A lot? What do you not like?

Telling us about what you like and don't like about specific razors you've tried helps us give you better advice.
I do like its shave. Not much i dont like about it. My tech does not have triangle holes, and i feel like sometimes if Im not careful I will just push lather around rather than cutting

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I do like its shave. Not much i don't like about it.

So, this is the razor in the picture in post #44. You like its shave a lot, right?

My tech does not have triangle holes, and i feel like sometimes if I'm not careful I will just push lather around rather than cutting

You Gillette Tech sounds like a post-War Tech. They are mild. Do you like it?

If you get the angle right the Tech can shave well, but it is mild and might take several passes. I have a similar modern razor, the Feather AS-D2. I love it, but I like my more efficient NEW SC more (they are available, nice ones, one ebay for under $40, sometimes; look for straight teeth and handles without cracks).

I am a tad confused. Tell me again why you want a modern razor? What exactly do you want the modern razor to do? Especially, what do you want it to do that your vintage razors are not doing?

Also, if you could keep only one of your current razors and you had to shave with it for a year, could you pick one you know you could manage with? What would you dislike and like about shaving with that razor?

Do you want to mow down all your whiskers in one pass, if possible? How sensitive is your skin? How weird do the whiskers on your neck grow? Are your whiskers tough, coarse, thick? Do you shave every day? Do you want to own just one razor?

I am sorry to ask so many questions, but without this sort of information everybody is just going to tell you what they like in a modern razor.

I'm pretty sure you might like the vintage Gillette NEW SC, but its not modern, and I'm guessing.

So, this is the razor in the picture in post #44. You like its shave a lot, right?

If you get the angle right the Tech can shave well, but it is mild and might take several passes. I have a similar modern razor, the Feather AS-D2. I love it, but I like my more efficient NEW SC more (they are available, nice ones, one ebay for under $40, sometimes; look for straight teeth and handles without cracks).

I am a tad confused. Tell me again why you want a modern razor? What exactly do you want the modern razor to do? Especially, what do you want it to do that your vintage razors are not doing?

Also, if you could keep only one of your current razors and you had to shave with it for a year, could you pick one you know you could manage with? What would you dislike and like about shaving with that razor?

Do you want to mow down all your whiskers in one pass, if possible? How sensitive is your skin? How weird do the whiskers on your neck grow? Are your whiskers tough, coarse, thick? Do you shave every day? Do you want to own just one razor?

I am sorry to ask so many questions, but without this sort of information everybody is just going to tell you what they like in a modern razor.

I'm pretty sure you might like the vintage Gillette NEW SC, but its not modern, and I'm guessing.
I loke the tech but I do prefer sonething with a little more aggression. I would like to thin down my collection of razors to a few. I have never tried a modern de and want to. If I had to keep a current razor it would probably be my NEW lc or my slim adjustable. If possible I would like to mow them down in one pass yes! They arent particularly coarse. My neck whiskers grow wild, and is where all of my irritation is, if I have any. I do shave everyday. I like to be clean shaven. I would prefer a few different razors. 3-4. I like shaving with my New because I don't have to apply any pressure or go over sonething time and time again. Its just a great shaver for me, and does not cause me irritation really. I just want to find a modern that suits me well, I can get great shaves with and cures wanting to buy every old gillette I see lol.

Also thank you for helping out!

I've seen it mentioned before here, get the Timeless Bronze! At $120 for what it is is great. I prefer heavier razors and it is, its balance between handle and plate/cap is perfection. I was a bit concerned at first about the .38 gap but they tweaked the head geometry. It shaves as good as it looks and is probably the most efficient razor I own. It strikes the balance between efficiency and agression perfectly. For refrence I prefer mid agressive razors

I am comparing this to my Timeless .68 SB, my daily driver. I've owned ATT oc and solid bars, many Razorocks, Merkurs, iKons, etc, etc. Timeless just makes what I like and they shave as good as they look, nuff said

Last edited:
I have re-read this post several times and am a little confused by the OP.
I have all of the razors the OP shaves with.
In my experience there is a major difference between a NEW and a Fat Boy set at #9.
I like NEWs and techs and have never used my Fat Boy above #5. I don't even want to think about what #9 would do to my face.
If you like the NEW and tech shaves I would agree with others that have suggested the Timeless Bronze.
It is a beautiful well crafted razor that gives me an amazing shave. I am only 3 shaves in but I knew from the first shave that it was a keeper for me. The price was definitely reasonable.
If you like a Fat Boy at #9 I am pretty sure that you might be disappointed with it.
IMHO I think it would be prudent to keep shaving with what you have until you narrow down the shave experience you prefer. Of course I didn't do that and have a couple pricey razors sitting in boxes. Maybe in the future I will develop a taste for them or the will look pretty on display. A fairly expensive lesson in my judgement.
Good luck in the search!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I still don't quite understand what you're looking for, and suspect maybe you don't either. Not to worry, because figuring that out is not easy until you learn enough and have some experience. Not that I have enough of either, but I'm working on it, and making progress.

Have you considered the Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant? A lot of people like it. It is a very interesting razor. I am learning it myself.

It is about $20.

You might like the Schöne or the Fatip Gentile. Both are very nice razors. The 1st somewhat more aggressive than the 2nd. They are brass.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
And how many do have one or more bent teeth?
You're welcome to try and bend something on a Rockwell :)
Never had or seen any Fatips with bent teeth. I own six, and with a Joris, and a Schone eight. I also bought two more, a Grande and Piccolo, to gift. None of these ten Fatips that I've bought had bent teeth. I also own an Old Type, and two Gillette News, one Long Comb, and one Short Comb, all getting up to a hundred years old. All of them have straight teeth.

Rockwells lacks blade rigidity.

Last edited:
Never had or seen any Fatips with bent teeth. I own six, and with a Joris, and a Schone eight. I also bought two more, a Grande and Piccolo, to gift. None of these ten Fatips that I've bought had bent teeth. I also own an Old Type, and two Gillette News, one Long Comb, and one Short Comb, all getting up to a hundred years old. All of them have straight teeth.

Rockwells lacks blade rigidity.

But please, you have to admit that it's not very uncommon with old open combs where there's either one or more bent teeth, or a missing tooth? Please open your eyes. I have two myself with bent teeth, still usable but yet they are bent.
I'm not saying that a Fatip is a bad razor, but when it comes to longlivity the ss Rockwell will exceed the Fatip, I'm absolutely sure about that.
Never had any issues with blade rigidity on my Rockwell. Ymmv.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
But please, you have to admit that it's not very uncommon with old open combs where there's either one or more bent teeth, or a missing tooth? Please open your eyes. I have two myself with bent teeth, still usable but yet they are bent.
I'm not saying that a Fatip is a bad razor, but when it comes to longlivity the ss Rockwell will exceed the Fatip, I'm absolutely sure about that.
Never had any issues with blade rigidity on my Rockwell. Ymmv.
Who cares my Gillette's outlasted my Grandfather. My Fatips will out last me. Other than that it is a mine is bigger than yours, mine is bigger than yours, kind of thing. So what?

As for rigidity you are right it is a mileage may vary thing. If you have a tough old facial hair it matters. If not it doesn't.

Top Bottom