What's new

Looking for good modern razor

Might be a little over the $100 mark but for that price range I'd say go for one of the ATT Aluminium calypso range much less than the SS

I'm a fan of the Razorock razors. Especially the Old Type and the SLAB. I also have their Mentor and German 37 slant.

Here's some pics of the Old Type, Mentor and SLAB.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-S978L using Tapatalk

One of my favorite modern razors is the RR Ti Baby Smooth. I believe these are out of stock, but understand the Aluminum version shaves the same, is in stock, and is $60 less selling for $40. If in fact the Aluminum does performs the same as the Titanium, the Aluminum is a steal. I have a few higher end razors - Wolfman, Timeless, Blackbird, Charcoal, Oneblade, Asylum Evolution, and Wunderbar. The Ti Baby Smooth is very comfortable, efficient, and it’s shaving experience compares favorably to the others. I highly recommend it.
Steve

If you like vintage gillettes you should strongly consider feather. Bit over $100 Try to find a good used unit should come out under $150 pretty easily

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Some recent modern DE razors that have impressed me compared to my Gillettes.

RazoRock Old Type. Absolutely amazing razor.

Fatip Grande and Piccolo. Great shaves and almost as nice as the RR Old Type.

The Feather Popular. Shaves way above it's price point.

Weishi 9306. Another razor that shaves way above its weight class.

RazoRock Mamba. Pretty, steel, efficient, $50.00. What's not to like.

Feather AS-D2. Nice but not better than a Tech.

ATT M1, R2 and S2. The first is a mild full bar, the second an open comb medium, just slightly more efficient than my Gillettes and the last is an open comb slant head that is really really nice. I generally buy the heads and mate with handles I've accumulated over the decades.

My daily driver is a Wolfman WR1. This took awhile to get but it is a terrific shaver and a work of art IMO.

Buy a Fatip. You'll be glad you did and you can save a lot of money at the same time!

Fatip Piccolo

Fatip Grande gave me an amazing shave my first time out.

I'm going to suggest a Fatip as well. Not only is it priced well within your range, it will complement your existing arsenal. And with the savings, pick up a Weishi TTO in any finish you like best. These are nice, dependable, mild, shavers for any time you need a drama free cleanup.

... Or get a Rockwell 6s and you've got an adjustable with 6 different baseplates, also within budget, and it will last forever. The weishi or fatip won't. Drop one of them in the sink or on the floor and there's a risk of bending something. With the Rockwell in stainless steel I'm pretty sure you just pick it up again without a scratch.
I do see your point in saving money, but those savings is in fact nothing if you think about the lifetime of it.
If money is that important, then maybe think about a Rockwell 6c instead? Made of zamak with chrome plating instead of ss, other than that it's pretty much the same, but half the price at 50$
I would go for ss anyway, simply because I love the durability and that it's made in USA :)

Rockwell Razors - Adjustable Razors and 10 Cent Razor Blades

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Or get a Rockwell 6s and you've got an adjustable with 6 different baseplates, also within budget, and it will last forever. The weishi or fatip won't.

Fatip razors are solid Brass. The same as 100+ year old Gillette Single Rings. How many of them are still in use?

Where did this $100 come from, OP said around $100, so that's $99-199 right ?? :D :D :D

Merkur Progress is a great shaver if you are looking to stay below $100, I just find it a bit slippery and that plastic piece I could live without. I agree with others, though I haven't tried it myself, Rockwell is hard to ignore giving you same flexibility as Progress, but stainless steel design.

I still say "go big" and get Timeless, like I said in my previous post, but there are tons of great razors within your budget.

Top Bottom