What's new

Looking for first set of stones

Are there any naniwa gurus on youtube that I should follow? I found Lynn Abrams wich seems very knowledgeable, anyone else?

I've found very mixed messages in regards of soaking, some say don't soak, some say they are more consistent if soaked. I've even heard of people having their combo stones fall apart if soaked etc. I'll probably do splash and go, what's your take on it guys?

So I had my first go with the stones, lapping went well under running water, got them all even.

I started with my 5$ gold dollar straight from Aliexpress, wich I obviously don't care about. That didn't work, that one is in bad need of a bevel setting. Wich is a later project.

I moved on to my PIF'ed Wilbert Cutlery straight, that was honed by someone far more knowledgeable than me. Did 25-30 straight strokes on the 3000 side, and about as many on the 8000 side. My arm became very smooth after the honing, unfortunately I shaved this morning so it will have to wait with the test shave.

Are there any naniwa gurus on youtube that I should follow? I found Lynn Abrams wich seems very knowledgeable, anyone else?

I've found very mixed messages in regards of soaking, some say don't soak, some say they are more consistent if soaked. I've even heard of people having their combo stones fall apart if soaked etc. I'll probably do splash and go, what's your take on it guys?
Lookup gsixxgun Naniwa honing.
I'm not sure about soaking them though?

I've been using just splash and go, and squeegeeing the stone dry as soon as I stop honing, even if it's just a pause to look at the edge under a microscope or something. I've had better luck keeping the stones flat since I started doing this. Use a straight edge to see what works best for you. The SS and SP stones are not very stable IME when they start absorbing water and they also move around quite a bit while they are drying if they have absorbed much water. YMMV

Thought I'd give a bit of an update, a success story so to speak.

I had been watching Lynn Abrams videos for a bit and was eager to go honing. I however, did not do as few strokes as he does on his videos about refreshing the edge.

First honing: I think I did around 30-40 strokes on the 3k side, and about as many on the 8k side. The razor did put a very bald spot on my arm, but it couldn't cut any hairs if raising the edge above the skin.

First shave: I had shaved the same day before my first honing session, and went away for a week the day after. I forgot ALL of my gear for my holiday, so the test shave was on 7-8 days worth of growth. Not an ideal situation to try my honing skills in... I wasn't impressed, it did the job but felt very harsh.

Second honing: After the first shave I decided I need to go back to the hones. While honing it felt much better, like I scored a better angle or something. Did 20 strokes on the 3k side and 20-30 strokes on the 8k side.

Second shave: Probably my best straight razor shave yet. Absolutley no irritation what so ever, almost BBS (not really going for BBS but when it happens it's nice). The only remark I had is that it still felt a bit harsh, might be my technique or that the previous owner who honed it for me the first time used a polishing stone.

Third shave: Basically an exact replica of the second shave.

I'm kind of curious, how is it possible to get a very nice shaving edge the second time you hone? Ever? I was dead certain that this will skill will take months to develop, I'm almost a bit dissapointed. (Do note that I am in no way saying that I'm any good at honing, I still have a very long way to go, but the edge that I maintained worked perfectly for me)

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Thought I'd give a bit of an update, a success story so to speak.

I had been watching Lynn Abrams videos for a bit and was eager to go honing. I however, did not do as few strokes as he does on his videos about refreshing the edge.

First honing: I think I did around 30-40 strokes on the 3k side, and about as many on the 8k side. The razor did put a very bald spot on my arm, but it couldn't cut any hairs if raising the edge above the skin.

First shave: I had shaved the same day before my first honing session, and went away for a week the day after. I forgot ALL of my gear for my holiday, so the test shave was on 7-8 days worth of growth. Not an ideal situation to try my honing skills in... I wasn't impressed, it did the job but felt very harsh.

Second honing: After the first shave I decided I need to go back to the hones. While honing it felt much better, like I scored a better angle or something. Did 20 strokes on the 3k side and 20-30 strokes on the 8k side.

Second shave: Probably my best straight razor shave yet. Absolutley no irritation what so ever, almost BBS (not really going for BBS but when it happens it's nice). The only remark I had is that it still felt a bit harsh, might be my technique or that the previous owner who honed it for me the first time used a polishing stone.

Third shave: Basically an exact replica of the second shave.

I'm kind of curious, how is it possible to get a very nice shaving edge the second time you hone? Ever? I was dead certain that this will skill will take months to develop, I'm almost a bit dissapointed. (Do note that I am in no way saying that I'm any good at honing, I still have a very long way to go, but the edge that I maintained worked perfectly for me)

Congratulations on your success!

Its not really that unusual. Honing, especially on synthetic stones or lapping film, is not rocket science. If you have read a bit on how its done, it is fairly normal to be getting usable edges by your second or third attempt. Some guys get a shaving edge on their first attempt. Pretty soon, if you really apply yourself, your edges will amaze you. Especially when you have a better finisher than the 8k.Keep at it, and keep refining your technique. Pay attention to the feedback from the stone. Don't worry so much about counting laps. Good Luck, and Happy Shaves.

Gents, quick question that I hope someone here can help me with...

I want to try out honing, but am on a very tight budget. I saw AliExpress sells stones 1k, 3k/8k and also 12k. Of course quality should a lot inferior, but would it be a start for me? I mean, perhaps not for my TI razor, but I would even but one from AE as well to have fun with.

Or.... would those stones be that bad that I am better off by keeping quiet? :eek2:

You Get What You Pay For.

I'd stay away from those "7 piece set for $39,99". IMHO it's junk, as the advertised grit is nowhere near it.

If you don't have the budget for decent stones, lapping film is your best bet and (arguably) it gives great results.

Fair enough.

I have been reading a lot in the forum, about the lapping films. They do seem to be a great solution for what I am looking for.

I already found a few kits online in Europe, but would love to get any kind of recommendation from anyone that actually bought and is happy with their purchase.

Besides the kit of films, the only thing I believe is needed is an extremely flat surface, like a floor tile or piece of glass. Here I get petrified, how to ensure any surface of that kind is really flat as needed? Perhaps glass easier because it would show more easily if it would not be perfectly flat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fair enough.

I have been reading a lot in the forum, about the lapping films. They do seem to be a great solution for what I am looking for.

I already found a few kits online in Europe, but would love to get any kind of recommendation from anyone that actually bought and is happy with their purchase.

Besides the kit of films, the only thing I believe is needed is an extremely flat surface, like a floor tile or piece of glass. Here I get petrified, how to ensure any surface of that kind is really flat as needed? Perhaps glass easier because it would show more easily if it would not be perfectly flat?

Look I'm no expert, but where I live, I can go to a glass shop and have a custom piece of glass cut to any size, shape and form, choosing the level of temper, etc. And it cost about €10 or so... it's glass, so it doesn't get flatter than than :cool: . Then simply plaster the film onto it and you're all set.

In any case, I'd consult @Slash McCoy , he's an expert on films and a honemeister.

So.... I am finally ready to pull the trigger.

And

Does it look good? Also, would like to buy a rather cheap blade to play with, perhaps not too bad but at least close to be ready to shave. Not sure, would any Gold Dollar from eBay do? Or any other suggestion?

Top Bottom