What's new

Looking for first set of stones

Thanks ChiTownShaver! caleb31 can you confirm that that is the set you're using?

So I've been set on using synthetic stones, but that price is very good. How do synthetics differ from natural/arkansas stones?

I've understood that natural stones don't use any gritnumbers, will I get a good edge from this set alone or would I need a fourth finishing stone on top of this?

Will I still need a lapping stone etc?

There is some oil that comes with the pack, do you use that instead of water or can you use both?

Lots of questions, thanks in advance!

How do synthetics differ from natural/arkansas stones?

From my limited experience with Naniwa SPs, coticules and Jnats, I can say that synthetic edges cut the flesh much more easily than the natural ones. Also synths feel harsher on my face.

My natural edges behave like they do know how to differentiate skin from hair. It's a huge plus for a beginner IMO. It's a more pleasant experience to shave with naturals, also.

But getting consistent honing results with naturals may be difficult at the beginning. Synths behave much more deterministic in my newbie hands.

That sounds good. My OCD brain is trying to wrap itself around the lack of gritnumbers though, hehe. But for 40$ I'm sure it's worth a try. If it doesn't work out I can always go synthetic afterwards.

Been reading about the Arkansas stones, and yeah the price is very appealing. But I'm thinking synthetic is the way to go for a rookie like me.

Been checking different online vendors but havn't found a one stop shop yet. Does anyone know a vendor that carries the DMT325, Norton 4k/8k and a Chinese 12k? I reckon that setup will get me going.

Anyone have any experience with theperfectedge.com ?

I got offered a used norton with a chipped corner and a 3M diamond hone (don't really know what this is) for a bargain.

I use norton 4/8k and I have a King 1k. The king 1k is about 15$ or less on amazon. Can't bet it. I get really nice shaves off 8 k. It always gives a consistent edge. Many shave off the 8k. You don't have to spend all the money on a chosera. If you have the money, then by all means. They are the best, but the king 1k is more than enough. there's alot to think about. It can be very overwhelming, just enjoy it.

Last edited:
I use norton 4/8k and I have a King 1k. The king 1k is about 15$ or less on amazon. Can't bet it. I get really nice shaves off 8 k. It always gives a consistent edge. Many shave off the 8k. You don't have to spend all the money on a chosera. If you have the money, then by all means. They are the best, but the king 1k is more than enough. there's alot to think about. It can be very overwhelming, just enjoy it.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated. I'm not really looking at Naniwa stones, they are too pricy for me.

Anyone have any experience with theperfectedge.com ?

I got offered a used norton with a chipped corner and a 3M diamond hone (don't really know what this is) for a bargain.

I bought a coti from them about 2 years ago - they fullfilled the order without any issues.
Of course that is only my experience,
br,
ToM

Here is what I have, it works very good:

For bevel setting:
King® combination stone grit 1000/6000
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0034YZYG4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

For the rest of the progression:
WELSH SLATE TRI SHARPENING STONE SET
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WELSH-SLA...T-3-HONES-RAZOR-HONE-IDEAL-GIFT-/171219350411

The Welsh stones are quite good, but the shipment may be a bit much, but since you are in the EU, that should not be much of a problem.

Cheers

even with shipping to the US....I could get the Welsh stones and the King stone shipped for about $110...seems reasonable to me...

there is just so much to consider when it comes to honing...it's definitely something I want to do, it's just that I want to try to choose stones from the beginning that will work well for some time to come.

I didn't get around to it for a very long time, without no reason really.

But the other day I ordered a Naniwa 3k/8k combo stone, an Atoma 400 lapping plate and of course a stone holder.

Hopefully I'll receive the stones this week :)

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If you only have one razor to hone, then sandpaper and lapping film is most definitely the cost effective way to go. Great edges, easy to learn, and no expensive up front cost. Synthetic stones really only make sense if you are honing a couple times a week or more. See http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/283576-Lapping-film-try-it?highlight=lapping+film+try+it and read at least the first 20 or 30 pages.

The new Norton 4k/8k stones are getting some pretty shaky reviews. Its a shame, because a 4/8k and a bevel setter made a decent kit in years gone by, for a fair price.

A finisher is not absolutely necessary after 8k if you truly learn to use an 8k. But is is awful nice. But again, film is the real answer here.

Top Bottom