What's new

Looking for fellow Canadians

Checking in from North Vancouver! Once this COVID stuff blows over (it already blows goats) I am into a meetup. Good health to all!

Has anyone found a decent source for GEM blades in Canada ? I've been looking a little bit, not a lot, however have not had much success. I found some from the USA at bullgooseshaving.com, it's qty 100 for $25 USD which is acceptable, however "international shipping" is another $15.70 which I find is a bit... silly. Or are people simply using industrial ones like from American Line etc. , Amazon.ca has a number of those, but typically carbon steel not stainless steel.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Greetings! I grew up in southern Ontario, but have lived in southern BC for 30 years now. Good luck on your venture, hope it works out. 🇨🇦

Also found some at a shop out of BC called Copper Hat Shaving, might go with them. QTY 5 for 4$ and 5$ shipping, so no exchange rate and no surprise fees crossing the border. 100 would be (carry the 1, subtract the 0...) $85 CAD plus taxes vs $40 USD plus taxes an unknown brokerage fees etc when crossing the border. $40 USD is ~54$ CAD, credit card will put an exchange fee on top of that, decisions...

Has anyone found a decent source for GEM blades in Canada ? I've been looking a little bit, not a lot, however have not had much success. I found some from the USA at bullgooseshaving.com, it's qty 100 for $25 USD which is acceptable, however "international shipping" is another $15.70 which I find is a bit... silly. Or are people simply using industrial ones like from American Line etc. , Amazon.ca has a number of those, but typically carbon steel not stainless steel.

When I ordered some a few years ago, the best price with shipping was from Connaught in the UK. Had 100 blades for $27 CDN.

The service was quick, and I have been happy with them. Now it was a few years ago, and with the pandemic I do not know how shipping would be affected.

Also found some at a shop out of BC called Copper Hat Shaving, might go with them. QTY 5 for 4$ and 5$ shipping, so no exchange rate and no surprise fees crossing the border. 100 would be (carry the 1, subtract the 0...) $85 CAD plus taxes vs $40 USD plus taxes an unknown brokerage fees etc when crossing the border. $40 USD is ~54$ CAD, credit card will put an exchange fee on top of that, decisions...
Their Coastal Fair is my favourite soap.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
[hand up]

Canadian, aye. Up the North Thompson valley north of Kamloops. Black Pines isn't on the map, but Vinsulla across the river (and smaller) is.

Or, to explain for the Lower Mainlanders, "beyond Hope."

About 200 km beyond.

O.H.

EVENTUALLY I'll be settling in the Cornwall/Charlottetown PEI area

My permanent residency application was submitted in September 2020 and I've been working with the PEI immigration office to get a work permit finalized

We are hoping to hear soon on a date in the spring time

My wife was born in Picton, ON and my girls are dual citizens as well so they are all good to go

I have a job lined up just waiting on the paperwork - it seems there's always one more step or some hiccup

Can't wait to drive across the Confederation Bridge to our home "cradled out in the waves"

Regina. Shaving desert.

Go Riders!

We got hooked on CFL via Corner Gas - and obviously they are Riders fans.

Still hoping the Atlantic Schooners make it to the field eventually (not looking great right now) - otherwise it'll be about a 12 hour drive to see a game in Montreal!

LOL - that reminds me...we live in Virginia now. We were planning to visit Toronto/Ontario last summer before COVID hit. It's about a 10 hour drive from VA. It's more like 17 hours from PEI!

Nice! I only saw Stompin Tom once but it was awesome
EVENTUALLY I'll be settling in the Cornwall/Charlottetown PEI area

My permanent residency application was submitted in September 2020 and I've been working with the PEI immigration office to get a work permit finalized

We are hoping to hear soon on a date in the spring time

My wife was born in Picton, ON and my girls are dual citizens as well so they are all good to go

I have a job lined up just waiting on the paperwork - it seems there's always one more step or some hiccup

Can't wait to drive across the Confederation Bridge to our home "cradled out in the waves"

Ok speaking of/to other Canadians, where is everyone getting their supplies from. I’d like to avoid Amazon when possible. I have an order waiting to be fulfilled at Fendrihand, and plenty of things in my wish list at Italian Barber (just don’t need another razor right now. Want maybe...)
I’m also dealing with the usual UPS nightmares with a Shave Nation order. I don’t normally order from vendors who use UPS (years of nightmares) but took a chance and got stung.
I often buy from US vendors and make a quick trip to my P.O. Box across the border but with covid...
well, ya know.

Amazon.ca for blades generally (thru Wish4Blades and RazorBladesClub). Soaps and most other shaving stuff thru Top of the Chain, Fendrihan and Italian Barber. Amazon.com for cheap Simpsons brushes thru Alrossa.

I can’t access my PO Box across the border, so everything has shipped to me east of Toronto since March.

Top Bottom