What's new

Looking for fellow Canadians

i bought a shirt for my OL on Etsy for $7. We’ll customs randomly decided it was worth over $100 and charged me over $30 in duties. I disputed and won but it took several weeks
EDIT: I’ve been told by postal employees and I think customs agents that once the land border opens up they’re gonna be looking to make up for all the lost revenue since it closed. Don’t know how true that is but we’ll see. Once it opens I’m off! Visit friends and pick up dozens of packages at my P.O. Box including three razors
Just a heads up, from our previous conversation above about customs / duties and CP hadn’t been charging them, probably because they were so overwhelmed the last year. Well, my wife received two packages this past week with the USPS economy shipping from the US, the one that takes like a month and she got hit with customs / duties on both. Neither were expensive, one’s value was $80 and other was $30. It wasn’t a ton of money but just a heads up incase you make big purchases, it may make it through but you may get stung.

Last edited:
I have been so lucky with customs this year. I haven’t been dinged once and I have had more than a few packages received from the UK, Spain, Turkey, USA and Morocco.

Even my custom Simpsons Chubby 2 slipped thru last week with no charges. I was expecting to get bent for up to $100 on that one as it was a very expensive brush.

Once the border opens, I will have access to my PO Box across the border. 👍

So in regards to the customs that my wife got dinged with recently, I was curious as to why those 2 packages and not the others. Those 2 packages that I had to pay Customs on came through Customs in Vancouver (the only packages that have come through Vancouver), all the rest of the packages we’ve received that I haven’t had to pay Customs on have come through Mississauga. So as long as you gents in the east don’t order anything from the west coast, you should still be in the clear for now

So in regards to the customs that my wife got dinged with recently, I was curious as to why those 2 packages and not the others. Those 2 packages that I had to pay Customs on came through Customs in Vancouver (the only packages that have come through Vancouver), all the rest of the packages we’ve received that I haven’t had to pay Customs on have come through Mississauga. So as long as you gents in the east don’t order anything from the west coast, you should still be in the clear for now
Ahhhh.... All of mine have came thru Mississauga. Values were properly declared on a few of them in the $100-200 range also.

The Simpson brush was thru FedEx, but the value on the paperwork was hard to read and looked like £5. I likely just got lucky on that one.

Ahhhh.... All of mine have came thru Mississauga. Values were properly declared on a few of them in the $100-200 range also.

The Simpson brush was thru FedEx, but the value on the paperwork was hard to read and looked like £5. I likely just got lucky on that one.

Wow, that is lucky to get through unscathed with a courier like Fed Ex 👍 Always nice to a little unexpected luck on our side when we don’t expect it

linty1

My wallet cries.
Did you just email him via his top of the chain email? And agreed, I understand why duties and taxes exist, but its tough to get anything when it doubles the price of the item. Oh and its in US dollars.

Also I dislike ebay's "Global Shipping program" for the exact same reason.

I sent him an email, fingers crossed. Looking to get one of those Stirling finest brushes, they get such a good rep.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Update: got an email back saying "shouldn't be an issue, try my best". I offered to prepay for it but it didn't come up. I guess now we just wait. *shrug*

Top Bottom