What's new

Looking for Fellow Albertans

Are you guys able to lead me in the direction of cleaning this up?

I usually soak them in hot water and dawn for 15 minutes then clean with a toothbrush. Then spray with scrubbing bubbles and let it sit 5-15 minutes then toothbrush scrub. Then let it dry overnight and use a microfiber cloth and something like peek or flitz as needed. Should clean up nicely just don’t polish the plating off with power tools and you will have a good looking razor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favorite is first Canadian barbershop taper fade now just called barbershop. Scent and performance just hit a sweet spot. But performance you can’t go wrong with Tallow + Steel, Barrister and Mann, Wholly Kaw donkey milk, Panna Crema Nuavia, Like Granpa (made in Edmonton), Midnight & Two (Calgary). Would be some of my top soap brands. But I haven’t found a soap that I dislike some are a bit better and some just smell great use what works (all of it gets the job done)

Somewhere over 200 closer to 250, like I said a rabbit hole

WOW, I would like to spend a day in your shave den just smelling all the different soaps :laugh: max level on the jealousy scale. How many razors and brushes do you have as well?

WOW, I would like to spend a day in your shave den just smelling all the different soaps :laugh: max level on the jealousy scale. How many razors and brushes do you have as well?

Shaving buddy says I have 93 razors and 32 brushes, there’s a few I haven’t logged kicking around but that’s most of them

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Just driving through (the thread) from Ontario. :)

Are you guys able to lead me in the direction of cleaning this up?

Do not use any polishing compounds or harsh chemicals on gold razors. See my post below on my 1940 Gillette Regent Tech. It was gold...

Opinions Wanted on Restoration

The vintage Gillettes used a gold 'wash'. Thats not to be confused with a gold electroplating and is far more thin and fragile. I watched it disappear from my Regent in about 5 seconds.

Soak in hot water and Dawn. Brush gently with an old soft toothbrush. Repeat as necessary. Boil the water, but dont boil the razor.

I've ordered from Jon too. Nice guy and a nice couple.

Premium Beard, Wet-Shaving, Pomades, and Men's Grooming Products

Shaving buddy says I have 93 razors and 32 brushes, there’s a few I haven’t logged kicking around but that’s most of them

81410839839c3e63de0c969215f8fd39.png

lol

Just driving through (the thread) from Ontario. :)

Thanks for the advice Esox, I was wondering myself about using scrubbing bubbles on a gold plate. I have been trying to find a video on youtube about this I saw a few months ago that someone had ruined a gold plated razor, but couldn't find it.

Both these razors have had the scrubbing bubbles treatment. The danger is with the polish if there is any abrasive in it
proxy.php

From what I have read on B&B have been mixed reviews, more have had success, and a few have had disastrous results. There seems to talk about Gillette has put a layer of lacquer to protect the gold, and if this layer has worn off the SB could have harmful results. That being said it seems like people have had good luck with it. I think the trick is to only leave it on for a few seconds only and thoroughly rinse the razor. If you use a polish, Razor Emporium uses Flitz LQ 04535 Green Metal, Plastic and Fiberglass Polish Liquid - 3.4 oz. Bottle to polish the razor sent to them for fixing. "https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0000AXNJS...&colid=5W4IDGPO6QI&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it"
Try watching this video
As with anything do your reseach.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks for the advice Esox, I was wondering myself about using scrubbing bubbles on a gold plate.

That shouldnt hurt it, but the thing with the gold wash on Gillette razors is they have a varnish over the gold to protect it. Once that varnish is gone, the very thin gold wash is exposed.

See my NIB Gillette NEW LC. Notice the red varnish between the teeth and around the ball end of the handle.

IMG_1122.JPG

IMG_1124.JPG

That same varnish is over the entire razor and once cleaned off, you'd notice the gold looking brighter.

Its because of that I suggest only cleaning the gold vintage Gillettes as gently as possible. Once the gold wash does start to go, the rest can quickly follow.

I lived in Edmonton for a year then moved south to the booming metropolis of Warner AB lol.

Downtown Warner AB 1982 lol.

Warner Alberta 1982.JPG

I looked at my supplies and I have five Preshaves (four oils and one cream), six aftershaves (three splashes and three balms), fourteen lathers (twelve soaps and two creams), sixteen brushes (eight customs and eight brand names), and lastly fifteen razors (eight for show, six are in my rotation, and one is on order). O and also I have used 17 different types of DE blades. My top five favorites from #1 down are, Polsilver Super Iridium, BIC Chrome Platinum, Rockwell, Voskhod Teflon coated and lastly Feather Hi-Stainless.

I soaked it in Dawn and didn’t do much. I’ll buy some scrubbing bubbles tomorrow. Probably a waste of time who knows. Shaved nice though!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I soaked it in Dawn and didn’t do much. I’ll buy some scrubbing bubbles tomorrow. Probably a waste of time who knows. Shaved nice though!

What I do is fill a margarine tub or something with enough water to submerge the razor in and put it in the microwave until its boiling or nearly. Take it out, a squirt of Dawn and a gentle stir with a spoon to mix the soap and water but not make bubbles, then drop the razor in. Let it soak until the water cools the take it out, tub back in the microwave and scrub the razor with a toothbrush.

Repeat as often as needed. It will gleam as best it can in time, but who knows how many cycles it will take.

If it was Nickle it would be different. See my D2 Tech below.

This is after polishing with Autosol. I was afraid if I polished it any further I'd remove the frosted finish from it.

IMG_1359.jpg

This is literally after a 5 second scrub with my thumb and Bar Keepers Friend.

IMG_1607.JPG

Bar Keepers Friend, when water is added to it turns into Oxalic acid. Its a very powerful cleaner, but it dissolves gold on contact. $2 at Canadian Tire or Home Hardware. Nothing cleans stainless better.

BKF is mildly abrasive, but thats not what does the work.

Lol won’t try that then!
Sorry that happened to you. I’ll try dawn again when I’m off. Really considering buying another one just not sure which yet. I’m thinking Karve or slim Gillette adj

Top Bottom