What's new

Looking for feedback from Omega S-brush owners

I'm looking into getting a couple of synthetics.

One of the candidates seem to be the Omega S-series that are very affordable and seem to be getting excellent reviews, better than the higher priced HI-series from Omega.

I'd like to hear from those that own S series brushes what are the pros/cons and how would you rate the performance in:

1. Bowl lathering
2. Face lathering
3. Hard soaps
4. Soft soaps/creams.

Photos always welcome :)

As you may have already read through the forum the Brush Omega S-Series do have some good ratings on the reviews and usually work well, for me I have no problem making the lather in any of the situations you ask from 1 to 4, but it is as in everything from shaving, each case is a case and each person has their preferences ;)

I have the S10065 boar synth. It has a lot of backbone, good for hard soaps, but that same firmness throws a lot of soap on my mirror when I face lather. Fair amount of loft, which is good when bowl lathering.

They're cheap. Get one.

I have red S-10018, great little brush, very versatile, for me very good on face and in a bowl, however definitely easier to load softer soap then a hard one. I use it on my Proraso soaps and all creams. Beware there are also bigger S-brushes, S-10049 for example. Its a bigger knot then S-10018, and people say its miles apart from it. Much stiffer, harder and all in all, not as pleasant. Mind you, I have not tried it, that's what I've heard. For a smaller one, all recommendations, can't go wrong for 5$.

Послато са Redmi Note 3 уз помоћ Тапатока

I had an Omega S that worked essentially as well as my other modern synthetic brushes. I PIF’d it to my son, however, as it felt like a toy in my hand. For a few dollars more, you can get a monstrous Tuxedo knot in a Yaqi handle, which feels like a substantive tool in my hand.

The S-brush is amazingly soft and feels terrific on my skin. It lacks backbone, but not enough to put it at a disadvantage. See, it lathers extremely well. Creams will lather instantly on your skin and almost as quickly in a bowl. Soft soaps lather very quickly right on the puck and a loaded S-brush will explode once you swirl it on your face. I initially thought it would not lather hard soaps well but then I put it up against three hard soaps and they all lathered perfectly fine. I think this is because it holds water differently from other synthetics. Lots of synthetics suck the water up into the knot and hide it until you splay it (then it dumps). The S-brush seems to hold water evenly throughout itself. Anyway, just my observations. For the price, you'll be very happy with it. I aim to order a larger one soon.

Great brush, lathers well with decent backbone and splay. Its is a small brush so it would make a good travel brush or daily user if you like it.

Great brush, lathers well with decent backbone and splay. Its is a small brush so it would make a good travel brush or daily user if you like it.
Yes, I forgot to mention how light it is and if I start reaching for this little guy for more than a few days in a row (usually because I'm in a hurry and just want no-fuss lather) then I start to question why I even have other brushes. That's not healthy for my Shaving Brush AD :)

Thank you all for your feedback.
I already own the boar versions of 49 and 10019.
I also have a Yaqi on the way.
@Gordak gave some great feedback on the small Omega, but I don't think I'd want 2 variants of the same brush (although it's looking great and my boar version was under 5€..).
I ordered the S10108, it's rather large (almost 13cm!) but I have faith in Omega. I might end up getting a smaller one depending on how I like it.
I'll report back when it arrives.

S Brushes aren't bad, but I think the newer style knots are much better. You can get one of the tuxedo style knots from Yaqi for around the same price, and it's a much better brush.

I have a couple S-brushes. They’re alright. The Hi-Brush (my opinion) has a better feel, creates a better lather, is just all around a better brush. They also come in a way better selection of handles. Think I said “better” enough? My favorite......

17E9312A-AF3D-4C25-89AE-D51987BB0887.jpeg

@Acmemfg thank you for this. I steered away from the Hi series because most people seem to dislike them. I'll definitely take another look.

S Brushes aren't bad, but I think the newer style knots are much better. You can get one of the tuxedo style knots from Yaqi for around the same price, and it's a much better brush.

I have a Yaqi tuxedo. Why do you think it is better that an Omega S-line?

I have a Yaqi tuxedo. Why do you think it is better that an Omega S-line?
Softer tips. I started my synthetic BAD with an S brush that was PIF'd to me here. It was far better than the boars I had been using, but compared to the newer synthetics available now, the tips were quite pokey.

I think they hold water and release lather a bit better, too.

I recently got two Omega S Brush'es, black handled big one and blue handled small one, both are nice, but I personally like the smaller one because I feel its a bit softer on my skin. Here is a video where I have used the smaller one of the two:

I have had two Omega synths from trades and the loft is too much for me. Don't like the splay either, I only face lather, removing the knot as I send this

Top Bottom