What's new

Looking for Drip Coffee Maker with Steeping feature available

Hi everyone. If I could please get the benefit of your collective vast knowledge, I would greatly appreciate it. I have a Bonavita ceramic dripper (older version with the lever release) and the handle has broken, as is the weakness of this dripper. If I can't get a replacement lever, I'm going to get a new drip machine. I really like my coffee to be able to bloom and then steep for awhile before going into the cup/carafe. Are there any electric drip machines that you know of with this feature? It looks to me like the Moccamaster has a manual feature on some of their models where you can delay the drip into the carafe, but you must be vigilant to be sure you open the lever on the basket lest you overflow it. Is this as close as I'm going to get to what I want?

Another question on the Moccamaster. I have read from some of the posts here on the forum that there are some fiddly parts that you must take off/insert back before you brew a pot. As my spousal unit will sometimes be using it, and as she is not the patient type (wants to load coffee and water and turn it on and coffee comes out in a reasonable amount of time), is the Moccamaster a bit too complicated for someone like her?

Anything else you might want to opine on about the Moccamaster or any other high-end drip machine would be appreciated. I'm prepared to spend up the the amount of the Moccamaster, because both of us love our coffee.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Larry C

The Bonavita machines have a "pre-infuse" feature you can Turn on.

I'd steer clear of trying To open and close the Technivorm full, Half, off lever. You are dealing with 200⁰ water. I've had a dripper turn over on my hand once, it's not something I would want to happen again.

The "clever Dripper" is a plastic infusion dripper.

Vacuum/syphon Pots are also infuse brewers.

The Bonavita machines have a "pre-infuse" feature you can Turn on.

I'd steer clear of trying To open and close the Technivorm full, Half, off lever. You are dealing with 200⁰ water. I've had a dripper turn over on my hand once, it's not something I would want to happen again.

The "clever Dripper" is a plastic infusion dripper.

Vacuum/syphon Pots are also infuse brewers.
Yep, my Bonavita 1901ts does this. I really like the feature.

I do not know if you are grinding your own coffee or not, but if you did grind a touch finer that could be a way to get a similar effect of delayed/partial immersion brewing. I do not have a Moccamaster, but I would also be a little leery of needing to be present to move a lever at the right time in the brewing cycle.

As @Mick was stating you might consider a Clever Coffee Dripper as replacement for your Bonivita. Looks like they come in 1 cup and 2 cup sizes and in different colors. But if you want to brew more then an auto-drip machine is nice.

Thanks very much for all that responded. I really appreciate all the information and suggestions. For now, I have a Clever Coffee Dripper on order for a stopgap measure. I'm not crazy that it's plastic, but it will do for awhile. The Brazen brewer is pretty interesting, but I really see a Moccamaster in my future. I like the idea of mostly hand built machines. But, I've not given up on the idea of a percolator, FarmerTan. I'm old enough to have used the Corning Ware electric percolators, and to me that was some great coffee.

I'm really disappointed in the Bonavita customer service. I have sent emails to both the warranty email address and the customer service email address and so far just crickets. Even if they just said they had no more replacement levers, I would be satisfied with that response. At least I would have some closure.

Again, thanks for your help and information.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've not given up on the idea of a percolator, FarmerTan. I'm old enough to have used the Corning Ware electric percolators, and to me that was some great coffee.

I'm really disappointed in the Bonavita customer service. I have sent emails to both the warranty email address and the customer service email address and so far just crickets. Even if they just said they had no more replacement levers, I would be satisfied with that response. At least I would have some closure.

Again, thanks for your help and information.
My fear is that we are beginning to expect less than stellar customer service in the wake of Covid, and that that excuse will become acceptable.

It doesn't help that my the young folks I know are so willing to accept bad products and services and rarely put up an argument for it. So the businesses are probably going to keep getting worse. I wish I was well off as the younger folks I know think they are, lol! I'm amazed at how often they just buy a new item without repairing the old one.

LOL, I guess there's a reason why my lovely War Department and I are debt free for so many years. I never understood WHY someone buys new furniture before the old stuff wears out? Redecorating? And your house isn't paid off?

Now get off my lawn you kids!

Thanks very much for all that responded. I really appreciate all the information and suggestions. For now, I have a Clever Coffee Dripper on order for a stopgap measure. I'm not crazy that it's plastic, but it will do for awhile. The Brazen brewer is pretty interesting, but I really see a Moccamaster in my future. I like the idea of mostly hand built machines. But, I've not given up on the idea of a percolator, FarmerTan. I'm old enough to have used the Corning Ware electric percolators, and to me that was some great coffee.
Sounds like a good plan. I thought there might be another porcelain immersion dripper but I could not find one. Though you might also consider the "Hario Switch" which is made out of glass. It looks like a V60 02 with a lever base added. They were out of stock at Prima Coffee and a few other places I am most familiar with, but look to be available in Japan (kurasu website) and from their own online site:

I hated my Bonavita. I bought a Mochamaster and never looked back. I put the water in, grind the beans and turn it on. Great coffee every time!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I have owned a Moccamaster for over 5 years - the delay feature is as stated a mistake waiting to happen if you fail to open the flow at the right time. To the machines credit most of the overflow goes down into the pot, rather than all over the counter, at least when I've gotten distracted. Never ran the whole tank through with the lever closed to find out.

The Moccamaster has too many loose plastic parts for my taste. The previous auto drip, a Braun, lasted a long time and was of better quality than the pricier Technivormm. Just as an example, the Braun had a hinged lid for the water reservoir, the MM has a plastic loose part that looks like it came from some tupperware, though of cheaper plastic. The pot on the Braun was not seamed at the bottom like the MM, which collects crud at that seam ..

In practice I've moved largely to a percolator (sometimes an old electric Farberware, sometimes a glass Pyrex), though I use the MM thermal pot to keep the perc'ed java warm .. and it is quicker than the percolators if I want a pot in a hurry .. which is probably why the majority have gone auto drip.

Top Bottom