What's new

Looking for dress pants with elastic waistband - help!

Hello Gents,

I need your help. My wife's grandfather recently entered hospice care and it sounds like he'll be passing within a month or two. They have cut off most of his meds (at the family's request), and he is retaining water, so he can't wear any of his normal pants, as they restrict his breathing.

Does anyone know of any dress pants with an elastic waistband that we could track down for him? The docs suggested sweat pants, but he is not a sweat pants type of guy, if that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. We appreciate it!

Dave

Do a quick search for 'Comfort Waist'. I think Haggar, Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, and Dockers all have some variation of the comfort waist. I don't own any, so I'm not sure how they differ, but I do know that some have a hidden, sliding gore that "automatically" adjusts up to a few inches.

Good Luck, and I'm sorry to hear of your Grandfather-In-Law's situation.

The last few years of my dad's life he switched to track pants. The kind with an elastic band, and zippers all the way up both legs so they go on and off easily. They are not nearly as ugly as regular sweats.

The comfort waist mentioned above may work, but I have the feeling that if he is having breathing issues because of the tightness of the pants they won't have enough give in them.

I think the best solution (since he wants to continue to wear dress pants) would be buy the dress pants several sizes too big, and then wear them with suspenders. That way, he still has the style/look he prefers but they will be loose around him. And of course the suspenders on dress pants are probably something he would be more comfortable with compared to sweat/track pants etc.

A product like the Waist Expander might allow him to continue wearing his favorite pants.

You can get them by mail order, and some stores that have a section for "As Seen On TV" products.

Do a quick search for 'Comfort Waist'. I think Haggar, Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, and Dockers all have some variation of the comfort waist. I don't own any, so I'm not sure how they differ, but I do know that some have a hidden, sliding gore that "automatically" adjusts up to a few inches.

Good Luck, and I'm sorry to hear of your Grandfather-In-Law's situation.

Prayers for you all and Kohls , Penny's and Dillards carry expandable waist slacks. I have a pair I got by accident that I love for IWB Carry.

Top Bottom