What's new

Looking For Descriptions Of Authentic 1950's Shaving Techniques From Those Who Did It. Gents Over 80, I am Asking You!

I wish to learn from Gents who are members who began shaving in the 50's or even earlier.

Certainly this has come up before, but I don't believe as a dedicated thread asking shaving veterans directly for their experiences. It would be useful to have their recollections and expertise concentrated in one place, and very instructional and helpful to the community for historic purposes.

This 3 pass stuff seems very modern, I am assuming it is a recent development. I would like to hear and learn from Gents who are over 80 and recall what kind of shaving method they used, in terms of passes and any additional information.

I wish to recapture the speed of vintage shaves, learn from veteran members memories of techniques and mimic them with my own vintage hardware.

Assuming it was a kind of 2 pass (at the most) WTG and upward pass?

The idea that the 40's and 50's did not demand a fast morning shave seems fanciful to me, moreover all pictures I have seen from the period show guys very well shaved, including manual labour Gents.

Any colleagues who are 80 plus who wish to share their techniques and contemporary attitudes to shaving at the time would be greatly welcomed.

Respectfully, please do not post speculative ideas if you are a youngster like me of 60 and under. I wish to hear from those who actually experienced shaving in this period.

Thanks Gents!

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Not quite 80 yet but I vividly remember watching my father shave as a little boy. If my father were still alive, he would be about 98 years old.

My father shaved with a three-piece Gillette and 7 o'clock blades (probably not SS in those days). He would wet his face, load his boar brush on a cake of bath soap and face lather. Two passes were done; one N-S and one S-N. This was followed by any touchups where needed. He showered after his shave.

I also use to watch my maternal grandfather shave with his SR but don't remember much of it except for his stropping before every shave.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
My father is 85 and never shaves ATG. When I was a lad I remember him lathering his brush on a cake of Sunlight Laundry Soap and then shaving WTG and XTG. As his blade got older he would then do a third pass with was also XTG but opposite to the other XTG. His father (my Grandfather) was a Barber by trade and also never shaved ATG. Blades were not that cheap back in the 1960’s and they used to make them go a long way. I usually get 7 shaves a
out of a blade these days and my father used to make them go a lot further than that.

I remember starting to shave ‘both whiskers’ in about 1957 when I was 16. And although I've been wet shaving for well over six decades, my overall experience has been fairly limited. I'm sure many if not most of this forums members have a lot more experience with various razors, soaps, aftershaves, etc., than I have.

I don't remember my dad actually teaching me to shave, but I think I just more or less followed his example. He used a Gillette blue tip and Williams shaving soap. So, that's basically my start. His blue tip and soap.
Later on, after moving out, the ‘newness’ wore off, and shaving became just a morning chore that I accomplished before work with a quick single pass. I'm not sure that I'd even heard of a 3 pass shave in those days.

I don't actually remember when I started to really enjoy shaving, but I do remember that when better blades, and soaps became available, I started taking more interest in it. Then in the early days of the internet I read a glowing description of a leisurely multi-pass shave, with all the 'extras', Alum, witch hazel, balms, etc., which really increased my interest, and the rest is history.

I'm not a collector, and my 'shaving den' would probably be considered pretty skimpy. But I thoroughly enjoy the whole experience, and I also enjoy being part of this great forum. I've actually learned quite a bit in the short time that I've been a member.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I remember starting to shave ‘both whiskers’ in about 1957 when I was 16. And although I've been wet shaving for well over six decades, my overall experience has been fairly limited. I'm sure many if not most of this forums members have a lot more experience with various razors, soaps, aftershaves, etc., than I have.

I don't remember my dad actually teaching me to shave, but I think I just more or less followed his example. He used a Gillette blue tip and Williams shaving soap. So, that's basically my start. His blue tip and soap.
Later on, after moving out, the ‘newness’ wore off, and shaving became just a morning chore that I accomplished before work with a quick single pass. I'm not sure that I'd even heard of a 3 pass shave in those days.

I don't actually remember when I started to really enjoy shaving, but I do remember that when better blades, and soaps became available, I started taking more interest in it. Then in the early days of the internet I read a glowing description of a leisurely multi-pass shave, with all the 'extras', Alum, witch hazel, balms, etc., which really increased my interest, and the rest is history.

I'm not a collector, and my 'shaving den' would probably be considered pretty skimpy. But I thoroughly enjoy the whole experience, and I also enjoy being part of this great forum. I've actually learned quite a bit in the short time that I've been a member.
Thanks for sharing this, sir.

Very interesting thread, and one that makes me feel young....ish.

I believe this thread will validate what I have believed for a long time:

We are spoiled - and exploited - by boutique razor and soap makers, which is not a bad thing if you view shaving as a hobby.

I may be wrong, but I believe that men from the middle of the 20th century likely viewed shaving as a daily chore, not a luxury or hobby. I also believe that most had one razor, one blade, and one soap - and made those work - just like us before we found B&B.

It's an interesting question, that in hindsight I wish I could ask my dad.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The very first day I met my future wife's grandfather..... he took me into the bathroom and taught me to shave. He said the first secret was the lather.... and rubbing the lather into my face. He didn't have a brush but taught me how to make sure the lather from the canned foam was applied according to his method. It was really just rubbing it in for quite a while.

Then he taught me the basics of razor use.... he just did two passes... wtg and atg. I've always remembered that fondly. He was a very nice guy. He had three daughters so I think he enjoyed the experience as well.

The 1908 instructions (see mr razor website) for the Gillette single ring display two pictures, one for WTG and one for ATG and how to hold your razor. The text is the manual suggests Gillette already mention a three pass shave - “shaving up, down or across the grain”.

Other techniques contained in the instructions collection include the Gillette Slide (this has been consistently advertised from pretty much the beginning to the mid-50’s if I recall correctly) and the Gillette slanted stroke.

Interesting subject/topic Simon!

Cheers,

Guido

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The 1908 instructions (see mr razor website) for the Gillette single ring display two pictures, one for WTG and one for ATG and how to hold your razor. The text is the manual suggests Gillette already mention a three pass shave - “shaving up, down or across the grain”.
Here are the instructions to which I think you refer and I have always interpreted them as suggesting a single pass shave, either with, or against, or across the grain. It is also possible it is intended to describe a single pass with a combination of with/against/across strokes to suit the beard growth in the particular area being shaved. I do not interpret it as describing three or more passes, certainly not with relathering between passes.

Does anyone actually remember three or four separate relathered passes being commonplace in the 1950s? I suspect not but I could be wrong.

1908_Single_Ring_Instruction.jpg

When you say 'traditional' are you confirming that a three or four pass shave was usual for gentlemen with tough whiskers in the 1950s? Some have suggested that a three or four pass shave is a modern invention of shaving hobbyists.
We just don't know. But I don't believe the concept of a three-pass or four-pass shave was invented in recent decades. Some men always have had tough whiskers. Some men always have sought a close shave.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I believe we shaved the same way in the sixties as people shaved in the fifties. There was no real change until the BIC came along. I never heard of anyone referring it to as a hobby or even mentioning it except to say “Damn, I’ve got to shave”. Usually one pass with a bit of touch up where necessary. Most used canned cream and sometimes a drugstore puck. I’m more or less the same presently; the only difference is using a straight razor and ARKO rather than a DE or SE.

Here are the instructions to which I think you refer and I have always interpreted them as suggesting a single pass shave, either with, or against, or across the grain. It is also possible it is intended to describe a single pass with a combination of with/against/across strokes to suit the beard growth in the particular area being shaved. I do not interpret it as describing three or more passes, certainly not with relathering between passes.

Does anyone actually remember three or four separate relathered passes being commonplace in the 1950s? I suspect not but I could be wrong.

View attachment 1494085
I can definitely follow your reading of the instructions. The instructions for the Slim Twist are more obvious, but still with interpretations: “shave in the direction which is most comfortable. If necessary re-lather and then shave in the opposite direction”. That would indeed suggest a single pass shave. Still does not explicitly state number of passes or even mentions the word passes at all.

Of course Gillette advocated the Gillette Slide which would be WTG+XTG in the same pass. Based on @santamariasteve ’s experience a two pass would at least be known in the era we are discussing here. So further to your OP, @Alum Ladd - any early Gillette using the Gillette Slide would get you that experience you are looking for, right?

I cannot ask my dad as cartridges were invented when I first showed my face and he used them or a Philishave and I have never seen my grandfather shave with a razor. He also used electric razors by then.

Guido

Last edited:
Top Bottom