What's new

Looking for cream recommendations

I think Art of Shaving makes a good cream and you can usually find a sale for at least 50% off. I haven't paid full price for AOS for some time. I also like Speick for cream.

So I ordered the Proraso green. I've been using it for about a week. I like it but I have a few notes on it. First and foremost I was not ready for how "cooling and effervescent" it was going to be haha. But once I got accustomed to it I actually find it nice. Second it doesn't seem to create as thick of a lather at the TOB does. I've used next to no water and up. It does make a fine later. It's just not as stiff and thick as I have become accustomed to. It gives a good shave but could stand to be just a bit slicker. All in all I like it and would buy it again. I am going to try one of your other suggestions next week!

So I ordered the Proraso green. I've been using it for about a week. I like it but I have a few notes on it. First and foremost I was not ready for how "cooling and effervescent" it was going to be haha. But once I got accustomed to it I actually find it nice. Second it doesn't seem to create as thick of a lather at the TOB does. I've used next to no water and up. It does make a fine later. It's just not as stiff and thick as I have become accustomed to. It gives a good shave but could stand to be just a bit slicker. All in all I like it and would buy it again. I am going to try one of your other suggestions next week!

Wait until it either gets really warm in your neck of the woods (if it ever does) or after you have a really intense workout (if you ever do), as the Proraso Green fully shines under these conditions. The best shaves I've ever gotten happened using Proraso Green pre-shave and shave cream. It's not the slickest product but there's something about it and it just works.

TOBS makes really nice creams, and if you are using the older formulation Proraso, you'll likely never get similar lather like TOBS gives you. Proraso has recentky been re-formulated calling it the "Super Formula" and although I have not actually shaved with my new Green yet, it feels a little more slick and luxurious compared to the old stuff when I did a test lather with it.

Still, TOBS creams are solid and very hard to beat in the non-tallow area, that's my opinion anyways. For reference, I use an inch worth of cream with a wet/drippy synthetic and face-lather it to 2 perfect passes with enough left over for touch-ups. Proraso fears not water IME.

I've used next to no water and up. It does make a fine later. It's just not as stiff and thick as I have become accustomed to. It gives a good shave but could stand to be just a bit slicker.
Perhaps use more soap for that creamier lather. You should also try Proraso Sandalwood in the red bowl but I think you will really enjoy Cella.

Cello Bio and Proraso's new super formula creams are brilliant. I've been using them exclusively for nearly six months. I get really consistent, slick performance from both of them. I find them much better than my TOBS creams.

One that I haven’t seen mentioned but I like is L’Occitaine Cade. The scent is ok if a bit grandmotherly but the performance is great

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Castle Forbes 1445

Admittedly the most $$$ cream purchase to date, but this impulse buy was reinforced by other reviews and posts I’ve read lately. Really liked this cream, great lather, pleasing scent and smooth shave especially on my neck which is a problem area for me. I keep going back to it because the shaves are great!

Get this for some really interesting scents.

Otherwise, try a soap if you haven't already. Like Martin de Candre. Again very unique scents.

Castle Forbes 1445

Admittedly the most $$$ cream purchase to date, but this impulse buy was reinforced by other reviews and posts I’ve read lately. Really liked this cream, great lather, pleasing scent and smooth shave especially on my neck which is a problem area for me. I keep going back to it because the shaves are great!

I’ve just finished a sample of 1445. You are right.
It makes a slick creamy lather and has a great scent.
The shaves are smooth and comfortable.

Top Bottom