What's new

Looking for Boar Loft Recommendations

I am going to put a boar knot in a brush with a 27mm socket. I'll use the brush mostly for bowl lathering and maybe a little face lathering. I was thinking about a 26mm boar knot with a loft of 54mm? Any thoughts on a different loft or knot size for the 27mm socket?

I am going to put a boar knot in a brush with a 27mm socket. I'll use the brush mostly for bowl lathering and maybe a little face lathering. I was thinking about a 26mm boar knot with a loft of 54mm? Any thoughts on a different loft or knot size for the 27mm socket?

I'm really just looking for a starting point. I don't know boar bristle well enough. My previous experience with a Semogue was that it would spread out a bit over time. Would a 2:1 ratio have too much backbone? Should I be looking 2:1 +2mm or +4mm?

I have narrowed the knot down to a 24mm Maggards premium boar knot for the 27mm socket.

I'm sure different knots are different, and different people have different tastes. But if you're looking for a starting point, Oumo Brush recommends a loft of 48 to 50 mm for both their 24 mm and 26 mm boar knots. With the length of the Maggard knots, that loft is probably going to require a very deep hole in your brush handle.

Personally, I like a shorter lofted boar brush and I'd be shooting for the middle of that Oumo loft recommendation at 49 mm.

I'm sure different knots are different, and different people have different tastes. But if you're looking for a starting point, Oumo Brush recommends a loft of 48 to 50 mm for both their 24 mm and 26 mm boar knots. With the length of the Maggard knots, that loft is probably going to require a very deep hole in your brush handle.

Personally, I like a shorter lofted boar brush and I'd be shooting for the middle of that Oumo loft recommendation at 49 mm.

Thank you! That's a good starting point.

It really depends on the stiffness of the boar bristles. I have seen where a higher lofted boar with plenty of backbone can work very well. If you go too short, you will get a scrub brush effect which doesn't seem optimal.

Three of my favorites are:

Omega Jade premium boar: 27mm x 53mm (approximate)

Zenith B02-A26: 26mm x 57mm (approximate)

Semogue C5 Torga premium boar: 24mm x 50mm (approximate)

Note the Semogue knots are deliberately designed to spread out in a cone shape by the way they are formed. Omega knots are more cylindrical in shape.

Last edited:
Top Bottom