What's new

Looking for boar brush.considering Omega Pro 48.

Hi everyone,
As per title I've read good reviews on the Omega Pro 48 and am considering purchasing one as my first boar brush.
Any experience with it? Would you recommend I pick another boar brush as my first.
I was drawn to this particular brush due to its large size, yet don't have a stand large enough to hold it. Any ideas of which stand would if I even go this route?
Thanks!

I can't speak for a stand, but I love my Omega 48. It is a large brush for sure, but it holds a TON of lather and feels very nice on my face, especially now that it's broken in. When I bowl lather with the brush there is very little lather in the bowl itself - it mostly stays in the brush. However, I have more than enough lather for 3 or 4 passes. I just add a drop or two of water each time, whip it a bit and apply. I have small hands and find the large handle easy to work with and manouver around my face. It's a great brush at a great price.

Cheers!
K

^^^
I have never used a stand..
i have the omega 10049.. Which is pretty similar..
Its huge but in a good way!! When it was delivered i was like 'how am i supposed to lather with this?!' But when i used it i was really happy with the results.. Its my go to brush now!

PS : i usually face lather!

Had the same reaction when I first saw mine, how in the heck am i supposed to use this thing?
But use it I have and what a brush it is! It outperforms its price like crazy and after a few weeks of being broken in, its a favorite and I find myself reaching for it more and more.
I would recommend is very strongly.

I use a stand with a 28ish MM opening and it works fine
proxy.php

I have both Semogues and Omega boar brushes. I don't have the Omega Pro 48 exactly, but I do have the Proraso (Omega) boar brush, which is very similar. Compared to my Semogues, it didn't seem to need any breaking in at all. It's a big brush, but very soft tips and a very nice density to hold plenty of lather. I was concerned it would seem too big, but for whatever reason, a large boar brush does not bother me like a large badger brush does. Works great for soaps and creams IMO and at the price, you can't beat it. I face lather with it, but would be great for bowl lathering as well. I think it would be a great first boar brush.

Ben

I bought an Omega 48 just a week ago on Amazon. By far the best price ($11.47 shipped). The brush is huge and gets floppy once soaked for a long time. The bristles break in after a few shaves andbecome very soft. The bristles are not bleach. Consequently, this brush stinks. I hand-lathered to break it in. My palm smelled like a wet dog for the rest of the day.

Last edited:
Had the same reaction when I first saw mine, how in the heck am i supposed to use this thing?
But use it I have and what a brush it is! It outperforms its price like crazy and after a few weeks of being broken in, its a favorite and I find myself reaching for it more and more.
I would recommend is very strongly.

Don't get me wrong; I love Omega brushes. But personally I favour the smaller ones for face lathering. As an example, the #10066 boar brush. smaller knot, same quality.

i love mine and face lather exclusively. i have owned 2. i pif'ed one to a friend wanting to try wet shaving. i really regretted doing so, so i bought another, which i still have.

as others have said, the break in period for softness/spit ends is almost non existent, but the break in period for smell is another thing. both of the 48's that i have bought have stunk to high heaven for the first 3-5 uses. but it does subside to an odor no different than any other brush. a 48 will always be in my stable.

I have both Semogues and Omega boar brushes. I don't have the Omega Pro 48 exactly, but I do have the Proraso (Omega) boar brush, which is very similar. Compared to my Semogues, it didn't seem to need any breaking in at all. It's a big brush, but very soft tips and a very nice density to hold plenty of lather. I was concerned it would seem too big, but for whatever reason, a large boar brush does not bother me like a large badger brush does. Works great for soaps and creams IMO and at the price, you can't beat it. I face lather with it, but would be great for bowl lathering as well. I think it would be a great first boar brush.

Ben

+1

$HR_411-222-00_proraso-boar-bristle-shaving-brush_340x255.jpg

Top Bottom