What's new

Looking for an inexpensive razor that gives smooth BBS shaves?

It looks like they've improved the packaging slightly since I got mine in Sept. 2017.

My Grande Journey - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/my-grande-journey.527934/

Almost three years now and its been my #1 DE since the first stroke of the first shave.
Package improvement and they throw in a tuck of GSB. I enjoyed your 2017 Grande Journey Thread Start. I am starting a similar journey with three OC’s in rotation. GC68OC, Grande, Yaqi Chrome Mellon.
F4C78B7E-3ABA-4753-84D9-75C27B06E1C1.jpeg
B208505B-F495-47E7-B043-209AC16843FD.jpeg
0B698C8B-6E03-4121-9307-758D155D0CF0.jpeg
EEB3D693-F6D2-4F5A-82CC-1DF14F92D0BC.jpeg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Package improvement and they throw in a tuck of GSB. I enjoyed your 2017 Grande Journey Thread Start. I am starting a similar journey with three OC’s in rotation. GC68OC, Grande, Yaqi Chrome Mellon.

Thanks!

If you keep reading you'll find my experience with using GSB's does not mirror most others lol.

If you decide to start a journal thread, you'll likely see me wander through it. They really are a good way to keep tracks of things, especially when you go back over them as time goes by.

Check this out. I shaved half my face with my "new" Gillette Tech and half with this. Both very smooth. This shaves closer but the Tech is definitely safer. Good when you're not in a hurry.
Just like a lot of lying, cheating, obfuscating sellers on Ali, this one is no exception. NONE of it is actually stainless steel, as claimed. I bought one, back when they were on sale, just to put the handle on a Tech clone head. The handle is worth the price; the head is inferior chrome-plated zamak junk. I t doesn't support the blade very well. Mine gave an OK shave with a variety of blades & soaps, but it's not anywhere near the quality of any of the Tech design clones.
Of course YMMV - if you're lucky.
THIS is the head I put on that handle. It's not actually a Gillette, either & is likely Zamac, BUT it supports the blade & shaves like a Tech (as many clones do) and balances well on that handle. THIS is a combination worth having!

Last edited:
Thanks!

If you keep reading you'll find my experience with using GSB's does not mirror most others lol.

If you decide to start a journal thread, you'll likely see me wander through it. They really are a good way to keep tracks of things, especially when you go back over them as time goes by.
I do agree with all the benefits of journaling, still have not decided. I will have my second shave on the Mellon, making it two across the board for each razor. I’m definitely going to do an A vs B vs C review, but that’s months away. More reason for a journal. I am so lazy.

I do intend to finish your thread also watching you dudes with the Storto. Strong love for Fatip.

Voshkod is my go to, GSB is slightly less smooth for me.

I do agree with all the benefits of journaling, still have not decided. I will have my second shave on the Mellon, making it two across the board for each razor. I’m definitely going to do an A vs B vs C review, but that’s months away. More reason for a journal. I am so lazy.

I do intend to finish your thread also watching you dudes with the Storto. Strong love for Fatip.

I have some GSB samples & they work OK for me, but the Voskhod shave smoother for me & are several points sharper than GSB's.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Put a fresh Feather in your Grande and enjoy one of the absolute best shaves a DE can give. I'm honestly torn between that combination and my SE's. It is that good.

Put a fresh Feather in your Grande and enjoy one of the absolute best shaves a DE can give. I'm honestly torn between that combination and my SE's. It is that good.
I keep trying Feathers and Nacets every three months or so. I haven’t been able to get smooth or comfortable shaves, only Close. This reinforces my love for the Voshkod. I guess I can only live in the medium sharpness range. I do get consistent BBS face and head shaves. I have plenty of blades to try but right now the Voshkod is the only anchor I have. Three new razors, brushes and soap rotation I need one familiar face. I read your GSB adventures. Such Horror! & Ouch😥

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I keep trying Feathers and Nacets every three months or so. I haven’t been able to get smooth or comfortable shaves, only Close. This reinforces my love for the Voshkod. I guess I can only live in the medium sharpness range. I do get consistent BBS face and head shaves. I have plenty of blades to try but right now the Voshkod is the only anchor I have. Three new razors, brushes and soap rotation I need one familiar face. I read your GSB adventures. Such Horror! & Ouch😥

I like Voskhod blades too. The first shave is very smooth. Slightly more harsh the second shave and more harsh again the third, but on the fourth they smoothed right out for me again.

Yeah, GSB and me is a no go lol.

A good old post war Tech will comfortably BBS you everytime if you know how to wield it!

If you have the patience :001_tongu lol.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
My first BBS was with a Razorock German 37 slant(not best for alignment but it will perform) using a Gillette silver blue blade and by then my technique was reasonable. You know when you have a BBS when a cotton ball will not snag on any whiskers. A Merkur 37c or a 39c slant are very similar to the RR 37 slant but do cost a little more. It is hard to find any one to say a negative about a Merkur razor from the years on this forum.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I get consistently great shaves from my Game Changers .68 & .84. But my original RazorRock Sloc also give me a great shave, cost a lot less than the GC's & I find it smoother! But YMMV.

Just picked one up this week. I think I would agree shave vs. money. Gives a really close shave. Bit me a couple times as angle and light pressure are key I've found on this one. No surprise. Going to keep improving the skill with it and think it will be a regular in the rotation.
Am only two shaves in with the Parker, but very impressed. I didn't think I'd like the long, heavy handle but it balances nicely, and it might just be a bit more efficient than my beloved 37c. It's a touch more demanding on blade angle, and it's audible, which was a surprise, but a good intuitive shaver.

Am only two shaves in with the Parker, but very impressed. I didn't think I'd like the long, heavy handle but it balances nicely, and it might just be a bit more efficient than my beloved 37c. It's a touch more demanding on blade angle, and it's audible, which was a surprise, but a good intuitive shaver.
It's a great shaver for the $. Definitely a bit more demanding, but well worth the learning curve and a few nicks to begin with. :) Slant on!

would have suggested the Rockwell 6S like others before me. Don't think you could go wrong with it imho
As long as you want to spend the $100 vs. $33 I wouldn't disagree. I'm sure the stainless is great, but I would guess the chrome version is just as good at half the cost. I know I won't spend $100 when I already have the 6C for $50.

Top Bottom