What's new

Looking for an inexpensive razor that gives smooth BBS shaves?

While the idea is feasible, the means of achieving it can be really harsh.
I have seen way too many people really suffering taking the route.
It does not work for everyone and the sooner this community understands, the better.

Eh, my view is, do what you like. If it's worth it to you to chase it, maybe that's part of the fun for you. It's not something I go for and likely never will, and that's fine for me. It's a really personalized experience, so short of using the handle end of the razor to shave or the like, there's no wrong way. 😉

What do you define as cheap? My best value razors would be the DE89 and the Razorock Mambo 70. The Mamba is my favorite DE for a smooth, irritation free shave. Well worth the $65 or whatever it currently costs.

I agree that the Rockwell 6S is a great razor (I also have the AS-D2 which is not inexpensive) and I find that I can use it everyday without a problem and get a great shave. But, I also bought the new Stainless Steel Occam's DE razor with the solid bar, scalloped, plate and find that it too is a great shaver at a fraction of the price. I didn't need it, but enjoyed all of the great reviews about it so I gave it to myself for a Christmas present. I really enjoy it and would recommend that you add it to your list of potential choices. Good luck.

While the idea is feasible, the means of achieving it can be really harsh.
I have seen way too many people really suffering taking the route.
It does not work for everyone and the sooner this community understands, the better.
I would think any harshness in chasing a BBS shave could be resolved in most cases by changes in razors, blades, and/or technique.

In vintage i think the best cheap razor is an all brass tech. 1960 or earlier. In fact I think it's as good or better than any razor at any price IMO. And you can find them as cheap as 10 bucks on eBay.

In new razors it's hard to beat the Lord L6. Costs 5 or 6 bucks And shaves almost as well as a tech IMO. But while it could last quite a while it's probably not a lifetime razor due to the zamak construction.

Feather Popular with two Feather Stainless steel blades. One of the sharpest blades around on a very forgiving razor. It's like $12 on Amazon...

The DE razor that has consistently given me my most comfortable shaves with a BBS finish that lasts 12 hours with any decent blade is a Fatip OC.

Solid Brass and only $20. I prefer the Grande handle.
Recently got my Grande so only two shaves and both BBS.

Attachments

• 2F96CDA2-4537-4456-8A98-016060A81171.jpeg
    2F96CDA2-4537-4456-8A98-016060A81171.jpeg
    793.1 KB · Views: 33
I guess I'm lucky, I can get BBS with just 2 passes and slight cleanup on right chin/jawline.

Define inexpensive. Pay $35-$40 you'll save money on cartridges after 3 months.

Top Bottom