What's new

looking for an alternative to derby extra

hey guys so it's been a few months since i started shaving with a safety and love it! I've gotten better with everything from stretching my skin during shaving, hot water, all that

so for my head, since I like the bald look (thinning hair) I started using Shark's SHARP a few weeks ago. I used it once on my face and it was so damn sharp it was insane...so I stopped using it on my face. Used it on my head, especially on my crown since the hair is the smallest, thinnest and slickest there, small slow strokes and it is AMAZING. Takes away all my hair within a stroke (Derby requires more than one often)...the best part is when I put my aftershave alcohol you don't feel too many spots where it burns. This means that their aren't too many microcuts. So I keep SHARP for my head

Now for my face/beard. I noticed that the Derby extra actually cuts me somewhat, and the worst part is that even where I'm not cut, I get a "BURN" feel. Like someone just rubbed my face for half an hour with their hands vigorously. I also feel like the Derby EXTRAs would cause acne if I were to shave too much with them. They also required more than one stroke. So I'm wondering if there is anything a notch or two higher in terms of sharpness(is there like a chart for sizing these things?) for Derby that would give me the same results for the shave on my head...for my face/beard?

From searching this forum, I was looking into Reds but can't find them on Amazon.

I was going to suggest a Personna Red. Try a B&B vendor. West Coast Shaving has them in the blue UK packaging for a very reasonable price.

The problem is I dont know if a single store (non-online) that sells them in the US. We for some stupid reason prefer to buy over expensive mach 3s.

The problem is I dont know if a single store (non-online) that sells them in the US. We for some stupid reason prefer to buy over expensive mach 3s.

If you're going to wetshave, just get used to ordering online. You're going to miss out on the best products out there if you don't.

Not that much different here in the UK really - online or pretty much nothing with a couple of exceptions. How about Astra SP ??

I don't like Derby that much so pretty much most blades I've tried have been better but I do like Astra SP and they aren't silly expensive.

I've found the Personna Lab Blades to be the best blades. Sharp and comfortable. Also, you can buy them on amazon.com

Derbys are love or hate around here. Good suggestion above for Personna Reds from WCS. I'm liking Gillette Silver Blues at the moment but they are more expensive than Reds. Both give smooth shaves with little irritation or cuts for me.

+ 1 on the Personna Labs. I am also a head shaver and my current set up is a Muhle R101 and a Feather blade. Face and head with cold water. Love it!

Buy a sampler...close your eyes...pick out a pack of blades. If they are not better than Derby's you may want to work on your technique. IMHO, I cannot think of many (i.e., any) blades worse than Derby (except maybe for Walmart Wilkies, Merkurs and most things named Dorco).

+ 1 on the Personna Labs. I am also a head shaver and my current set up is a Muhle R101 and a Feather blade. Face and head with cold water. Love it!
can you elaborate on this? cold water vs hot water for beard vs head? I never have used cold water. What's the common procedure for the vast majority of shavers for each of those shaving areas? I remember when I was 6 years old my dad would make me do hot first cold second.

Top Bottom