What's new

Looking for an aftershave balm

I'm new to the whole wet shaving world and I'm tired of the whole go to the local drug store and buy the mass market generic crap.

I'm looking for a balm or lotion that is alcohol free, goes on smooth with no irritation if I accidently nick myself and moisturizes.

Also does anyone know of a good pre-shave gel or oil that would be good to use. Thanks

Flounder (Do you have a name?)

Aftershave products are probably the most personal thing out there; what works for one gent is anothers poison. That being said, I have had great success with Baxters (inexpensive/cooling), L'Occitane CADE (expensive/rich), Crabtree and Evelyn (medium body/scented), and D.R. Harris Aftershaving Milk (its own beast). Many folks like the Truefitt and Hill unscented balm as well. If you can give us some better idea of what characteristics you are looking for, we can narrow it down.

As for pre-shaves, I eschew such things, but I would say if you are intent on using them, Pacific Shave Oil is a good choice.

Hope this helps.

I'm more than happy with Trumper's skin food. I have both flavours (Limes and Rose) and find them excellent, you can also put it on your face before you shave for extra lubrication.

Cheers
John

I'm currently using Baxter's ASB. It has a nice cooling effect. Crabtree & Evelyn's Sienna and Truefitt & Hill's 1805 are on my wish list.

Kevin

In the end it comes down to personal preference and even my own tastes change.

I really like the Baxter AS for its mentholated tingle.

Lately I've also enjoyed using Taylor's Rose Witch Hazel with Proraso's Liquid Cream Aftershave. The Witch Hazel is a good astringent, anti-septic and the Proraso is a good moirutizer that also leaves a "talcy" finish.

I'm with Scotto on this one! My favorites that follow almost every shave are:

D.R. Harris A/S Milk
L'Occitane CAD A/S balm
C&E Sienna (when I shave with the same soap it's great "layering")
Proraso Liquid Cream A/S

I can't find fault with any of these (other than if you personally don't care for the scent).

Flounder,
One need not flounder in the ASB market. There are far too many excellent balms to worry about just having one or two. Most, while relatively pricey in terms of dollars per unit volume, are efficacious with just a dab.
At any rate, they all vary in their ability to deliver the three desireable qualities of a balm:
  1. Moisturizing
  2. Healing - Anti feu
  3. Toning - Astringency

If you can bear lanolin, and do not wish to have something that will overshadow the fragrance of your cologne, Truefitt and Hill Classic Aftershave Balm is number one. It is highly effective in all three qualities, which is rare. You will usually find most ASBs are good in two out of three performance venues.

I'm going to dare to pipe up here even though I bow down to the knowledge of the vastly senior members here.

Have you tried Nivea for Men "Sensitive" after-shave balm? It comes in the white bottle, NOT the blue one and is alcohol free and very soothing. I'm pretty sure it also has Vitamin E and some Aloe in it as well. It's also practically fragrance free so you can wear any cologne you wish.

It's not too hideous a price either, about $6 and should last you at least a month of exclusive usage, longer if in a rotation.

I know it's a 'pauper's choice' among some of the more fancy products available but it does its job well and shouldn't irritate your skin at all.:smile:

guenron said:
Flounder,
One need not flounder in the ASB market. There are far too many excellent balms to worry about just having one or two. Most, while relatively pricey in terms of dollars per unit volume, are efficacious with just a dab.
At any rate, they all vary in their ability to deliver the three desireable qualities of a balm:
  1. Moisturizing
  2. Healing - Anti feu
  3. Toning - Astringency

If you can bear lanolin, and do not wish to have something that will overshadow the fragrance of your cologne, Truefitt and Hill Classic Aftershave Balm is number one. It is highly effective in all three qualities, which is rare. You will usually find most ASBs are good in two out of three performance venues.

I guess I should have been a little more specific

but preferably alcohol free, has a good astringency properties and moisturizing. Thanks

Flounder said:
I guess I should have been a little more specific

but preferably alcohol free, has a good astringency properties and moisturizing. Thanks
There are dozens available meeting those criteria. If there is no desire to layer fragrances, i.e. have the same fragrance soap or cream, or cologne and your after shave balm, there are a bundle of them. Despite that, I have found L'Occitane has two different balms, L'Occitan and CADE that are both very effective. The Crabtree and Evelyn Balms in any of their three fragrances are also highly effective. The nice thing about these (amongst others) is that not only do they moisturize, but that they are absorbed rapidly and leave a non-greasy, matte finish after use.
I am sure that there are a large number of inexpensive altrenatives. I like the idea of layering my fragrances and therefore have several "fragranced" ASBs. The one go to ASB that I use when there is not a layered fragrance available is the Truefitt and Hill Classic, exceptional for moisturing and anti-feu. Modestly astringent.

Top Bottom