What's new

Looking for Adjustable DE shaver recommendations for newbie

I am new to DE shaving and own a Merkur 34C and am considering buying an adjustable DE razor.

I would love any suggestions as I know nothing about the adjustable DE razors. I am open to buying both vintage and new razors.

I'd vote for a Fatboy/Slim/Super Adjustable. I have ranked them in order of aesthetic appeal (my personal two cents). I really like my Fatboy.

If I were looking for a vintage adjustable that was also a good deal, I'd get a Slim. Gold if it didn't cost much more. Gold . . . :thumbup:

I'd say hit some antique stores and see if you can find a deal on a vintage Gillette. The prices on eBay have been crazy lately. You could almost get a new Progress or Futur for about the same money as you'd pay there. They're all good razors though. You won't go wrong with any of them.

I am new to DE shaving and own a Merkur 34C and am considering buying an adjustable DE razor.

I would love any suggestions as I know nothing about the adjustable DE razors. I am open to buying both vintage and new razors.

Hi Radwyn: If you like your 34C, then you would like a Merkur Progress or Futur.

WARHAWK

I have all the Gillette Adjustables and each model has it's own following. My personal preference is the Fat Boy, great shaving experience every time.

I have a slim, fatboy, and futur. I would not recommend the futur as the head is big. I prefer the slim over the fatboy, because of the different head shape (flatter), longer handle, and asking price. If your dead set on the fatboy watch BST here as they usually go fast.

$IMAG0181.jpg
futur-fatboy-slim
$IMAG0182.jpg

I have a slim, super adjustable, and fatboy. I give the fatboy a slight edge for esthetics. They all shave great and are fun to experiment with. I enjoy shaving with a vintage razor; you are shaving with history.

Thanks for all the advice and the pics. I like them all I would love to try a Fat Boy or one of the other vintage Gillettes , I'll have to keep my eyes open for one. The Merkur progress and Futur sound interesting too. I suppose I better do some research on them all.

Yes, a Gillette Slim Adjustable would be a great choice. If you watch for the auctions on eBay that occur at odd times of the day/week, you can score one reasonably cheap. Or look for one where the seller says it hasn't been cleaned. These old razors clean up magnificently if you take your time and soak them in hot water ( not boiling) long enough. I see Slims go all the time for under $40. Sometimes a lot less. An antique dealer will hit you as hard as that also, so no matter where you get one , if you pay less than $40 you got a good deal. As was said before, there is something special about shaving with a piece of history. Whatever you chose, enjoy!!! And have a good night.

Gillett Slim adjustable or super adjustable, or a Merkur Progress. The head of the Fatboy does not shave as well due to its profile, in my opinion.

Of the three, the Progress shaves the best. In terms of aesthetics, the Slim rules.

Here's another callout on the Gillette Slim Adjustable. Set it low and join the League of Extremely Mild Shavers.

I cracked and ordered a Merkur Futur mainly because it is affordable and new so requires little hunting. I want to get a Gillette Slim or Fat Boy also but finding one is gonna take awhile so many USA sellers want $30+ for postage alone. The mint and re-plated Gillettes look beautiful.

I cracked and ordered a Merkur Futur mainly because it is affordable and new so requires little hunting. I want to get a Gillette Slim or Fat Boy also but finding one is gonna take awhile so many USA sellers want $30+ for postage alone. The mint and re-plated Gillettes look beautiful.

The Futur is a fine razor. It is on the aggressive side. Start at one and work your way up as you get used to the weight and feel of this razor. Let the razor's weight do all the work. You don't want to add any pressure. I found Feather blades worked great for me with the Futur.

Enjoy!

I purchased a futur at Christmas and I love it. I gave my 34c to my brother in law to get him started. I would agree with the others to start low in the adjustment range but I set it to 6 for myself. I don't find it too big. Just take your time. I use Astra sp blades.

Any of the Gillette Adjustable razors would be great. Just make certain that the blade falls as it should, and the safety bars are properly aligned.

Ok great to hear everyone's opinions I now have a Gillette Slim in the mail also. It will be interesting to see how a Slim on the mild settings goes with my stubble.

Last edited:
Top Bottom