What's new

Looking for a Vintage

Ok never tried a Vintage razor. The ones that I have seen listed in the BST are usually pitted, tarnised, bent combs, missing parts, etc. Is it possible to get one in excellent condition? I have read good things about the New RFB. Thoughts? Also where would I buy - just keep reading the BST to see if something in excellent condition pops up? Are they any better than a R89? Is the mystique shaving with something your Dad shaved with in WW2?

I would not necessarily be concerned with perfection if I just wanted to try one out. If it shaves well... it shaves well. However, if you are buying as a collectible so be it. If you have the money you can certainly find one in excellent shape (you can even stumble upon one at a great price if patience is in your skill set).

It took me since March to find a Tech worth buying, so hang in there. I browse the big resale sites, but look at the pics carefully. Some sellers don't know what they have and others think crappy razors are worth a fortune. Just be patient.

I suggest trying a Tech, Slim, SS or FatBoy.

Don’t worry about perfection. The question is do vintage razors really appeal to you? To answer that question you need to try a few, then decide whether the price of ‘perfection’ is worth it for you. Just my $0.02!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Would a vintage razor be better than an EJ, only you'll be able to decide that after you use them both.

Condition is mostly cosmetic but I'm sure there are some that are beat and bashed. When it comes to Gillette Old Types, look for straight teeth and avoid any with bent teeth. There are some around, even boxed, for $20 or less but look filthy. They can be easily cleaned and shine like new again with little effort in little time.

See some I bought last year.

L to R.

Made in Canada Gillette Old Type. Made in England Gillette Old Type copy. Gillette Tech, M1 Gillette Slim.

IMG_2637.JPG

The Canadian has a New common bar handle, not correct but it works fine. The razor head itself is perfectly straight.

The made in England copy and the Tech have mismatched handles so I bought both. The Slim was in perfect condition.

Notice the tarnish on the handle the Tech has. Many vintage Gillettes will have the same amount of tarnish. Its only cosmetic and as I said can be cleaned easily.

After a quick cleaning.

IMG_2648.jpg

Of the 12 or so DE's I own, that little gem is one of my favorites.

I also have a Gillette Single Ring from 1916, if I remember right, and yeah, to me theres a certain satisfaction in using something thats more than 100 years old.

Where to find them hmmm. Anywhere you think they might be sold. Below is a little honey hole about 15 minutes from me in a small one stop sign town.

Untitled.jpg

Anytime you come across a little place like that, stop and look. You never know what you might find.

... Many vintage Gillettes will have the same amount of tarnish. Its only cosmetic and as I said can be cleaned easily. ...
Yup.
Thrift Shop '46 Aristocrat before, with plate loss, scratches, and pitting on the head rendering it too rough to comfortably shave with ...
... and after some sanding (1200 grit) and polishing:
(Still missing the end caps, but who cares.)
That was the worst case I've come across, but now it's one of my favourite TTOs.

If you are looking for razors on auction sites be selective only bid on razors with clear photos that show the razor in good light, well focused and from all angles. Examine closely. Some people list user grade razors with aspirational pricing, avoid them. Know and set a price of acquistion limitation. Do not sweat losing a bid. If you think a razor is overpriced, make an offer and call it firm and give a short reason for the offer. I am sure you will find yourself with many takers. Do not fall in love, with a pictured razor, look for utility. If you can, try to follow a design series and learn the details of a product line.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yup.
Thrift Shop '46 Aristocrat before, with plate loss, scratches, and pitting on the head rendering it too rough to comfortably shave with ...
That was the worst case I've come across, but now it's one of my favourite TTOs.

A little sandpaper and some polishing can do wonders. You did a fantastic job on that one John! I had to have a closer look.

100_6878.JPG

A nice even finish with no waves. Great Job!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
The Vintage Gillette RFB is a open comb Razor as are all the Gillette NEW type .
As a few other people have said it would be better to find one that is not in pristine condition if you just want to try out a few different models. And if you find out that you really love the shave you get with one, then you can go get the pristine condition one.

thanks for all the good advice! I'll scale down my expectations. There are many flea markets, garage sales, & BST so I'll look for something reasonably priced.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The RFB is a lofty goal for your first vintage. Hard to find, and expensive in good shape. Beware of bent teeth on those. Better off finding a user grade NEW LC, and if you like that, then aspire to finding an RFB. I have found many Long Comb NEWs at the local flea markets in the $10 to $15 range. Decent RFB’s are usually in the $80 and up range. Saying all that, the RFB is an amazing razor! Something to look forward too.

You can still spot RFBs quite often on that well known auction site here in the UK. Prices don't seem anywhere as high as in the US, unlike with Aristocrats and other "must have" vintage models. You just need to know exactly what you're after and have a bit of patience, because you'll need to trawl through a lot of items with very vague descriptions.

Yup.

Great work!!:a14::a14:

In my first six weeks of DE shaving I picked up a three types of Gillette Tech. Two unused with the original cellophane on the heads. One that looked totally unused. An unused flat bottom NEW and a Souplex open comb which also looks unused. They are available and if patient can be picked up at a reasonable price. From my searching RFB's seem to be rarer in near mint condition but there seem to be plenty of "useable" examples available. Now over my initial RAD but still keeping a patient eye out for nice examples of certain types.

Some vintage are superb shavers. It is quite possible to get ones in excellent condition, just watch BST & they come up regularly. I had many modern razors, but since I've started using vintage, I've sold all the modern. IMHO, I prefer the shave of vintage.

You can still spot RFBs quite often on that well known auction site here in the UK. Prices don't seem anywhere as high as in the US, unlike with Aristocrats and other "must have" vintage models. You just need to know exactly what you're after and have a bit of patience, because you'll need to trawl through a lot of items with very vague descriptions.

This is exactly how I found an RFB (with case) that's headed my way for 19 Euro + postage.

Nothing in the description says RFB, and pics were barely clear enough to ID it.

Ok never tried a Vintage razor. The ones that I have seen listed in the BST are usually pitted, tarnised, bent combs, missing parts, etc. Is it possible to get one in excellent condition? I have read good things about the New RFB. Thoughts? Also where would I buy - just keep reading the BST to see if something in excellent condition pops up? Are they any better than a R89? Is the mystique shaving with something your Dad shaved with in WW2?

Plenty of various priced very good condition vintage razors on the bay or Esty.

The vintage razors that are the best shavers out of all vintage and modern razors are the Gillette Rhodium British Aristocrats. I have a 21 in immaculate condition it's the mother shave of razors. In my opinion anyway. I own 50 razors by the way. If you want a razor for prestige a Fatboy fits that category. But if you want a razor that will give you a smooth and comfortable shave I would reccomend the Gillette Knack or Gillette Slim Twist or even the Schick Krona. They are inexpensive and you find them for 20 bucks on eBay. They are very underrated. But everyone who has shaved with these will give thumbs up.

Top Bottom