What's new

Looking for a Rescue Dog

My beloved Golden Gracie passed away about 18 months ago. I'm finally ready for another dog. This time around I'm looking for a rescue. I'd like a young dog, a year old or younger and I'm certainly open to a puppy. I'm a runner, not a very good one, but a runner nonetheless and would like to hit the pavement and trails with my future dog.

I've never rescued a dog and I've only had Golden Retrievers in my life. I love Goldens, but they are prone to several health problems (bad allergies in particular) and I'd really like a dog that doesn't have to deal with those problems. And with the abundance of homeless dogs, if possible, I'd like to find one that needs a home.

Indy had a big adoption event this weekend and I went to it. I went last evening, but all the dogs were gone and this morning there were hundreds of people and only 80 dogs available. Thankfully the event was such a success, but sadly for me, I didn't find my pooch.

Any advice on adoption/rescue dogs and the accompanying process?

Thanks for any advice!

Our past three dogs have been rescue dogs. My suggestion would be to come up with a list of a few shelters in your area and pay them a visit. You could also call if you have a specific type of dog in mind, but just realize that the most popular types are always gone right away. Also, keep an open mind. For example, black dogs tend to be pretty unpopular because people think they are fierce, but we took a chance on one and loved him very much up until the day that he passed away.

As far as process, the dogs are normally free of charge with vaccinations included, but a donation (usually $100) is recommended.

Rescue Dogs RULE.....

https://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelter_id=IN113&status=A&animal=Dog&preview=1

But keep in mind, you may end up some health problems too. In the end, they are the best dogs out there regardless of any issues that may arise.

We paid $130 for ours, came with shots, 6 mos pet insurance and her spaying, which was booked when she was of age. We signed papers agreeing to random spot checks (they never have), can't sell her, can't alter her (tail, ears, declaw etc) and agreed to background checks with our veterinarian, neighbours and allowed them to check our yard for suitable run space. A good shelter won't just want to get rid of the dog and out of their care, they want it to go to a loving home and one that will care for the dog and not leave it outside 24hrs a day or inside 24hrs a day for that matter.

Good on you for looking at rescues, there are some great ones out there and all deserve a home.

Rita thanks you too. :thumbup1:

View attachment 467015

Last edited:
All my dogs, barring one Silver Shepard, was a rescue dog. If you are looking for a specific breed, an internet search should guide you to organizations in your area. I have noticed a great deal of greyhound rescues in the neighborhood as of late. Best wishes.

Process depends on the organization.

Since you have owned dogs you certainly will know traits and temperaments and what to look for good and bad. You don't need advice, there, most likely.

But a word of caution. It's a myth that mutts are healthier. On the one hand, genetic diseases tend to be found in pure bred dogs, but then on the other hand you can research blood lines and increase your odds of buying a healthy dog with the temperament you want. Mutts on the other hand are mixed breed with the same problems found in the pure breeds, and mostly unknown ancestry.

My advice is just decide on the general size you are looking for, and hair type if that's important, and look for an individual you like. And if you get a puppy and it starts vomiting and diarrhea, don't wait, get it to a vet as soon as possible.

I've had pure bred dogs (Dobermans) and several mutts. We have two mutts now. I love them all.

What about Leonard?

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/29182886/
$download.jpg

My past three family dogs have been rescues. My parents' current dog is a Golden they got from the pound. He was terribly underweight and pretty beaten up but he's a great dog. Good ol Murphy.

Either way, all we've ever done is go to the Humane Societies close by and look around. Once my wife and I move into our house, we're headed to the shelters to choose ours.

Bless you for wanting a rescue. There's great advice here.

Our latest rescue is from Georgia, but took to Maine pretty well. Be prepared for issues and be thankful when they're minor ones.

$Lady - processed & HDR - JPEG - reduced 35%.jpg

Edit: somebody ought to bump the "show us your pets" post.

I'm amazed to find that there were more people than adoptable dogs at the event you attended. I didn't think that EVER happened.

Beerman

Mixed breeds tend to be healthier. Many dogs are genetically inclined to run for a bit, rest a bit, run a bit. Just like they play. Other breeds such as those used in sled dog competitions are born to run. I mention this because I have seen too many runners over the years subject their dogs to terrible misfortune. Worn out pads, heat exhaustion, and stroke. Most dogs will go until they drop because they are bonded to you and will do anything to please you. It is best to be worthy of that trust and love.

Rescue dogs make the best pets in my opinion. They seem to know and are truly grateful. Some may come with issues including behavioral problems. It is best to be patient and lovingly work thru their issues. It is worth it. I adopted Katie from a shelter when she was 1 1/2 years old. I had the joy and love of her friendship for over 10 years. She died almost 2 years ago and I still grieve the loss.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 121
We used petfinder.com This was a good choice since the majority of the dogs there are rescued dogs that have spent some time with a foster familly.

$sam.jpg

Sam came to us when he was 2 years old. My wife found his picture on pet finder.

May want to look into any services that provide service dogs to handicapped/returning veterans or the like. They many times have "washouts" that for whatever reason can't continue to receive the rigorous training to become a service dog. My folks got a dog that way from a foundation that provides dogs to returning service folks with various needs.

Personally I've had 2 rescue dogs, one I still have, the other we had to say goodbye to a few years ago.

I received a quasi 'rescue dog' as a puppy last December. His mom was a Pitt-Bull, his father was a Dalmatian. Many families were hesitant to adopt a dog with any Pitt-Bull in it. So far, he is proving to be a loving member to our house. The picture shows him with my wife in late March when he was about 4.5 months old.

$20140323_Guardding Adele.jpg

We got our lab/GSD mix from Lab Rescue. I do not think it is that unusual for the specialized breed rescue organizations to offer some mixed breed dogs, although the particular mixes may be pretty refined. Lab Rescue, at least, does a heck of a good vetting the dogs and the people around here, anyway.

I don't know where you are located but if you are near DC check out Lucky Dog Animal Rescue. I have been dealing with them for years. They are truly a great organization. I encourage everyone at least like their fb page. They do amazing work. And don't forget to spay and neuter.

You laugh but my wife is the manager of a spay and neuter clinic in SC. Today they spayed and neutered a dog today. It had both and the owner couldn't tell.

Top Bottom