What's new

Looking for a really soft brush - reccomendations

I value softness above all other qualities in a brush. I sifted through at least three dozen synthetics (the synth pass around was a great resource) before settling on the Motherlode knot.

It is cloud-like on the face, whips up lather easily and quickly, and it holds water better than other synthetics. This is not a brush for people who want backbone. And it does require more swirls to pick up soap from the puck.

You can get it at Elite Razor: 24mm Mother Lode – Elite Razor - https://eliterazor.com/product/24mm-mother-lode/

Which one is the better Cashmere brush? As the eminent philosopher Neil Young wrote: "A nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse" but I'd give a slight nod to the AP Shave Co.
I had the APShaveCo Cashmere at one time and asked a few times for a comparison of someone that had both but never got an answer at the time, although your answer was my suspicion as the APShaveCo was made to different specs per Al at APShaveCo...

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I had the APShaveCo Cashmere at one time and asked a few times for a comparison of someone that had both but never got an answer at the time, although your answer was my suspicion as the APShaveCo was made to different specs per Al at APShaveCo...

I must have missed your original request. Sorry 'bout that.

I really like the Yaqi but once I got the AP Shave Co., it became my Cashmere of choice. :)

YMMV

I have this exact same brush. I got it because I was looking for a step up from my first brush, an Art of Shaving Pure badger. Both the AOS and EJ are the same size. Ironically, my EJ Best has easily as much scritch to it as the AOS Pure. I hate it. I hate them both. They both reside in a bin that sits under a bed in the guest bedroom along with all the other gear I no longer use. Those two brushes have the most scritch of all the 17 brushes in my collection, other than a Parker King Size Pure Badger, which I like because of the large size of the knot. I would not describe this brush as being soft. But then again, like everything shaving, YMMV.
I too have the EJ 'best' badger - my first brush.. also NOT my softest, that award goes to my omega boar (well broken in), the EJ is the scratchiest I have two boars and three synths (all chinese, Yaqi and DS cosmetics). In fact, the EJ leaves my skin irritated post shave, worse than a rough blade. I've stopped using it.

I too have the EJ 'best' badger - my first brush.. also NOT my softest, that award goes to my omega boar (well broken in), the EJ is the scratchiest I have two boars and three synths (all chinese, Yaqi and DS cosmetics). In fact, the EJ leaves my skin irritated post shave, worse than a rough blade. I've stopped using it.

I had an EJ in best and sold straight away for what I paid - it should have been labelled Pure. So much scritch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I’ve had the Timberwolf and SHD badger brush for a few weeks now.

They are both great brushes! However, I now have a clear cut winner. The Timberwolf is so soft, and creates the best lather out of all 3 brushes I own.

Every shave I have, I go for the Timberwolf. Definitely my favourite.

The SHD is great, but a lot more scratchy than my Kent. Think I’ll have to break it in more before it softens a bit.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My softest brush is a Kent BK8. It's a great brush, but I suspect it's just like yours only bigger (which might be just what you're looking for).

Synthetics are generally pretty soft, but not like your Kent. But they're cheap, so if you're just looking to experiment it's hard to go wrong there.

I have a huge Parker silvertip that was my first brush. It was around $65 on Amazon and is a real lather eater that I would normally never recommend, but it is huge and soft.

No boar is soft like your Kent, even after they break in.

Top Bottom