What's new

Looking for a really high-end expensive brush

Hi
I am looking for the "best of the best" kind of a brush
I want a size 24-26 knot
Prefer a 2-band style, that will be soft on the tips (love making the cream over my face and not in a bowel)
Anway
I was thinking one of those
1) Simpsons Chubby 2 Manchurian Badger
2) Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band
3) H.L. Thater Two Band Fan (like the Wild Olive Wood 4125 with Two Band Fan Rounded Knot)

What do you say? anything else?
And what will you suggest buy and why?
Want something truly amazing, real high quality badger

DSC00465.JPGThe nicest brush I've ever owned was a Thater, and although it is a vintage brush, they continue to maintain high standards to-day..
There was a time they sourced European Badger, but I believe they get badger-hair from China now, as most others do.
Still, they continue to employ skilled bristle-dressers who practise the dying art of forming and tying knots by hand.
The company offers a full range of sizes and types and has a complement of varied, beautiful handles to choose from.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
A Chubby 2 is 27mm although in Manchurian it will feel and perform small due to the lack of splay. My sweet spot is 22mm to 24mm and I love scrubby two band brushes. You have a choice of something like Simpson, which you can order from stock, or maybe work with Mark if you want something special. Or you can go down the route of 'artisan' brushes which are made in very limited numbers, released in scheduled brush drops, and which sell out in 30 seconds, usually at 3am. The current fashion is for knots larger than your preference with 28mm upwards being the norm so I suggest that rules out Paladin, Brad Sears etc. Black Eagle make some 25mm brushes but they are very hard to obtain and expensive. There is a tendency with brushes, and everything else to think that if it is rare, expensive, and hard to obtain then it must be better, and maybe it is. My favourite brushes are Chubby 1 Manchurian and a Duke 3 Manchurian, and also some Semogue LE two band Finest brushes and I can highly recommend them. Good luck.

If you want the best of the best and in 2 band, you are looking at one of these:

declaration grooming
Mozingo brushworks
The varlet ($500)

Wont mention black eagle since its impossible to get.

SV make lovely brushes. Very similar 6o Chubby range with beautifully made handles. Mine has never shed any hairs whereas my chubby3 does so.

For some reason I thought to get the bestest of the bestest, your brush had to be blessed by French monks in a secret abbey whilst lovingly being created by plucking the most rarest of hair from that most exquisite badger that resides only on the most highest of mountains, like some mythical phoenix?

The Varlet is the best I've used. When I bought mine, they weren't the most expensive option, but they have become the most expensive option since they've gone all-custom. I'm glad I got some when prices were lower.

Chubby's are routinely offered in exotic hair and handle material. Meh...

These fit your parameters and desire for the exotic. Outstanding face latering handle.

Owen Bawn;
Oh lets derail for moment! All I can say is you have fine tastes in a brush sir! My knot is a Best however, Simpson currently has a couple of LE's Manchurian's looking for a new home, Ruby and Ebony. They don't appear to have the rather billboard-y logo of the Ebony in Best either!

proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
Oh my. I need to somehow convince my wife that the *26th* is actually (little known fact) the RUBY wedding anniversary. Also my birthday is coming up. And I stepped on a bee. Anything.

Top Bottom