What's new

Looking for a post-shave moisturizer/sunscreen combo for scalp use

My go-to after shave product for my dome is Anthony Logistics After Shave Balm. I started taking a medication that increases the risk of sun burn, however, so I need to start using sunscreen on my scalp as well. Does anyone have any recommendations for a product that meets these qualifications? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

- Post-shave moisturizer for my shaved head with an SPF of at least 30
- Non-comedogenic
- Suitable for oily skin
- Goes on with a matte finish
- Fragrance free (ideally)

I’ve used CeraVe AM, which is SPF 30 and I’ve used EltaMD Spf45, and EltaMD Spf50. Of the three, I prefer the CeraVe because it goes on easier. The EltaMD creams both tend to leave you pale looking due to the high titanium oxide content. they are also thicker. You can get to where you aren’t pale looking with them, it just takes more work.

A word about sunscreen. There are two ways to protect your skin with sunscreen. Chemical and physical. The chemical sunscreen blocks the UV rays using clear chemicals while the physical blockers use titanium oxide or some alternative to physically block the sun’s rays.

Since I’m prone to skin cancer, I prefer the physical blocker. I’ve had more AKs frozen off than I care to think about, and two squamous cells that claimed a large chunk of flesh. So I don’t take chances.

on’t look if you are squeamish!

38B80C4E-E68A-4519-A62D-05D3CF1C85F3.jpeg

if you don’t already wear a wide brimmed hat, get one. It’s the best sunscreen of all for the dome.

E8599BCC-A1C8-402A-B257-6D45454CB8A1.jpeg

Well said Tex. I’m prone to the same issues as you so I’m pretty much the sunscreen/hat cop around our house.

a full brimmed Tilley is my choice of hat most days.

I’ve used CeraVe AM, which is SPF 30 and I’ve used EltaMD Spf45, and EltaMD Spf50. Of the three, I prefer the CeraVe because it goes on easier. The EltaMD creams both tend to leave you pale looking due to the high titanium oxide content. they are also thicker. You can get to where you aren’t pale looking with them, it just takes more work.

A word about sunscreen. There are two ways to protect your skin with sunscreen. Chemical and physical. The chemical sunscreen blocks the UV rays using clear chemicals while the physical blockers use titanium oxide or some alternative to physically block the sun’s rays.

Since I’m prone to skin cancer, I prefer the physical blocker. I’ve had more AKs frozen off than I care to think about, and two squamous cells that claimed a large chunk of flesh. So I don’t take chances.

on’t look if you are squeamish!

if you don’t already wear a wide brimmed hat, get one. It’s the best sunscreen of all for the dome.

View attachment 1296231
I just realized I am in error over the ingredient in the physical UV blocker. It’s not Titanium Oxide, but Zinc Oxide.

Well said Tex. I’m prone to the same issues as you so I’m pretty much the sunscreen/hat cop around our house.

a full brimmed Tilley is my choice of hat most days.
I’m partial to the large brimmed Fedora, such as I’m wearing in the photo. I also have a black Stetson for winter called the “Gambler”. It’s more of a riverboat gambler style than the traditional Fedora.

Reactions: ike
I like the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer range. They go on clear, are dry to touch and don’t clog pores. They are also easy on freshly shaved skin.

A wide brim Akubra or Panama hat is my first line of defence on sunny days.

73D06807-0403-467E-B635-12A23A995E24.jpeg

Reactions: ike
Top Bottom