What's new

Looking for a poker.....corn cob?

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse

Looking for a poker, yes we play cards LOL!

Anyone ever try one of these? Or any corn cob pipe?

Not looking to spend a bunch of money and these fit the bill, but are they actually smokeable and reasonably durable, or more novelty?

Wow that corn cob is ugly, but if they smoke decent who cares, right?

So who has tried Missouri Meerschaum and is willing to share their experience?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Missouri Cobs are great pipes. What they may lack in aesthetics, they certainly make up for in smoking characteristics. I currently have four, I think. They actually make great pipes fro sampling tobaccos, so you don't "ghost" a briar with the flavours.

If you can't get over the look of cobs, and want a cheap pipe that looks a little less agricultural, my Mr Brog pearwood pipes smoke well, although they do have a tendency to get hot.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
I do not have the poker style cobs but I do have about 15-18 other cobs whether I’ve bought them straight up from the company or another vendor (Aristocob). About half the ones I have I’ve done my own modifications from either adding a simple stem switch to cutting, dying and sealing them for projects. I can attest to their smokablity and can say flat out the for me, the Country Gentleman cob is perhaps the best pipe out there IRT packing, draw and ease of smoke. If all the ones I’ve used so far smoke as well as the ones you are looking at, I wouldn’t be too concerned about getting one for the cost. Not that they are necessarily an “investment” but cobs, imho, are a great pipe to have in one’s rotation. I just happen to have more than average.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have several cobs, the Charles Towne Cobbler is the best looking, IMHO and smokes great. I also have the Dagnar Poker...be advised that it is a bit stubby, if that matters to you, sort of a "nose warmer", but smokes just fine.

ylekot

I have several cobs, the Charles Towne Cobbler is the best looking, IMHO and smokes great. I also have the Dagnar Poker...be advised that it is a bit stubby, if that matters to you, sort of a "nose warmer", but smokes just fine.

Thank you for the info! Stubby is fine, I just want to be able to set it down and pick it up without needing a stand or whatnot and be stable and not take up a bunch of real estate on the table.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Thank you for the info! Stubby is fine, I just want to be able to set it down and pick it up without needing a stand or whatnot and be stable and not take up a bunch of real estate on the table.

My kind of pipes too!

20211102_042728.jpg

:biggrin1:

Cobs are great for smoking. They smoke just as well as my most expensive pipes, and better than many of my other briars. All mine sit and stay as well, but there's a couple out there that don't. Yes, they are pug fugly and the bits really kinda suck. But for the price I can live with the bits, and if I'm holding the bowl (the cob itself) the ugliness fades away.

"Disposable if it gets wrecked" is a good way to phrase it. They'll last longer than I will with care. But if I'm doing something with a pipe that might hurt the pipe (fishing, for example), cobs are what I grab for a couple reasons. It's easier to replace a $10 cob than a $150 pipe. And they're light and dummy-proof enough that I can clamp down and hold it in my teeth as long as needed.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
And thank you, before your inquiry, I was not aware of the Merrick Cob Poker. When I went to purchase it, I saw the Dagner Diamond Poker and snagged that one to!

ylekot

Cobs are great for smoking. They smoke just as well as my most expensive pipes, and better than many of my other briars. All mine sit and stay as well, but there's a couple out there that don't. Yes, they are pug fugly and the bits really kinda suck. But for the price I can live with the bits, and if I'm holding the bowl (the cob itself) the ugliness fades away.

"Disposable if it gets wrecked" is a good way to phrase it. They'll last longer than I will with care. But if I'm doing something with a pipe that might hurt the pipe (fishing, for example), cobs are what I grab for a couple reasons. It's easier to replace a $10 cob than a $150 pipe. And they're light and dummy-proof enough that I can clamp down and hold it in my teeth as long as needed.
Fishing was exactly what I was thinking when I typed that!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have many cobs, including a couple of the Dagner pokers. They're great smoking pipes like everyone has said. If you like the looks, go for it!

Fishing was exactly what I was thinking when I typed that!
Cobs bring something else to the old fishing hole, something wonderful and as yet unmentioned. They are incredibly light and about as incredibly balanced. You'll hardly feel it in your jaw waiting for the fish to decide if they like your bait. That alone should get your attention for tackle box duty. As well as being able to smoke the same cob all day long with minimal ill effects.

ylekot

Cobs bring something else to the old fishing hole, something wonderful and as yet unmentioned. They are incredibly light and about as incredibly balanced. You'll hardly feel it in your jaw waiting for the fish to decide if they like your bait. That alone should get your attention for tackle box duty. As well as being able to smoke the same cob all day long with minimal ill effects.
Yep I'm going to pick one up. I'm guessing a known quantity like a Missouri Meerschaum is a better choice than an unknown made in China one made from wood. Pretty don't make it smoke!

Good call! And the ugliness isn't really a problem in the end. It doesn't really count because it's a cob. So you may be smoking an ugly pipe, but you're really not because it's a cob and cobs don't count.

Top Bottom